• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
B

bubonicplay

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is the easiest call in the world before he says AJ. If you really believe he has AJ it's even easier. The thing people forget is although yeah losing sucks mtts are top-heavy so the value in gaining the chips and having a better shot at first is a huge benefit. The only spot you would ever fold AK here is if say it's 9-handed with 7 people having 100 chips and you and other guy have 200k each then you can fold. But if they all have short stacks it doesn't even matter here because if you lose you still have 100k left and will beat them all anyway. Sorry for all the rambling just trying to explain it but I'd like to know why there's even a question in your mind. If I shoved AJ and you took your time with AK in this spot I'd be pissed at you for slowrolling.

spiderman637

spiderman637

RIP Buck
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yep, i too had the same strategy in my book and went allin...
Sadly he hit Jack and i lost !!!
Am asking this because, i lost way many hands in the last few weeks with AK offsuit to AJ and AQ suited, so i just want to reconsider my actions in dat situation....
Any ways i am playing AK offsuit little defensively these days till normal days return back...
And thank you all for your opinions. I APPRECIATE IT!

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Am asking this because, i lost way many hands in the last few weeks with AK offsuit to AJ and AQ suited, so i just want to reconsider my actions in dat situation....
Any ways i am playing AK offsuit little defensively these days till normal days return back...

In this situation, you can curse the poker gods for letting the villain hit, but you can only be pleased with yourself for being in a dominating position when the chips went in. Sure, there are spots where AK should be mucked-- this is not one of them. Don't play tentatively because you got sucked out on, you'll start making more mistakes.

dwolfg

dwolfg

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

You can't be results-oriented. ak with 10 blinds, i don't even think, its going in every time unless my opponent flashes me aa or kk. Don't play defensively just because a bad run. I suggest taking a little time off poker and forget about the bad run, then come back refreshed.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Sklansky's Fundamental Theorem of Poker:
Every time you play a hand differently from the way you would have played it if you could see all your opponents' cards, they gain; and every time you play your hand the same way you would have played it if you could see all their cards, they lose. Conversely, every time opponents play their hands differently from the way they would have if they could see all your cards, you gain; and every time they play their hands the same way they would have played if they could see all your cards, you lose.

D

def_man56

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I voted fold before I realized you had the AKo. Snap call

shadoozy

shadoozy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Why even take into consideration what he big mouth says? You have AKo , I say roll the dice and call him already.

J

JK0714

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Snap call, I know the feeling i've been losing alot lately were i'm AK vs AJ or AJ vs Arag...but you can not let that affect your game.

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Are you asking whether or not you should call AKo vs AJs or whether or not you should believe him? Personally I don't think you should even consider what he says he has. He's just as likely to be lieing as he is telling the truth so it's a wash. He has 200k and the blinds are 15k/30k so he's very short stacked and his shoving range is going to be wide but AKo is a manditory call regardless. If you're not calling a short stack with AK then what is it you're looking for? You may be afraid of being slightly behind a pocket pair, or getting sucked out on by any 2 live cards but final table play is a crap shoot and you should be happy for any opportunity to get it all in with what rates to be the best of it. If you lose you lose.

I'd be more willing to call a shove with AK than a small pocket pair like 22-55. Why? With the pairs your chances are even at best, with AK they're even at worst.

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you feel you are more skilled than your competition there is no reason to put yourself in a race. You should wait until you are in a position where you have more control over the outcome. If you feel you are being outskilled at this table then you should gamble with all of your premium hands to even out the skill level.
Icky. This isn't level one. You're not 100 BB deep. This is final table play. Most of the remaining stack are are 10-20 BB's. Your biggest skill advantage is knowing when to call an all-in and AK (suited or not) is the best you can hope for.

spiderman637

spiderman637

RIP Buck
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you players, ur advices and opinions really matter to me a lot in planning my game...
I will be practicing ur ideas..
Once again thanks for helping me here. I really appreciate it.

