Advice after losing 85% of bankroll?

I

indahood193

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
haha cheers man. yeah well i am just trying to put a positive slant on it ;) tbh it is annoying as i had to deposit again which isn't ideal ofc. and yeah that is a good idea i will do that in the future, but sometimes it is tricky tinkering with a br as it can sometimes have an adverse affect on me for some reason.

I

indahood193

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
also, can i add to this what people think i should play with a bankroll of $500? i just deposited there, this is by far the most i have before, but it is within my means so don't worry. definetely don't want to burn it again, ideally i would 10x it again then withdraw instead haha. but yeah, i prefer tourny's but should i maybe play cash too, and or 1t sng's? and maybe more 180 man sng's as opposed to massive field's of mtt's? cheers!

SicKBeATz

SicKBeATz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I'm sure everyone who's ever played poker has gone bust a time or two.

I'm currently in the process of rebuilding a mini br that I started from scratch and lost them in cash games. The question is can we learn from our mistakes, so far my answer for myself is no :p

I

indahood193

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah that was my aim aswell, but i didn't really fancy starting again from scratch so deposited more this time. i find cash games online harder than live, i find live quite easy but don't usually do anything online haha. and yeah true, hopefully mines is yes or i will also be starting again from a mini br next time haha :D

Samango

Samango

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well I'm sure everyone who's ever practiced very poor Bankroll Management has gone bust a time or two.

I'm currently in the process of rebuilding a mini br that I started from scratch and lost them in cash games. The question is can we learn from our mistakes, so far my answer for myself is no :p

fyp

... a bankroll of $500? i just deposited there, this is by far the most i have before, but it is within my means so don't worry.

So the $40 in the OP wasn't the first deposit? I'm glad that these deposits are within your means and you can continue to do this just for fun if you wish.
But if you want more good advice on Bankroll Management (and that is the issue here, along with unrealistic expectations of returns in MTTs) then you would have done well to tell us that you have deposited and busted before.

Last edited:
Lady_Ist

Lady_Ist

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can happen to everyone... just take a break for a while and stay calm:))) ur luck will back!

dino

dino

10 cevapcici = 0 stress
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
you need to re-evaluate you game
try to find some stuff in Strategy articles on CC site
it will help you out

LCDaBoss

LCDaBoss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe a training site subscription will help you.

Aleksei

Aleksei

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Honestly, I think just stick to what you can BR. 100 BI to MTTs is fine if you're ok with going broke and re-depositing, but just make sure to move down the buy-ins as your bankroll goes down. Otherwise, you will keep ruining yourself over and over and over.

I

indahood193

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
nah i don't deposit willy nilly. usually i deposit then if i get a decent score i will withdraw, but when i deposited the $40 i wanted to get up to $1k but then lost it after getting half way there, i was never going to withdraw unless i got there. this deposit though i am going to be much more stringent with as it is quite a lot of money. and cheers for the other replies too :)

Aleksei

Aleksei

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
nah i don't deposit willy nilly. usually i deposit then if i get a decent score i will withdraw, but when i deposited the $40 i wanted to get up to $1k but then lost it after getting half way there, i was never going to withdraw unless i got there. this deposit though i am going to be much more stringent with as it is quite a lot of money. and cheers for the other replies too :)
Yeh, most important thing is to keep within your minimum BI limit. If that's 200, then for the love of God don't come down from 200 BI, you'll go broke. If you lose money and can't roll the $2 tourneys no more, then don't do it.

I

indahood193

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah i deffoo won't be haha. it is annoying i absolutely butchered a good chance to add around $100 to my br already by playing awful 3 handed in a $2.50 180 :/

XXPXXP

XXPXXP

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
so, the bankroll feels that you are under downswing, and your bankroll management is way too aggressive, so probably switch some game with fairly conformable buyin s...

it is OK to keep a bankroll and reach your goal....good luck..

Lucothefish

Lucothefish

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good BRM is all about the stop losses. Have a move down strategy that ensures you never go broke again, everything else is up to you.

I

indahood193

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah i need to do that, move down when i am losing as opposed to sticking to the same stakes with an inadequate bank roll.

BvBrMTW

BvBrMTW

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Op, you said you're playing sngs, mtts and cash games, i can promise you that's not going to work,
Like I said, I started out small and moved up to around 1.2k playing cash, then I blew 600 on mtt's, thinking I'd just crush them too, now I'm up to 1300
Playing cash again, and I'm going to stick with cash.
Choose one style and try to get good at that, once you really control it you can try to work on other games.
The difference between cash games and turbo/hyper turbo stt's , is almost the same as the difference between omaha and hold'em imo.

Choose a game and stick with it, you can always take shots for fun. (I play a few mtts each week now, but never a BI that can hurt my br.)

I

indahood193

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah well bvb i basically always play mtt's and the 180 man sng's- i don't really play online cash games at all, so i didn't mean to say that haha. but i am going to start playing the single table sng's, and 90 man sng's because when i think about it only 1 in 10, roughly cash, and then on average you cash in aroun 17% which is like 1 in 6 so you need a deep run like every 1 in 6 games which is unrealistic. i made profit for 1.5 months playing them but i don't think playing mtt's are profitable for me just now so i am going to stop playing them until i start making a profit again at other games.

