All-in on the bubble

bracadelija

bracadelija

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on the size of the stack. I personally like although it is not logical and it is not wise to go into all the two players :)

T

Teofealter

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's more or less all about luck vs bad beat.

Rawdeal1955

Rawdeal1955

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All-in in on the bubble?

If I'm trying to chip up, knowing the table dynamics is important. Steeling pots is a lot easier because no want to be that player. To play that long in the tournament and fall short, players are more likely to fold unless they the monster hands. It' easier but no fool proof. good hands and games to you. :eating:

mendiolacubicle

mendiolacubicle

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on the stack size, if steal is possible any suited connector or acehigh hands may be valuable shove for steal during bubble time :)

B

badalhoco345

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends of the tournament, your position on the table and the style of our opponents in the table but usually I go for all-in in the bubble with AA, KK, AK. Other hands can be very risked. Even AK is a risk but usually I pay.

EA2USN

EA2USN

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on several factors. Tournament buy in cost, how much is the min. cash, my position, is there going to be a multiway pot AA, KK, QQ, do not play well 4+ handed after the flop.

I have folded AA in a very similar situation once, is was not on the bubble but 3 players away from bubble in a large MTT, when I was in late position facing what was gonna be a multi way pot with the smallest stack at the table. As it turned out I would of lost the hand and not cashed, I was able to fold my way to the money.

I know a lot players say that is incorrect, and to play for the bigger pay out but hey folding AA there was the +EV move.

V

vinest

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
not worth the risk of a bubble, even if there is a top pair hands. in fact more comfortable playing in the bonus zone)

J

JamesMoroski

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No way Definately open up your range on the bubble especially if you have a nice stack no one wants to bubble and this is where an experienced player can really get some chips.

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its really depends mostly on your stacks size,positon and table dynamic.E.G=If youre shortstacked facing a bigstack constant raiser from the button or sb for example,you can take a risk with pair like 44+.

Y

YouPay4MyCrack

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Calling an all in and being the aggressor going all in make a big difference. So does your position. In the right situation, like on the bubble preflop with 2 or less BB and sb and bb are in similar position, everyone else has folded... I'd shove even with 72o just to steal the blinds and take advantage of the situation. I've been called out and lost before, but more often they fold and I get to stick around a bit longer.

elena007xxx

elena007xxx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I go all-in only with AK, AQ, 9 10 suited

B

benspocket

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i like ak suited for sure, and mid pocket pairs are ok with me also

F

felting

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I do this all the time. A pocket pair is only a pocket pair- Pocket Jacks especially. I personally play them like they're pocket twos, deep stacked or not.

Where and what times do you play? I want to make sure I'm at THAT table?

W

wowasenotrusov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when playing in a bubble need to go all John only with premium pairs such as AA and KK especially if the stacks opponents more than yours.

D

DickieMoe07

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
the bubble is tricky.....if you have the huge stack u need to be the one laying 2.5 bb pressure almost all the time....if you are medium or small stacked then even with KK or AA i would fold until the bubble busts........in other words dont call allin ...u may take a stab with hi pairs or ak in late position but its just too easy for big stacks to call being 4-1 dog and get lucky to bust the bubble....and say gg and tough luck...i call these hands "demon traps" they are the obvious winners that if you can lay them down when facing a 3 bet you will go to final table but this is the way i see that luck and the poker gods see if you are "worthy" to be a champion....i was in a tourney one time on the bubble and i was the big stack....the guy in first position goes allin he has the second stack...i dont look at my cards until it is my turn as to see what the others show on their bodies when they look at their cards and their behaviors when they are contemplating bets....this hand it just so happens i look down and see KK i stare down my villian and quickly see he doesnt have AA he says "come on this isnt the wsop" "hurry up" so i call he shows A6 offsuit....the flop comes no ace...the turn comes gives him a gutshot ....i think we all know where this is going......the guy hits a 2 on the river giving him a strait....he yells "YES BAMM!!!!" then says "im sorry dude you were just taking so long" the moral of the story is dont call allin on the button even if you have KK i could have if it wassnt the #2 stack and just a small stack desperate man but not the next in chips...NO BIG CONFRONTATIONS you should just be concerned with taking out the small ones....unless you are in a small pot then hit the nuts on the flop.....

K

Karametric

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Every bubble is a little bit different.

A big question i think that has yet to be asked is what advantages do you gain from going all in vs min bet or 3-5BB betting.

Every table is a little different, but I've found often that if the players that would fold to your shove, 90% of the time they would fold to the raise too. This can save your bacon if you run into a player who has been playing tight that reraises because they have a monster. The information on who is who at the table is imperative in this.

Basically you have to make the bet hurt if they call it and don't win. leads to a pretty similar result with less risk.

Of course, someone will eventually catch on and reraise with air.... so mixing it up is probably best.

J

joepav12

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with horizon here... I think if you are big stack this is a great time to be a bully. In reference to the original question, it depends on the type of player you are playing and position you are in. In a nutshell, if I am medium stacked or relatively low I will only call with ultra premium like AA or KK. I even fold AK suited because I have to make sure I am dominant. There is no sense in missing a pay day if I can coast and someone is being super aggressive in front of me. Once I get super short stacked then I basically have to pick a decent spot and go for it. Hope that answers and helps some!

M

markinhos_cortizo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i keep my strategy... the bubble doenst afects my way of playing

i know that some person keep diferent ways in each condition, but to me that is not a good thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
LinkornU

LinkornU

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that on bubble you may play a little bit wider range of hands, but you should know who you play against. And consider the fact that some just to love call those all-ins and raises on bubble and when they call you better have something.

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wasn't on the bubble but I just busted out of a MTT post bubble.

QJ > AA (QJ on the flop LOL ) *cry* :(

N

nygmen2007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I am playing in a tournament I do not do the stalling thing when it gets to bubble, I do not adjust my style. I go for it. I am there to win and if I lose then I know I went for it and a better hand called me... To each his own.

T

toshiba

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well there bubble play can be complicated.
If you are a large stack, figure out who is trying to make the money and attack them relentlessly.
If you are medium stack, figure out who the LAGs are and 3bet, 4bet shove them. They've got 15-30bbs, most likely they are not wanting to burst.
10-15 bbs, you still have a little fold equity. pick a hand that you are willing to go to war with whether it be suited connectors AJ+ and pile it in their face. Warning, do not 3bet calling stations . Lay down AJ- and even JJ- They are content just getting it in and see what happens. Attack the nits and the rocks.
Whatever size stack you have, think about what will your opponent most likely do with his/her range.
You have a 10-15 bb stack, and more than double it on the bubble with aggressive play and selecting the right spots. Start applying the pressure when there before you hit the literal bubble. When it's down to 10, 15, even 30 people.
Just my thoughts. Gripsed has some great advice and videos on bubble play and yes, I stole them.

whowantwhat

whowantwhat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've learned my lesson... I was doing pretty well 2 places from the bubble in the carbon $1k freeroll. Went all in with AK and lost. Was down to a bb and lost a few hands later. I'm never going all in preflop again so close to the bubble

zsoltyx2

zsoltyx2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
all in ? when i have AA.KK.QQ,JJ ,but sometimes i fold when i have JJ ......

A

Ambur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any 2 cards is playable! All depends on dynamics.