all-in on the tournament bubble.

L

Lucky River

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I played a tournament yesterday in it there were 10 prizes. I had the shortest stack, I was dealt 77 if I went all-in correctly.

P

pontvadasz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In competition, I don't go all in on bubbles - if I've fought my way in, I shouldn't be the last one out without money.

Schokk

Schokk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think with 77 is not a good idea to go all-in in the bubble, but if you think that you can steal blinds - then it's ok.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
what was your stack size compared to the other stacks, especially the other short stacks?

'shortest stack' doesn't mean much. you could be the shortest stack with 10 bbs and you can be the shortest stack with 25 bbs. you would play 77 differently for both stack sizes.

assuming you were short stacked (~10 bbs) and no other opponent was shorter than you, then getting it in with 77 on the bubble is perfectly fine. especially so the wider the gap between you and 2nd shortest stack. if you have 10 bbs and 2nd shortest have 11 bbs, and the table is very loose with lots of pre/post flop action. maybe you could make a fold with 77 and make it in the money. but if you have 10 bbs and 2nd shortest has 30 bbs, well then you need to do something otherwise you're likely going to bubble the mtt and shoving 77 for 10 bbs is the best option option. of course, this depends on preflop action before it gets to you but, for simplicity, lets assume you're open jamming or jamming over a few limpers. of course, if there is a raise, cold call, 3bet before it gets to you on the stone bubble and it's likely stacks are getting in pre/post flop, then yeah, you could fold and take very likely money spot. but, for now, lets assume there is no action other than limping in before it gets to you or you open jam with 77.

sure, you could fold your way down to nothing and hope another player gets busted before you do but that's not the best way to play mtts and it doesn't always work in your favor. when you're short stacked, you don't gain chips and build your stack up by folding. the main goal as a short stack is to play spots that can increase your chances of finishing deeper in an mtt, yes, it sucks to bubble and mtt, but you have think about long term results.

if you fold as a short stack, what are the odds of you making the money? it's pretty slim, especially if the table is smart and is watching the bubble closely. so, lets say you have a 1/10 chance to cash if you fold all your big spots where you should be jamming. not that great, right? well, now lets say against a call range, you have 50/50 equity and now you double up 5/10 times to 20+ bbs. now you have a bigger stack, a much better chance to cash, and a much better chance to run deep in the mtt. 1/10 chance in cashing and keeping a small stack or 5/10 chance of cashing with double your stack, what's the better option that'll give you better long term results? and this isn't even times you win pots uncontested and you pick up a ton of dead money when you shove as you still have fold equity. so, you're just increasing your chances even more to cash and finish well in the mtt.

so, yes, assuming you're short stacked with ~10 bbs, your shove with 77 is perfectly fine and is a good shove. don't think it isn't because you bubbled and didn't cash. that's fine, that's going to happen. i've jammed aces on a bubble and lost, and it's fine. things happen. variance happens and you can't doing anything about it. however, putting yourself in a much better situation to build up your stack, especially when short, and finish in a much better place in a mtt will always work more in your favor. it is high risk, but also much higher reward.

Last edited:
Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As others said depends on what your short stack is compared to other stacks and blinds. If you are short but still have 20+ bb then fold. If you’re the shortest by a wide margin then all in. Also depends on your position at the table. Finally also depends on whether you want to just min cash or you are looking to win, or at least top 3 where the money is. Good luck.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I played a tournament yesterday in it there were 10 prizes. I had the shortest stack, I was dealt 77 if I went all-in correctly.
Also what position were you in?

It's a better jam in the SB when folded around to you than UTG with everyone left to act, for example.

Poker is very circumstantial.

'I had 77 on the bubble and was the shorty' isn't enough information for anyone to give you valid feedback.

Ultimately depends on how much breathing room you have and how important to you is the min cash.

On big bubbles sometimes people will fold monsters, especially in satellites, so 77 can be a very easy fold indeed.

gon4iypes

gon4iypes

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Well there are a lot of things to consider...people are usually very aware of the situation on the bubble and wil not let the shorty fold into the money so you may well be blinded out. I think it's best to be proactive...look for a spot and take it...if you bust, then so be it. Move on to the next one with a smile

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
There are days I am happy to push in pocket 7's on the money bubble and days they are a snap fold. It will depend on many factors. Position, action before it gets to me, all players stack sizes and who is left to act. Without more info here its had to say if this was a good or bad play.

T

tiefgang23

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
need more information.... in which position are u with the 77, did already someone openraised, dont jam it into bigstacks, if its the blindbattle and u are even with the other, or he is she shorter, i jam it in, otherwise i fold into the money and just fold that 77, i guess u were short and in online poker on the bubble u should have something arround 0,01bb-10bb , if u know u reach the money, just fold it and get that mincash!

nanida888

nanida888

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, I would also play like that in such a situation, pan or disappear). Because you can rarely win with autoolline, but with a pair of 77 there are chances.

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if we consider, in principle, a good card to go all-in, but it depends on the effective stack, after all, we understand that a lot depends on opponents, and how, for me, it is better to wait for higher cards

B

BIGAUS

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Like others have mentioned, pushing all-in on bubble with pocket 7s potentially makes sense depending on the scenario. Were you on the button with no callers yet? Is being the short stack a couple of blinds or more like 8-10 BBs. All of this impacts whether I feel it make sense to risk my tournament life and just missing out on the money.

niphon56

niphon56

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are not much choice when u are short stacks.

If the prize in the money is great, i will fold.

All-in or not depend on the prize worth it or not, those deep stacks players will call anyway.

PatriceM915

PatriceM915

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've had this bad experience of falling on the bubble with JJ, AQ, AJ, 10 10 today I think it's better to win something big than nothing big :eek:

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Maybe it was not a good idea, but you should take into consideration how short your stack was and if you could resist a little more, sometimes despair plays a little against us, also many times they will be so short there are not many options and you have to risk

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am sure, that at the middle stage of the tournament, when you did not succeed in the game, you set a task for yourself, to reach the money and, when there was only one step left to the purpose, you decided to spoil it. I want to remind you, that bubble is not a place for risk or chance to double your pot and try to win the tournament. There is only one tactic on the bubble - sit and wait! This is a dead zone for players, who are on the verge of relegation from the tournament. I'm talking about this, and it's great for big mtt tournaments, where there are a lot of players on the way out.

**But you need to take into account how many big blinds you have and which short players are left in the tournament. This is very important and it depends on the possibility of going all-in on the bubble.

But, the best solution is to go well through the middle of the tournament or fly out in advance and not experience a big disappointment from the bubble...

Alekxandrovi3

Alekxandrovi3

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Allin in buble with a middle pair is not a good idea. If you are one step away from the final table with a normal stack, don't do it.