S

Sneaky_B

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cash games are the work of the devil, do not e tempted by him

lpmduarte

lpmduarte

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ok, so i can see a problem right now, about micro-stacks, it´s true the prizes are not the most exciting, but you need to play them to start understanding the game and won experience.
You want to make Money so fast that you lost yourself in the way, happen to me, and sometimes still happens, but you need to realize that if you move too fast to high-stacks you will be caught easily by good players, believe-me they can smell you ah ah ah.
And your bank-roll reflects what you just told us, so maybe start play SNG 6Max, after that 15Max after 250 Max and so on, because each level is different and you need experience to improve you game.
I read in the last week a post from a community member about this topic and he said something like if you can´t play micro stacks, that means that you do not adapted yourself totally to the game. So take it easy, play micro-stacks and believe me probably you will not won a lot of money in a second, you need time to do that, sometimes a lifetime. Good luck at tables. :)

R

ROOKMAN

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I use the rule of no more than 5% of bankroll in a SNG and no more than 2% of bankroll in MTT. Learned from one of the best pros about this and have stuck with it. Win and you can move up in buyins. Lose and you must move down. Never had to redeposit. Won at UB and FT doing this. Stick mostly to SNGs myself.

aa88wildbill

aa88wildbill

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You started out with $40.00 and you worked it up to 400. You can do it again, you did it once! I wouldn't lose confidence in my playing abilities, if I was you! Sounds like to me, you should be given advice to other players.

SANDYHOOKER KY

SANDYHOOKER KY

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you like small field turnys,go for the 2.20-3.30 turbos, if you have a carbon account. usually there are 25-50 players. payout versus buy in is high. im not a big fan of turbos, but ive made quite a bit in them. i avoid the super turbos, they are basically an all-in or fold turny. the great chris ferguson once set a goal of winning $10,000 in one years time,starting with winning a free roll,and then going to the cash games. it took him 18 months, but he did it. im thinking he may have written about the experience, not sure but it wouldnt hurt to dig around and see. i would take any free time i had, and go to the higher level cash games and observe the players, granted your not going to see a lot of hole cards, but you can definitly get a grasp of how top earners operate. the ones with very consistent winning sessions. you'll be mildly surprised at what you see. and as many have noted, the worst enemy of a bank roll is going on tilt. basic human emotions are notoriously hard for people to control.been there too, and in a flash your whole b-r can disappear.

S

skny85

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah that's true. i was just tilting there after flopping a set and the guy went all in with an open ender and hit on the turn in the micro millions tourny.
i played some $0.50 45 p sng's there but did not enjoy them in the slightest, played 6 and got one 4th or 5th or something. think i'll just enjoy my last $60 and play in some of the $3-$5 tourny's then deposit again after a break away from online poker if and when i lose the last of my br. but good advice anyway :)

I did the same thing.

I started with $200 and built it up to $950 doing 25nl games and won about 500 of the 950

from small buy-in tourneys. So I thought I was able to get ITM more after that but

variance took care of that lol. Lost about 200 then in one tourney I over did it. played 5.50

gtd tourney and I played aggressive at the beginning trying to double my stack and just

played too reckless, all in all I spent about 45 dollars(yes in a 5.50 buy in) and busted out

about 10 places short of ITM. I thought I could at least sustain my bankroll doing this but

now I understand that I need to be more aware of how much im spending playing these

types of tournaments. But I will say the players are soft for the most part.

Patience is very important and sometimes it not easy to do.

Good luck to all.

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not sure if you feel this but I will offer an issue I noticed I had when trying to reach a goal.

When I felt I was making great progress, I felt pressure while playing to maintain that momentum. This affected my decision making in hands because I was afraid to bust out and lose my momentum. This additional stress just further caused me to not make optimal decisions and adversely affected my results which then snowballed.

Once I became aware of my self sabotage, I was able to correct my thinking and have better results.

S

skny85

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Not sure if you feel this but I will offer an issue I noticed I had when trying to reach a goal.

When I felt I was making great progress, I felt pressure while playing to maintain that momentum. This affected my decision making in hands because I was afraid to bust out and lose my momentum. This additional stress just further caused me to not make optimal decisions and adversely affected my results which then snowballed.

Once I became aware of my self sabotage, I was able to correct my thinking and have better results.

That's what happened to me. I was on a good winning streak and getting in the money about 5 out of 8 tourneys so I was making 20-40 a tourney and a few final table finishes.

Came in 8th, 7th, and 2nd in 5.50 tourneys.

then I looked at my bankroll and said wow im running well I should take advantage then I

had a bad run(lost about 4 buy ins) I went on a complete downward spiral afraid to lose

anymore so I was playing my hands too passive and over thinking my decisions. A few bad beats and then I went on full tilt and that was it.

When I woke up the next morning I thought it was a dream until logged in and saw I only

had $70 left in my account. I have been very depressed and feel like im in a complete fog

now.

I am afraid to play anymore because of how I feel.

Maybe its a good ideal to take a break.

It is a terrible feeling knowing that I just squandered that much money.

Makes me feel like I should never play again but I love playing poker.

And dropping down to 2nl seems to me like it will take along time to get back to where I was.

I know you guys hear this all the time.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks.

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management