AK is tournament poker's kiss of death

deeznutzz

deeznutzz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK has to be the most misplayed hand in all of poker. I get that beginners and casual players are likely to overvalue it's strength but I see so many regulars making the same mistakes. I think it's one of those situations where ' I have a really good feeling about this hand ' comes into play. The 25% decrease in win probability that exist when holding AK instead of AA doesnt seem to be enough to prevent players from playing both hands nearly the exact same way. Usually by the time they realize that AK has very little value by itself it's already to late and their pot committed. A moment later their walking away from the table grumbling about bad beats and their bad luck. The next tourney they're at the table doing the same thing again

Z

zhilipp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK is not a bad hand but if you completely miss the flop and your oponent hits it its not the best hand anymore simple as that. You cant expect to always win but thats the same with aces you got to see the board structure as well as your opponents range to evaluate your hand each betting period.

R

Ricardo_lhp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with my thinking, there is an overvaluation of AK in the poker community that I don't understand. I see people overvalue this hand even more at the beginning of the tournament, and pay many all in at the beginning of the tournament for a flip. It is true that he is a very strong hand in poker, but I do not risk my tournament at the beginning for a hand that is not formed and most of the time will be flipping against a pair.

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
breath of life, an omen

I am skeptical of AK as well; you always remember the times it doesn't hold up. In a freebie, first hand, was dealt AK suited. I took it as an omen, and shoved. For a change it held up and I had a decent tourney.
But AK, even suited, I prefer other higher pocket pairs, excepting the JJ kiss of death.

deeznutzz

deeznutzz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am skeptical of AK as well; you always remember the times it doesn't hold up. In a freebie, first hand, was dealt AK suited. I took it as an omen, and shoved. For a change it held up and I had a decent tourney.
But AK, even suited, I prefer other higher pocket pairs, excepting the JJ kiss of death.
I've heard people try to explain why shoving all in with AK is the right play and I agree that there are times that you should shove with them but in most cases it's a mathematical incorrect play. People always say that it's a strong hand and it is when compared to all possible hand combinations but when you put the AK up against just the narrow range of cards that would push all in it's one of the weakest hands you can have. You would be better off going heads up with a pair of twos then with the AK

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
However, AK is a powerful hand and must be played but not at the risk of losing everything on the preflop.

A

AKbadboyAK

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK has to be the most misplayed hand in all of poker. I get that beginners and casual players are likely to overvalue it's strength but I see so many regulars making the same mistakes. I think it's one of those situations where ' I have a really good feeling about this hand ' comes into play. The 25% decrease in win probability that exist when holding AK instead of AA doesnt seem to be enough to prevent players from playing both hands nearly the exact same way. Usually by the time they realize that AK has very little value by itself it's already to late and their pot committed. A moment later their walking away from the table grumbling about bad beats and their bad luck. The next tourney they're at the table doing the same thing again

This is true agent see this a lot going all in pre flop AK equal to AA history against two or three players depending on the tournament situation has as wide quiet AA too.

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree that AK is frequently misplayed but I think that, from my experience, AJo is even more misplayed. In situations where it’s incorrect to play a huge pot having paired the Ace, it’s even worse to go all the way with a Jack kicker. As Harrington said, it’s a slippery slope with Ace kickers, and in my experience people tend to overvalue AJ offsuit more than any other hand.

S

Space635

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK has to play in a way that you already know your opponent and know that he will call you with any cards! Other than that you have to be careful and know your opponents.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Each player has the right to play as he sees fit. Personally, I try to use the mistakes of my opponents to my advantage. Try it too.

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play AK the same as KK or QQ, very cautiously. 4 bet to narrow the field and hope the flop is good to me. I will see the turn if cost is low or bet heavy if the flop hits. If this is wrong please let me know.

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
maybe misplayed but certainly overvalued hand

rj_montana

rj_montana

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not going to stop 3-bet or 4-bet jamming AK w. 25bb or less. Only time I play it cautiously is right on the bubble.

R

rosendonev

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AA vs 77. they kick me twice today, all it's luck

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK has to be valued as a hand based on your stack. The shorter stacked you are the more the you can value it and the more you can shove it with confidence. As you are deeper stacked, I feel it is more of a call type hand and play the flop accordingly. What you are referencing is many players over value when they have a deep stack and this is true. Don't let that cloud your mind though when you have <20 BB stack. In this case you must be looking to get your chips in most of the time pre flop.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
I try not to overplay 88-QQ and AT-AK. Even with AT-AK and you flop TPTK, you still have to be careful.
The exception to the above is when you are under 12 big blinds, then you need to get it all-in early.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The most common hand to bust from a tournament with is AQ, and the main culprit is..... well.... AK.

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play AK the same as KK or QQ, very cautiously. 4 bet to narrow the field and hope the flop is good to me. I will see the turn if cost is low or bet heavy if the flop hits. If this is wrong please let me know.

I try and follow this strategy as well. Maybe not 4 betting as often but I think I am gonna try this when I have a decent stack. Taking the pot down preflop here may not be so bad since AK loses value post flop quite often. I seem to get in many big pots with AK and regret it immediately afterwards. I have to be more aggressive preflop or if I connect with the flop.

Vorem

Vorem

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hate AK) the most unfortunate hand for me

jumaischi

jumaischi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK should be play with the flop on my opionon(you can corect me if I'm wrong)...if you hit something on the flop ...you have big chances to win the pot!when you go all-in preflop with AK is pasibble to regret later😅....but hey you can't win every hand..so increase your stack , don't rush and be patient !

C

Comboss599

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Exactly how has been told. Ak seems to be a strong hand and players go often all in with it but in my opinion it's not so strong especially in struggle with some pocket hand.

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK is a good and strong hand that you need to be able to use properly. A lot depends on your opponents and your position at the table.

Alekxandrovi3

Alekxandrovi3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The game of poker is based on a mathematical expectation. AK is not a monster. AK is a very strong hand especially if they ss. Therefore, to play pre-flop correctly aggressively. Very little chance that your opponent will hand monsters. AA and can be considered a weak hand. Nevertheless, this is the strongest hand in poker. And AK is also very strong hand.

R

rosendonev

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The game of poker is based on a mathematical expectation. AK is not a monster. AK is a very strong hand especially if they ss. Therefore, to play pre-flop correctly aggressively. Very little chance that your opponent will hand monsters. AA and can be considered a weak hand. Nevertheless, this is the strongest hand in poker. And AK is also very strong hand.
So AA agains KK, which one is better and why more often come K?

T

TheDev

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I actually will fold AK preflop if the hand is getting too much action. If I raise, then get reraised and someone else pushed all in. I think I will fold more often than not