AK is tournament poker's kiss of death

R

rosendonev

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I actually will fold AK preflop if the hand is getting too much action. If I raise, then get reraised and someone else pushed all in. I think I will fold more often than not
And when you are playing@

stylebender72

stylebender72

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think in tournaments people dont overvalue AK but they do overvalue AQ and AJ and if they called a 3bet preflop and floped top pair a Q or a J they rarely fold to three barels they are just going broke with it...

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
A very good hand - the main thing is to learn how to play with it correctly !!!

tw082

tw082

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK has to be the most misplayed hand in all of poker. I get that beginners and casual players are likely to overvalue it's strength but I see so many regulars making the same mistakes. I think it's one of those situations where ' I have a really good feeling about this hand ' comes into play. The 25% decrease in win probability that exist when holding AK instead of AA doesnt seem to be enough to prevent players from playing both hands nearly the exact same way. Usually by the time they realize that AK has very little value by itself it's already to late and their pot committed. A moment later their walking away from the table grumbling about bad beats and their bad luck. The next tourney they're at the table doing the same thing again
I could not agree more. When I first started using a hud and had a decent number of hands recorded I looked back over my hands to see witch ones were hurting me the worst. AK by far was the biggest losing hand especially when it came to pure chip loss. Since then I have completely changed the way I play this hand not giving it the false equity I once did.