Add on when to take and not to take

MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If your stack size is down to 10 BB, and the addon gives you 10 BB, you essentially double up right then and there. If in the very next hand after addon you get AA and end up putting all your chips in the middle, then based on whether you added on or not, and you win the hand, the results are either your stack is now 20BB, or 40BB. And *that's* the power of the addon for small stacks.[/QUOTE]
Everyone thinks differently, not the fact that I will win with AA:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Always. When I play add on tourneys. It's always good to buy in twice at the start and do the add on. If not go play lower tournaments.

R

RedMatrix

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
...If in the very next hand after addon you get AA and end up putting all your chips in the middle, then based on whether you added on or not, and you win the hand....

Everyone thinks differently, not the fact that I will win with AA:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I hear you, but notice I did say "and you win the hand," mean, IF you happen to win, you win bigger than if no addon. :p

NiallPlays

NiallPlays

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
It really depends if there is value with adding on for me, sometime I’ll add on sometimes I won’t like I say it really depends on the tournament and amount of players plus the prizes

O

odonob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Value in add ins if you are playing cheap games. You will really need a big stack. Depends on how much you can afford etc.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Simple, compare the add on with your stack, and if this add on helps take it, if no leave it! For example if your stack is 500K and the add on 30K it is useless.

MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I hear you, but notice I did say "and you win the hand," mean, IF you happen to win, you win bigger than if no addon. :p
and you listen carefully to me, I may not win with AA:rolleyes::cool::deal:

Kennemelo

Kennemelo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Value in add ins if you are playing cheap games. You will really need a big stack. Depends on how much you can afford etc.

Yes and I think the addon is a very useful thing in certain fast rebuy tournaments

KRANKES

KRANKES

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on the amount of chips. If it's the same as the starting stack, I usually don't take it, as the min cash is mostly 2x your buy ins and with add-on you need to get to the money to break even. In games with 1,000 chips start and 5,000 add-on, I sometimes buy it if I haven't accumulated enough chips by playing.

K

kiyrugae

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Not to take, because, I think if it's "your" tournament you will win it without add on and even with small amount of stack.

C

CaptainXL

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Try and think what difference it might make. If its the difference between being blinded out and not it might be worth it.

P

pockerman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Stickyfish,
Welcome to CardsChat.
Glad to see you getting involved, but I just wanted to give you some guidance.
The reply you've provided is a single sentence. On its own, it has little value here on Cards Chat.

If you were to provide an explanation of why you don't like them...MAYBE it would have been. But one-liners are not really appreciated here. If you want access to freerolls like the rest of us, you need to put in the effort like threst of us.

So why is it that you personally don't like them?
How do you propose to avoid such games, given that so many MTT's have them?
What games have no add-on that you would recommend as an option?
Why would these be a realistic option?

You've got to remember that poker isn't a day at the fun-fair. You cannot simply try each game once and expect to have decent or repeatable results. For most money-making players, they have had to find the game which they excel at and have an advantage over the rest of the pack that is exploitable. But as each game plays slightly differently, you need solid strategies for each -- and that is too much work for most people.

In my opinion, I will play the games that I have an advantage in whether they contain an add-on or not. On the one hand, I don't like them because it is like paying double for the same tournament, without having to lose first to do so. And given the value of the chips bought through add-on, it seems foolish not to add-on in most circumstances.

For example, if you have 40 people left in a tourney when the add-on hits, you will typically see at least 75% of players get the add-on. Whilst it provides no great advantage if everyone does it, apart from seeing an extra hand or two or three, not doing so provides a clear disadvantage.

I consider this akin to people who play cash games and do not buy-in for the maximum amount. You're just creating a more difficult path to success for yourself, whereas if you take the add-on, you are either equal or better to your previous position.

There are exceptions here of course:
If very few people are taking the add-on, you can possibly get away without it...but here is where the biggest advantage is, so why not?
If the add-on does not give much better chip purchase value than normal entry, then I might consider avoiding it.

But Because it seems almost like an all or nothing thing, this makes me question why add-ons are even a thing. The answer is, it is a TAX. It is an opportunity for the house to inject more cash into a game. It parades around like some sort of helping hand to the short stacks...and to an extent it is, but it kind of pisses me off to be doing well in a tourney only to have someone start late, play poorly and then get another chance to win, devaluing solid play.

To me, it is sneaky. If your bankroll supports $1.10 games, but there is an add-on...it's really a $2.20 game. Does your bankroll suppor that? No. You cannot arbitrarily double your buy-in and pretend that it sits within your bankroll boundaries.

Finally, the other thing I dislike about the add-on is that in many games, you have late reg, followed by an ongoing rebuy-period which extends for far too long, and then is folloowed by an add-on. So you often see people doing rebuy after rebuy, shoving junk hand after junk hand until the add-on is reached. Meanwhile your table has been flooded with chips, getting split beteween the fish who will eventually hit out of sheer chance.

