Baffled

S

sillymunchie

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pokerstars let people lose with AA against AK to often and then when tilting let u win a smaller pot with K3 orso, so people deposit more to win back 4 times faster what they just got screwed over, but then it all starts over again, people calling with QJ on a A-10-2 board hoping for that King for a straight, and more then the odds should allow they hit more then you should win, its all a big scam

There used to be a player and i dont recall what site he played on but he went through thousands and thousands of hands, and he felt that the aces were cracked too often until he checked the stats on holdem manager and it revealed that the aces won as many times as you would expect

he used to point out its hard to remember the times we win with our big hands but we never forget the loss' they stand out far more

but as far as scams are concerned, daniel negreanu once said in his book, if you dont trust a site dont use it because trust between sites n players are the most important aspect that keeps players coming back, they have alot more to lose then us by not being legit

B

BadluckBubba

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There used to be a player and i dont recall what site he played on but he went through thousands and thousands of hands, and he felt that the aces were cracked too often until he checked the stats on holdem manager and it revealed that the aces won as many times as you would expect

he used to point out its hard to remember the times we win with our big hands but we never forget the loss' they stand out far more

but as far as scams are concerned, daniel negreanu once said in his book, if you dont trust a site dont use it because trust between sites n players are the most important aspect that keeps players coming back, they have alot more to lose then us by not being legit

Ive been tracking my aces vs 1 opponent all in preflop with HM2 as well. Im at 54% win ratio. Up over 180 total aces now.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The wrong thing is " you take the gamble to reach at final table even you are in middle position."
The right tactics is to have and maintain 20-25 BBs till the last 9th position. There is no need to take risk till final table if you have around 20 BBs and in final table just avoid playing Allins. Focus on your position. Make deep carefull note about the tactics of your opponents.
Always avoid Allins in late phases of the game if you are having 20 BBs or more. Remember when BBs are 10000. You have stack size of 200000. When Bbs are 50000. You have stack size of 1000000. So if you just maintain you chipstack around 20 BBS you are already having decent stack size to challenge any opponent.
Always try to preserve your stack then to sacrifice it like in chasing a flush draw or a gut shot straight till River.
Remember at middle late phases only experienced players survive and at this level winning hand get decided mostly at Flop. So do not act like a fish at this point.
So just practice and imbibe the steps in your game.
Best of luck.
I would like to add that chasing that draw is not really wrong provided you have odds to call.

vezy4iy

vezy4iy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do only once in the prize came so constantly drop out.This FAQ full.:D

M

Mauno

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Probably more solid confident play and less risks will help you yo stay in game :)

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just dont understand how certain people win these tournaments all tge time. I played tournaments all weekend and min cashed in 2 out of like 15 maybe more. I consistently make it to the late middle stages and the same thing happens everytime I take a gamble trying to get chips to make the final table. I dont know what I am doing wrong?
1. Certain people don't win these MTTs all the time. It seems like they do because they put in a ton of volume, but there (usually) is a ton of games in between.

2. 15 games w/ 2 cashes is a tiny sample size. You also have to consider the fact that MTTs are variance heavy. I play micro stakes as well and I just got over a 43 game downswing (only 95 games played). I busted out of that downswing with an MTT win. It took ~50 games in between my first and 2nd MTT win. In those 50 games, with the 43 game downswing, I made 3 FTs and the rest were min cashes.

Just want to emphasize that variance and downswings happen in MTTs and it. It happens to the pros as well. Shaun Deeb is famous for going on a 57 game downswing. So, 15 games is nothing.

3. Can you give some examples of the gambles you're are taking. I take a lot of (necessary) risks in the mid-late stages as well, so we may be on the same page.

Brandlad

Brandlad

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Would you stake ur tourney life just for oodd?

I would like to add that chasing that draw is not really wrong provided you have odds to call.

If my opponent has 20 BBs and I have 40 BBs. Flop has provided me a Set. My opponent is looking for a Flush draw. He missed that at turn and Now River is the only boon he has got. I have given Allins here making odds very bad so either he stake his entire tourney life or just fold.

The few things which one must follow is if I am a heavy Stack holder against a shallow stack I would do few Flush chase but against equal stack holder or where chasing would harm my stack badly or where my tourney life would be at risk I would avoid it.

Ricey155

Ricey155

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great read and great thread, my view how many times I get dragged into a hand with off suited picture cards be it aj, kj, a10, very dangerous cards look inviting yet suck all your cash away !! You never fully understand if your ahead your just hoping for the luck call.

Playing tight from today :)

16clumsyandshy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In case you are looking to change your game, look at other winning players, or other players at your table that you just hate getting into pots with. What are they doing to make you fold? Maybe you can work some of that into your game.

16clumsyandshy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also in tournaments you cannot just wait for hands. Shoving pre flop against players with smaller or similar stack size with marginal hands works good for this. Works better than simply raising and c betting because you wont always hit the flop. It's more likely they they fold pre and you pick up a small pot

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
I have a question for you, you have 13 bb your opponent has 16 has 12 players in the tournament the blinds will go up missing 1 minute is folded you are in the sb 72 What would you do?

This is a good question.
There usually isn't a pay bump between 12 and 10 so easy shove in my opinion.

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
I just dont understand how certain people win these tournaments all tge time. I played tournaments all weekend and min cashed in 2 out of like 15 maybe more. I consistently make it to the late middle stages and the same thing happens everytime I take a gamble trying to get chips to make the final table. I dont know what I am doing wrong?

These certain people maybe actually be good and experienced at MTT or sometimes just lucky (people go on heaters all the time). You sometimes only see the final tables and don't take into account how many tournaments these players actually play and how many times they fall short of the final table or even the money bubble for that matter.

2 of 15 cashes is not too shabby if you play long enough you would go long stretches without a cash sometimes 50+ tournaments.

I did not understand some of your post on the one hand you said your issue was you gamble in spots before a final table but then if this was before a final table your should already be ITM and not even as low as a min cash.

A

amadeusace

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Because they use the same successful strategy 😉

Btw... If you get a 10-15% ITM is really good and you have the fundamentals to go further. Try to review your hands, after bubble, with a successful player and you will see big difference. At most you pay 200-400 for a pro player to have 3-4 sessions.

D

Dan Perkins

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ilike and agree with freestocks advice. I also think luck has a lot to do with it, but knowing how to play inbetween those lucky hands is the key.

H

HiSavin

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
“Poker, a day to learn and a lifetime to master.” -- Robert Williamson III

That is one of my favorite quotes because it's so true. Poker is a constant challenge because just when you start feeling like you're good, you realize how much more there is to learn.

When you feel you're in a rut, make sure you haven't stopped learning. Likely it just means you need to study more and try to move to the next level in your game. There is a lot of good advice in this thread about how to do that.