Advice after losing 85% of bankroll?

alfiyka

alfiyka

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
how many times I started ,went up and fell down.I think this is from the fact that the player always wants to have more than we have.Therefore, in an effort to have more, you can lose everything.Play with breaks and decide how much you want.

MadDeVille

MadDeVille

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
okay, this is only my second thread on this so bear with me haha. at the start of January i deposited $40 and my aim, unrealistically or not, was to get up to $1k. i started well and after the first month was up to over $200, then i had a good start to the 2nd month and was up to $400. however, since then i have just been doing rubbish- playing in maybe 15-20 tournaments some days and min cashing in one or two. i am now down to $60 and some tournament tickets as well as fpp's haha. i started off at the $0.50 sng's but now i mostly play $3-$5 mtt's because i am a bit bored of the lower ones and there aren't actually that many $2 and especially $1 tournaments.
i had a good run in the Saturday Micro yesterday and for a long period was inside the top 50 from around a thousand left to when i got ko'd in 81st losing AK v QQ. it's kind of frustrating as 1st prize is almost $5k and i only got $40- that would have put me well inside top 9 had i won the flip.
anyway basically i feel like i am playing a bit better now, but what would be your advice on building it back up? or should i just continue to play in these tournaments despite not really being rolled to do so? probably not i assume haha. cheers!
Feel free to take a brake .... helps belive me :top::top::top:

I

izpanol

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We've all been through that, losing patience by practically miraculous hands. Although we have all rescued a great lesson from this: self-control

M

Manifestor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I won all the money I won often in cash games, but I ran it down in tournaments, so I advise you to save up in cash games, and then go to tournaments for 5-10 dollars

rikisrakis

rikisrakis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's not what you want to hear, but you need to reassess your BRM strategy. You're setting yourself up to go broke playing something as high-variance as an MTT with only 12 buy-ins. If you seriously want to grow your bankroll, your only option is to grind smaller stakes for now.

Crazyrider22

Crazyrider22

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
okay, this is only my second thread on this so bear with me haha. at the start of January i deposited $40 and my aim, unrealistically or not, was to get up to $1k. i started well and after the first month was up to over $200, then i had a good start to the 2nd month and was up to $400. however, since then i have just been doing rubbish- playing in maybe 15-20 tournaments some days and min cashing in one or two. i am now down to $60 and some tournament tickets as well as fpp's haha. i started off at the $0.50 sng's but now i mostly play $3-$5 mtt's because i am a bit bored of the lower ones and there aren't actually that many $2 and especially $1 tournaments.

i had a good run in the Saturday Micro yesterday and for a long period was inside the top 50 from around a thousand left to when i got ko'd in 81st losing AK v QQ. it's kind of frustrating as 1st prize is almost $5k and i only got $40- that would have put me well inside top 9 had i won the flip.

anyway basically i feel like i am playing a bit better now, but what would be your advice on building it back up? or should i just continue to play in these tournaments despite not really being rolled to do so? probably not i assume haha. cheers!

Hello mate,

What other people are saying is right, your BRM isn’t correct! You need to drop your level right down again as you BRM can’t support it. I’d say 200 buy ins for MTT, so I think it’s best to start back at the bottom and work up again!

Also check your playing solid and not too loose to try and chase your loses!

Scott

Serjo600

Serjo600

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you answered your own question, if you initially adhere to any compliance with the rules of bankroll and after has received a small plus started to play a lot of tables and began to play naturally as if it was not hard to realize you should return to the Micros and roll there.

D

Darth_Moola

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
400$ down to 60$ mean three things

1. Tilt
2. Bad bankroll management
3. You have leaks and you need to improve

You understimated these mtts , any mtt including sngs have a big amount of variance sometimes you may not be able to win a flip at all , you may lose many 65/35 in a row. Its essential to control your tilting issues and also avoid high variance plays.

Many players switch to cash games after their first big cash in mtts because in cash games you can increase your bankroll much more safely , if i was in your place i would spend my last 60$ to 1$ Mtts , they are 60 Tournaments if you are truly good you will do at least one big cash otherwise you are probably not that good and it will force you to improve which isnt so bad and it happened to everyone. Playing 2$-3$ mtts is a suicide imo unless you get very lucky.

I agree and would just like to add that part of the reason your leaks may be more evident is because of playing so many tables. If your mind is taxed and you don't have a sure grasp on your strategy then it becomes easy for play to suffer. In addition to working on your game to fix leaks, you might try playing less tables at a time to really hammer home your techniques. Even though the quantity will be less, the quality of your play will be better and that can make a huge difference!

S

Sp0own

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play lower stakes and stop when you feel like you don't make the best decisions.

Jilty

Jilty

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me it sounds like you're having a concentration/benefits issue you've lost the why you played, initially it was good.. your intentions where big and thus the profits good and enjoyable, now you probably sit and stare at the poker and your not into it. That's a life issue I think and you need to address it with a healthy balance of something you enjoy because sitting and concentrating for hours and hours (it sounds like you've been playing thoroughly) will drain your substance over time.

Also all the poker stuff these guys have said is completely relevant but your results in the first two months are very good so I think you should be taking more from that.

Last edited:
foran

foran

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
play inside your bankroll so you can play comfortably

SrWesleiNF

SrWesleiNF

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker can often be demotivating, whenever we start we have great prospects over time the result delays and we get frustrated, in my case I always when I'm falling in my game I try to study more see enough game to shed enough stories to motivate me. good luck

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management