So if I am going to play a tight, disciplined game (with exploitative tendencies), I'd rather play a knockout as it rewards that type of play more than LAGgy play. However, if I'm feeling a little fishy myself, then a low-cost, rebuy game is considered.

I also prefer rebuys more than re-entries...since a rebuy gives you a chance to win your money back off the people who took it, and similarly, if you have someone giving chips away and rebuying, you want them to stay at your table. So re-entries don't really server anyone's interests except the house.

Cheers,
ObbleeXY
This is truly the complete answer. He explains everything that a novice player needs to know, and additionally reveals the attitude of the author himself. I really admire this. For me, as a beginner, this explained a lot about hell ons. And at least I have an idea of ​​what to build on in creating my attitude to hell and other additions.
Thanks to the author for the exhaustive post!:smile:

mushthebush

mushthebush

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Rebuys and addons are unfair to real skills based poker. However, I found that in many tournaments the rebuy is not worth it and the add-on is absolutely necessary to continue the tournament.

I have played some tournaments where you start with like 5000 chips and the rebuy is the usual buy-in. However, when it comes to add-on, for half the buy-in you are given 100,000 chips. To me, that is blasphemy to poker but good luck continuing with you few thousand chips and getting itm.

So, it's usually quite obvious what you should do in each situation. Besides, poker providers are not going to drop these money making tactics

Last edited:
ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
This is truly the complete answer. He explains everything that a novice player needs to know, and additionally reveals the attitude of the author himself. I really admire this. For me, as a beginner, this explained a lot about hell ons. And at least I have an idea of ​​what to build on in creating my attitude to hell and other additions.
Thanks to the author for the exhaustive post!:smile:
Cheers, Bud.
Nice of you to think that.
Even nicer for you to take the time to say it.
Welcome to CardsChat!
Have you had a chance to look at the the Free 30d Poker School course? Even if you're a veteran, there are some tasty nuggets in there! I can almost guarantee you'll be a much more aware poker player. Once you get through that...check out the CardsChat special events for joining the "League" games (individual or team). Some very challenging games. Free. Seasonal Prizes. (I just got knocked out of one a few mins ago, taking a risky check-shove with top two pair (KQ) against a flush draw. TLDR; the flush came in. PM Me whether you think I should have done it or not and why or why not. (I say PM me as I don't want to take this thread off topic!)
Cheers,
JT

krasikrisi

krasikrisi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I personally don't like tournament add-ons and almost never wrong. I notice that those who take supplements quickly lose the chips. They play lightly and with an unjustified risk to their cash register!

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If my stack size is close to average then I get Add-on, otherwise I don't.

T

Tomek416

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I have the lead with a lot in chips, I don't get the add-on.

M

muleyy999

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
add ons

i dont like to take addons and i like tourneys with no rebuys but most seem to have them

R

RedMatrix

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have learned in live poker (in my area, south texas) that GTD's and freerolls try to milk money out of the players (to build the prize pool). I found one where the buy-in is $25 for 10K stack (50 BB), and the re-buy is $30 for 15K stack; but add-ons are $10 for 20K [4 max at start, another 4 max at level 10 break]. (12 min levels, BB antes after level 10)

Their thinking is that if you bust out, you have nothing to keep you there and might walk away. So, how do you stay in the game? You need more chips. The add-ons give you WAY more chips than a starting stack, or a re-buy stack. So what do you think most players do here?

That's right. Buy in for $25 and add-on $40 ($65) total, and get 90K stack. That's 450 big blinds!

Some players, like myself, don't have a bank roll. We play when we can afford the buy-in, and MAYBE 2 add-ons. It's an uphill battle for us. Meanwhile, the rich kids, I mean, players, have a huge bankroll and don't mind rebuying 10 times ($250) for a chance to win $300.

FF2586

FF2586

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
Very interesting topic.
And very interesting answers.

I played a lot of Rebuy +Add on tourneys, but I still have no exact rule for it.
I add on when the amount of the add on is relevant to my stack.
For example I add on 10k when I have 30k, and I don't add on when I have 110k
Some sattelites have unlimited rebuys of 5k and 3 times add ons of 100k, those I buy definitely!

Anyway, rebuys+addon tournaments are good format for deep stack play. I appreciate the insight I found in the answers here.

Gl at the tables

N

No Bologna

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No Bologna

Depends on the size of your chip stack. At our weekly home game tournament, if I'm one of the chip leaders I don't add on. Some players automatically add on, I don't feel it's necessary.

vapandrei

vapandrei

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Gosh, I wish there were no addons or rebuys..