play with good cards
then you can win a lot of chips

Y

Yura Nabok

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of coarse you all know, any two cards can win at any time. My experience is the higher the buy in, the better the play

1putnik

1putnik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you playing reasonable game, such situations like low cards beating a monster hand should not happen. But I must agree with you some people with garbage-cards if they catch low pair from flop calling on your bets till the river and catching set or two pairs on it, and yours top-pair with a top kicker fall down.

Acesinthebig

Acesinthebig

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pocket pairs are becomming harder to play these days, becasue of the veriety of other hands other players are playing. Also one pair hands are generally garbage in poker (AA included). Allin preflop is one thing, but people are playing any two cards from any position and are successful at it. suited connectors will give you better chances to hit flushes and straights and make more dominant hands.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The fact that there are complaints about bad players playing bad hands boggles my beautiful mind.

gjwalk

gjwalk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can think of a few rare circumstances where a player would go all-in with 2-4 or similar. What if you're the Big Blind and half your stack is already in? What if you are big stacked and want to steal some blinds against a very passive, low stacked opponent? I'm not so certain, as others are here, that makes the player a "bad" player just because the draw goes their way.

M

milachka

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Unlikely monster hands

I know I'll sound a little paranoiac, but I often play Spin&Go games on pokerstars with playmoney and I seriously have the impression that Pokerstars tries to make things 'interesting' because the number of unlikely monster hands (straights, flush, full house) I see in these games is simply incredible. I often see 5 such hands in 1 game and a game typically does not last very long.

Is it possible that PS does this in playmoney in order to tempt people to go and play for real money?

AshK44

AshK44

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is the reason I avoid going all in preflop unless I have a way bigger stack than my opponent. Too many times this had happened to me and now it happens way less...tighten up your betting preflop and see if this happens less to you.

M

mishu

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know it's hard to get over a bad beat, but the main thing you have to remember is that most of the time you will win in this exact situation. So keep the tilt away and good luck at the tables!

N

neafana

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The worst hand is winning about 20% of the time against any big pair. So 1 in 5 hands you are losing as a favorite. So also trash can win. You will see that your Aces, or Kings, in the long run, are winning big:))).

Trick1988

Trick1988

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depending on position and my read on the other players I can easily make certain plays with pretty much any 2 cards

Herkstwin

Herkstwin

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Strategy is key, but poker is not a game where the most strategic will win all the time, so you just have to get used to the callers, and take as many wins as the odds will allow. If you want to see more dumb luck in a game of poker, play limit poker, so many people stay in on the stupidest hands and it always seems like they hit the nuts on the river.

Yes, strategy is the key. I think we use the word "luck" too often when playing poker. The outcome of each hand is random. Any two cards can win a hand, with the right board hitting them.

What separates the winners from the losers is the LONG-TERM results based on playing hands with positive expectation rather than negative expectation. Yes, a donk can match his 2-4 offsuit a certain percentage of the time, but not often enough to be long-term profitable.

Good poker players do not despair. They know that there is a lot of dead money for the taking - and if the donk winds with his 2-4 once in a while, he will be encouraged to continue his mistakes. Take advantage of them.

M

milachka

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Just an example of the quick succession of

Here a little example I just recorded, it is by no means an extreme example of how PS appears to want to make the game 'interesting'. This seems to happen all the time. Could I get your opinion on whether this game looks unusual or not. I wouldn't raise the issue had I not experience a multitude of such games, sometimes 5 in a row.

youtu.be/hqlLwvm1hdA

1st hand: a very unlikely All in win for me on the river.
2: I hit turn, villain hits river (OK, no big deal)
3: I have a straight draw
4: I have a straight draw
5: I have a double pair
6: I have a flush draw
7: Villain has a straight on the river
8: I have a straight draw
9: -
10: I have a full house
11: -
12: Villain has a flush
13: -
14: I have a straight draw, villain has a double pair
15: -
16: I have a flush draw
17: Villain has a flush
18: -
19: -
20: I have a straight draw
21: -
22: I have a straight draw
23: I have a double pair
24: -
25: -
26: Villain wins with a straight

If you ask me that seem to be too many 'interesting' hands in one game. Mind you, some of the '-' hands I did not see, but had straight potential for the other guy.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Any two cards can win, but usually the best hand wins.

