Aces on the bubble

N

NBB

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are at least a couple schools of thought on your question on Aces on the bubble.

First school of thought, if your primary concern is making the money, then throwing away the A’s depending how wet the board is and how many players are in the hand is a logical decision.

Second school of thought, if your primary goal is to win the tournament out right, then worrying about the bubble should not be a major concern at this point, but once again, depending on how wet the board is, plus the number of players that are in the hand should dictate decisions going forward.

S

spottedflyer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play that hand very agressively, but i try not to go all in if i can :)

M

Mikeloti13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It mostly depends on your stack. If you are very short stacked you risk being called by multiple opponents therefore its better to try to min cash and try to go all in when playing against one opponent. If you have average or high stack you need to play it. Also if you have enough chips you need to bully others near the bubble because they will be very tight and you will be able to steal some pots. Just be smart and choose against whom you are going to play like that.

M

Mepper95

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When playing a MTT I would always get my aces in HU pre flop if I could. Now for satellites and SNG's it's a bit different as there may be some more ICM implications there. For a MTT my goal is to accumulate as many chips as possible by making +EV plays. This will set you up for the FT, where the serious money is made. A min-cash and the pay jumps after that are not really that important to me.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont think i can fold aces on the bubble without alot of things falling into place - generally lots of players on the bubble are gonna be super snug and not wanting to go out - i think with almost any size stack i just shove with the aces and put any shorter stacks to a decision. I know my aces wont hold up everytime - but i will play the odds at 80% pretty comfortably.

That being said i have folded KK and QQ on a sort of short stack before on the bubble...both times were good plays because both times i wouldve been outflopped by worse hands. Now neither of those folds were the correct play per say - but given the situation and how things played out i am certainly glad i made them when i did. I learned my lesson in a $10 sng once where it was down to 4 of us, i was the 3rd stack very comfortable and likely could fold my way to the money. The big stack is just literally shoving every single hand and not caring what happens - i caught him once before and doubled my stack to lock up my spot. Not too many hands later, sitting in a guaranteed 2nd, he shoves as usual and i snap him off with QQ - he shows k3 off and spikes a king on the flop and as if he needed it, turns a 3, no help on the river sends me packing when i had a very healthy stack. 3 more BBs and the short stack was gone - because i got involved when i didnt need to - i allowed that player to make the money. I shouldve let it go, allow the player to bust and then attack the shoving stack. Lesson learned for me there that day....even though you KNOW good and well you are ahead - sometimes its not worththe unnecessary risk. Calling the only player who could take me out ended up being a bad situation.

So in turn, i think if you have AA facing 2 or 3 players already all in - it warrants a fold unless you have them all well covered by 50 - 60 bb or more. Yes you want to run deep, but theres also no reason to sacrafice a bunch of your equity and your stack if the situation doesnt call for you taking the unnecessary risk. If you win, great - your stack is huge and life is good - but if you are the shortest of the short on the bubble with AA facing 3+ players already all in - im folding everytime. Chances are someone there is busting, if not multiple players busting. Give me my min cash and i will play my short stack from there on.

Add on:: example AcAd is only a 66% favorite against Jh10h and KdQd - so against two hands that you have crushed - you are still going to lose this hand 1 in 3 runouts. Conclusion for me is in certain situations i think that a fold can be the correct play.

Last edited:
johnwat2

johnwat2

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If the tourney is a qualifier and you have enough chips to meet the blinds, say 10+ , AND there are short stacks still alive it would be okay to fold. If you are in late position with short stacks behind you, raise them up!

R

RicardoTolfo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All in without fear of being happy...

D

da22duke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In every case I am playing AA on the bubble. Even if I'm a big stack up against one of the few bigger stacks. I always view it as I am not in it to hang around and put all the time in for a small cash. I am playing to set myself up for the end and no better way to start it than with AA.

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If your trying win the tournament you are never folding aces on the bubble. If you are playing scared you won’t be successful. Aces are a heavy favorite but are cracked from time to time, not enough to ever fold on the bubble. Raise a decent amount or shove to avoid weak hands getting lucky.

A

angelamsmith05

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AA on the bubble

All in with AA in time.

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think if you have to play AA in the bubble, if you have a good bank management should not care eliminated out in the bubble with AA.

NinjaHands

NinjaHands

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I honestly couldn't fold AA even on the bubble. It's just too good and I never get them.
I think it's technically the best call unless there are some mitigating circumstances that make it better to just wait it out (like short stack about to bust).

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As if it is difficult or easy to play aces.You will play them...