AQ Offsuit

T

Top Top

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't fold there neither 3 bet I will cold call and see a cheaper flop if there's a 3bet from later position and the Initial raiser 4 bets or snap call I will fold it otherwise if they give me the chance to see and to connect to flop I will lead there and take the potfor sure.

M

Mikeloti13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Every decision is good. Did he raise a few times or this is his first time doing it?

sammy22

sammy22

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Every decision is good. Did he raise a few times or this is his first time doing it?

Early in the tournament....he raised from EP and MP here and there. Usually with no callers, so I had no idea what he had.

P

Peter Jankowski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
sure but I would call

S

SkilsToPayBils

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
3 x bb is a standard raise. With AQo from MP you can represent a strong hand. I think I'd 3bet and call and 50% of the time. This is a good hand to try and get information with good opportunities to bluff if you miss the flop. I couldn't imagine folding this hand ubless another player 4bets or shoves.

I'm not an expert though.

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Make a raise and act according to the circumstances,there is no throwing off...

fiddlesticks123

fiddlesticks123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Incidentally, does anyone know the probability of being dealt AQ and someone being dealt AK in the same hand in a 9-man or 6-max game?

slurredreaction

slurredreaction

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If everyone is deepstacked like you're saying it's an easy call to see the flop.

gabpoker

gabpoker

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would usually 3 bet here. This is how you start to get reads. What are you going to do on the flop when you miss and he puts out a continuation bet?

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I’m never folding this hand. Depending on my position I’m either 3betting or calling. AQ is obviously a drawing hand so a lot of my decisions come post flop. I’m not marrying AQ and folding post flop is an easy option. UTG +1 usually is strong so I’m likely flatting.

D

Don K3yKon6g

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I'd better raise to try to isolate the hand and depending on the action of the others I'll think about the hand again.

C

cgcook38

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Incidentally, does anyone know the probability of being dealt AQ and someone being dealt AK in the same hand in a 9-man or 6-max game?

I've been trying to figure this out all day. Anyone know how to calculate this? I know that the first player is easy - there are 12 combinations of AK out of a possible 1,225. So roughly 1% of hands are AK. But it doesn't add up when you start putting more players at the table - so it's not 5% for five other players and 8% for 8, because the first player might have A5 or K7 thereby reducing the odds of all the other players.

Maybe there's already a good post on this in the forum?

X

xsqueezer

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You will never win consistently if you play scared!

W

WarEagle1266

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The quickest way to estimate is to assume you have AQ and then estimate the chances that no one will get AK eight times and then subtract it from 1. My estimate is 0.0757 (7.6%), but in reality it would be a little less than this because this is like the same player drawing 8 times excluding all the other draws in the calculation. Maybe tomorrow I'll get a more accurate number in Excel.

L

LongRover

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In situations where little is known about opponents, players often fall back upon experience. Big raises, bluffs aside, may signal high pairs like AA, KK or QQ rather than other hole cards such as JJ, TT, 99, 88, 77, AKs, AQs or AKo. Intuitive players may fold if they interpret an early tournament 3xBB raise by UTG as meaning those listed above.

A logical player might see a fold as premature. Statistically, AQo hole cards run a 64% chance of being best hand. This means 6,400 times out of 10,000 hands played AQo will win. Being early in the tournament, blinds are low, so from MP, it seems reasonable to call and to see the flop. Still, being MP, LPs have yet to play, and if a re-raise from any LP follows, the situation changes. Why? AQo are good hole cards, but not the best. AQo is the highest card with a fairly high, but not the highest, kicker. Playing AQo calls for a pre-flop bet if deep stacked early in the tournament. It does not call for a re-raise, so, if UTG makes it 3xBB and everyone folds around to MP, then only a call is in order. Where a re-raise from any late position follows a 3xBB from an earlier one, I will almost for sure fold. If UTG then comes over the top of LP, I will most definitely fold.

C

cgcook38

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The quickest way to estimate is to assume you have AQ and then estimate the chances that no one will get AK eight times and then subtract it from 1. My estimate is 0.0757 (7.6%), but in reality it would be a little less than this because this is like the same player drawing 8 times excluding all the other draws in the calculation. Maybe tomorrow I'll get a more accurate number in Excel.

That's what I figured, but I don't know how to set up that math. I'd love to see the file if you end up doing it!

M

mjarom21

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If your going to play it, I like a raise more often to know where you stand. a fold there would be a little on the nitty side, but if that's your strat then it's ok as well.

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
As you do not know much about the other players, you should be careful, I would pay to see the flop and depending on the bet, it is also valid if you do not bet, you could wait a bit more to have a little more information about the players

Jane Franklin

Jane Franklin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Mostly I play as a LAG
Usually, I make 3bet
Reraise
Or push in tournaments

In cash, I play them 99%

I can fold them on tern only

ggf99

ggf99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not sure about fold. In 100bb stack i ll 3 bet AQ'o agains UTG+1( even if no one knows everybody)

Don't know why for me AQ'o smells like JJ. But if i had JJ against UTG+1 i would do just call

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would not fold. I like to not 3 bet with AQo and AKo hands because it squeezes out the Ax which you need in the hand with you to take their entire stack post flop. That being said "scared money never wins." and folding AQo without even much action against you is too tight and too scared. If you get coolered that is another thing like getting an pot sized flop bet then turn shove into you only to find out they got AK that is different. A call here is what I'd do. Play comfortably or dont play.

Best of Luck to you.

swannymojo

swannymojo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would never fold there. The player could have a very strong starting hand given that most people tend to raise with a tight range from up front. Its tricky since its so early in the tourney and no one knew each-other's play. But I'd 3-bet here against looser oponents and flat here against most other opponents. But if you'd have a hard time starting off the tourney down 25% of your stack after your first hand and go on low-key tilt...just fold and come into the game when you feel comfortable.

You always want to play a good game but don't make move you aren't confident enough to be comfortable making...especially on early streets. If your out of your comforts zone on the flop and without a plan for the next two streets...you'll be lost come the turn and will likely play overly passive

B

badameli

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You can fold. You can flat call. AQ is a big drawing hand too. It's early tournament in a deep stack tournament. You can walk away for 30 minutes and it doesn't matter.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually sit out big MTT the first 20-30 minutes as everyone is on their A game. Also under very limited circumstances should you be getting it all in so early in the MTT without the stone cold nuts.