M

Muzyka1996

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Often it happens in poker that sh*t hands win strong cards. Therefore, to play poker you need have with nervous of steel and you need to serenely befall such bad beats.

M

microse

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ask top tier players if they think luck is the key factor. I think you can answer this yourself if you consider the perspective of top pros.

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ummmm.... ok you are complaining that opponents are playing -ev hands and winning? I personally want others to play those -ev hands as much as possible.
If they are willing to bleed money/chips for whatever reason then that is my benefit. Yes they will win with those cards but they won't become a better player because of it.

M

milachka

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Not really any answers to my question. It just seems to me that too many 'interesting' hands occur for the dealing to be random. When I am sitting at a regular table I see these monster hands once in a while, in play money Spin&Go I usually see (or get) multiple monster hands in a very short game.

DcrcKdKng

DcrcKdKng

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Please don't get me wrong, but this thread brings an interesting question in a superficial way.

Ok, so you saw a 24 (o or s?) stacking kings. And how exactly this happened? Both of them were deep? it was early stage or mid/late stage of the tournament?

One of them was short at the time?

All this question matters, and by the way you bring this question, seems to be totally insane a one gapper conector break a big pair.

Well, i must say that it's not the case... actually when you have someone real deep in a tournament with a premium pair and this guy just don't know what to do when the flop comes really wet and the vilain shows some resistance against his bets, i would bet that this guy will probably be stacked because he isn't able to fold the premium pair post flop.

The good side of suited connectors even one or two gappers is that should be easy to fold post flop if you don't connect with it, the same isn't true to big pairs... people are unlikely to fold it or even stop barrelling when face resistance; so, yeah, you will be broke much more with big pairs.

When i am really deep in a tournament, i really preffer to get suited connectors (just luv the 2 gappers) than a big pair (when i am playing agaisnt someone who is deep too), because if i hit the flop i have a real chance to stack the vilain.

Off course, if i have a stack that doesn't allow me to be creative (M 8 or even 9) i really want to have a premium pair to shove (not that i will only shove this kind of hand, but this is another question).

So, this is what i think. If kings raises pre-flop 2x - 2.5x or even 3x (if 24 was on bb), it seems to be a real standard play and situation... nothing new here.

If 24 raises pre-flop and kings slowplayed (didn't 3 bet - another interesting point to debate) then i believe that he desserves it.

I would recomend Always to give more information, so our contribution (and debate) would be more rich...

things like:

* Position
* Effective stack size
* Action pre-flop
* Action post-flop
* Stage of the tournament
* What tournament this happen (buy in... the analysis mindset would never be the same in this kind of play if we were talking about two deep players in a late stage of Sunday Million or a mid stage of a 18 player USD 3.50 sng)

This would be awesome and make our debate more rich.

Regards,

:icon_bigs

A

agriggy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Donks use luck, just wait for them, most of the tine they are a fish that is good to get chips from.

D

dpoole71

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They may get lucky once in a while but in the long run it is unprofitable unless you have reads on players who are very tight and can make them fold with c-bets

Herkstwin

Herkstwin

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Strategy is key, but poker is not a game where the most strategic will win all the time, so you just have to get used to the callers, and take as many wins as the odds will allow. If you want to see more dumb luck in a game of poker, play limit poker, so many people stay in on the stupidest hands and it always seems like they hit the nuts on the river.

Very wise words. Many people play poker with no understanding of odds, equity, or expectation. Yes, these donks may sometimes suck out, but in the long term, they will lose to you, as long as you play smart poker.

W

wildjoker68

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes and sometimes I wonder if it's a poker bot knowing the odds of the 2 4 hitting,against any face cards. it could be a 80% chance that a 4 or a 2 has the best odds. also a bot is programmed to go all in or raise and steal the blinds every 10 hands or so if it's been programmed after a pro that does that, I got beat by a person, not a bot, but the guy went all in 6 hands in a row, I knew he was just stealing the blinds, so I call with an Q,10 of spades. I see his cards, 9 of spades, 6 of clubs, he hits his 9 on the flop, it's sad playing lucky little kids kind of luck, but all of us who normally play well encounter those kind of people.
Peace" and Happy Bank Rolling...

F

FelixBodi

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I THINK A good poker player can play with all hands. Yes sometimes u need a flop straight to raise your cash but in a long game all times the better will win. The cards doesnt matter.