Advice on the mental side of the game.

S

Swanny19735

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A good poker player has to play good tight poker no matter how bad it gets. The looser you play the more you are bound to lose. Don't do it. You would be better off trying a break than to play bad poker.

Thanks

S

Swanny19735

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with those who say take a break when you find yourself chasing. I find the best advice to be just focusing on making the correct decisions, and living with the outcomes with equanimity, regardless of whether they are beneficial or not.

For me, this is reason 1a. why I play tourneys over cash games. I can't just never separate the money aspect in cash games because those chips in front of me are worth what they say they are. In tourneys it is much less a problem. Reason 1b. of course is that winning tourneys is a great frickin rush.

I totally agree. I love doing well in tourneys and it is easier than in cash games for the reason you mentioned. Gonna try taking breaks and concentrating on playing well.

H

Honest

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Set time limits on how long you play each session for.

Revise your game in between sessions.

Lheticus

Lheticus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with those who say take a break when you find yourself chasing. I find the best advice to be just focusing on making the correct decisions, and living with the outcomes with equanimity, regardless of whether they are beneficial or not.

For me, this is reason 1a. why I play tourneys over cash games. I can't just never separate the money aspect in cash games because those chips in front of me are worth what they say they are. In tourneys it is much less a problem. Reason 1b. of course is that winning tourneys is a great frickin rush.

Oh that is DEFINITELY me--losing and winning money directly on every single hand is way too stressful. And there absolutely is the glory factor with tournaments as well. And yeah, playing well should always be your focus.

E

Elvis

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Exactly what you said it happened to me too,something that worked for me is when you run bad and you just play for making your money back just stop playing and when you're winning and playing your best game just keep playing.

PuMa8818

PuMa8818

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the problem of many, when you lose, you try to win back and lose even more. If it does not, your thoughts about another, you move several times and you can not look at it anymore ... it's better not to play today again, watch a movie, read it, take a walk and forget about this day as quickly as possible. Then return to the game rested and full of energy)

S

Swanny19735

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the problem of many, when you lose, you try to win back and lose even more. If it does not, your thoughts about another, you move several times and you can not look at it anymore ... it's better not to play today again, watch a movie, read it, take a walk and forget about this day as quickly as possible. Then return to the game rested and full of energy)

Good advice, I know I need to learn the discipline to step away and take a break when I loose and come back when I am mentally ready. Will be trying to do this in the future.

Viera56

Viera56

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, in a way you've already given us the answer. The loss is influencing your game. Whenever this happens, have the self-knowledge of knowing that you are not in an adequate state of mind. Do not worry about what happened, it's gone. Try to win whenever possible. Review your game. Important tip: sometimes we are so precarious in recovering the money that we make mirabolantes plays. Try playing a tournament just by looking at the screen without thinking too much, but do not take your eye off the screen. She will talk to you about the right move, the time to be aggressive, the time to be a little more moderate. Playing ABC often helps us regain confidence to execute more elaborate actions.

HK_47

HK_47

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you aren't focusing on what is the best decision that standing right in front of you, you are not playing optimally. People who have a problem being stuck make for easy pickings. If you don't go into every situation in poker with the expectation that you could lose it all you aren't really playing, you are dipping your toe in the pool while someone who has the ability to high dive is going to do infinitely better.

Top 10 Games