F

freakzilla187

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i would call here the only hands that have you pretty much dead are AA or KK so call and see what happens

ddg373

ddg373

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fold

i sit down and the player next to me says "i have 2 7 off" and shoves, what do you do when everyone folded and you're last to act....
well i see i have QJs, the player has me covered in chips, i folded for the simple reason that i prefer to play the game, not lottery it.

do you think that was a bad fold?

T

Tonawanda

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

OK, you lose 200,000 in this hand. You still have 100,000. Six players left. How do you end up overall? How does AJ do. Any more all-ins you're involved in? Just curious, the rest of the story please.

U

Ubercroz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Icky. This isn't level one. You're not 100 BB deep. This is final table play. Most of the remaining stack are are 10-20 BB's. Your biggest skill advantage is knowing when to call an all-in and AK (suited or not) is the best you can hope for.

100% agree, being more skilled than your opponent is great and all, but having better cards then them is better than being more skilled. Especially when you take into consideration skill matters not at all when your all in. You have the opportunity to elimiante someone who is shoving on you with about the top of your hand range not calling is a major mistake even without "knowing" he had AJ suited or not.

I play my 27 so skillfully- but man AA keeps beating me and the guy who plays it has zero skill, so stupid.

belerophon

belerophon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my mind I have terrible luck with AK at the tables. However this wouldn't stop me from getting all my chips in a similar position. In fact I think I'll make a post about it.

cha4zz

cha4zz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Without a doubt i'd call. If your chip leader then by winning this pot, your virtually guaranteeing yourself at least 2nd.

As stated previously, you're only behind to AA/KK and slight underdog to AK suited, but its a snap call. It does depend on previous experiences with this guy though, if he's a nit and only shoving super-premium then obviously consider folding, but worst case scenario here is your flipping.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So many factors mentioned already that are valid, but, for me, at that stage, A-K is an almost no-brainer..... CALL! Of course, players that say what they have can (usually) not be trusted, so that would not be a consideration for me at all, only my cards and my evaluation of the other players at the table. But I have seen player brag about their stong hands when betting only to have zilch, so maybe he was AJ and using reverse psychology to make himself look weak (had he not later shown), but, as I said, I disregard players comments about their hands generally. But back to your pocket, I am a relatively young (in terms of experience lol) player, but for me, you have one of the strongest starting hand one can hope for, the odds speak for themselves and you are at the final table. I can really only think of three hands I would rather have. I assume I need not name them...lol

L

luckforsome

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
... i say call...your no too high on bb...and 6 left, money is ok from 4th 5th 6th...but in most tourneys, 1st and 2nd and sometimes third is where the real money is..so i think you should call and go for the win...i think if your folding ak here then ur probably just settling to move up the ladder...not saying thats terrible, ive done t a couple of times..but id say call and go for the win

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
snaaap call. AK for 7 BBs against one player is practically never a fold unless it's a satellite or maybe if there's some really unusual situation involving the payout structure and very short stacks at the table

it's AK for seven big blinds man! i think the reason that there are people who even give this any pause at all is they get caught up in the absolute value of the numbers. they get deep in a tourney and suddenly have hundreds of thousands of chips which theyre not eager to risk. but that's why you have to think of it in terms of big blinds. there is no excuse in the world not to get it in here and be happy about it

the idea that you can fold and wait for a "better spot" to appear where you'll be able to manipulate your opponents with your masterful skills on a shallow stack with no manueverability and magically be an 80/20 favorite or better, well frankly it's ludicrous. that requires, first of all, getting a very big hand. those don't come around often enough and the blinds are only going to keep going up. you can't "skill" your way into getting AA. and then even if you finally get that monster hand, there's no guarantee you get any action. i promise you that no matter how good you are, AK is huge here

Last edited:
M

MAX101

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
About the only thing I would be thinking is, the odds are in my favor, it would be a snap call for me, then pray he doesn't hit a J lol, but from what I read he did, still a good call!!!! ;)