Accidental Tournament Registration

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I accidentally registered for an expensive tournament that was half my bankroll.

Don't ask me how that happened - operator error is enough.

Once I realized what had happened I panicked and realized that I probably would not hear back from Support in time - if they even were so kind to cancel and refund.

So I chose to play it.

It was a small field and I did my best but did not cash.

Has this happened to you?

What did you do about it?

Do any online poker sites have a policy about this?

Thanks and good luck !

MrrrRock

MrrrRock

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
even worse... one time i registered to omaha 55$...dont ask if i understand the rules.
i have 2-3 such a situations and its never cool

T

Theotate

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I once had a ticket worth 109 dollar, that's way more than my normal buy-in. I misclicked and registered for an omaha-event. I never played Omaha for money before and obviously got eliminated quickly...

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i dont get how you can accidently register for a tournament. I hope it never happens to me. i always double check what i am getting into.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you registered for a tournament by chance and it was a late registration when the tournament had already begun, then it is clear that it is no longer possible to refuse registration. In all other cases, it is quite possible to refuse and return the money. I had such a case but with a small entry and it happened at the beginning of my career as a poker player.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Once in the past I registered by accident a 6+ tournament but it was a micro one , something like $3.30 on pokerstars. I wasn't familiar with the rules and the open raises before flop and don't ask me how but I made a min cash.

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
Never registered by accident, what I do is register and forget that I am in:confused:

Registering to some game and then forgetting to play it is completely fine as long as you get something from that particular tournament ...

R

rachelle2291

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes it happened to me once and I had to leave so I couldnt even play very long. On pokerstars they quite often have buy in tourneys at the top even when you have your filter set so only freerolls should be listed

afecho

afecho

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I have came close to accidental registration before but thankfully caught it in time!

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I have. Didn't catch it until the tournament started and my table popped up. Never got my head straight and busted out early.

Gritz18

Gritz18

To Cesar, what belongs to Cesar.
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I accidentally registered for an expensive tournament that was half my bankroll.

Once I realized what had happened I panicked and realized that I probably would not hear back from Support in time - if they even were so kind to cancel and refund.

So I chose to play it.

Thanks and good luck !

It happened to me last year, I was playing some freeroll satellites on pokerstars, and I registered one after the other, the filter on the screen was only for freerolls, but I don't know how a $33.00 satellite appeared, in the middle of the screen and I I ended up registering and the worst thing was late registration and I couldn't cancel. Conclusion I ended up falling out of the tournament and didn't win anything. :mad:

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This never happened to me, at least I don't remember, so, probably wasn't a high buy in tournament. But I already called raises accidentally that I was going to fold. It's so sad when these type of things happens.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have luckily never done something like this, but I have occationally registered for another event, than I planned for. Usually this has happened with SnGs. The last occurence was actually this morning, where I was planning to play a 10$ 18-man SnG. It was not until the final table, I noticed, it was in fact a 25$ 18-man, I was playing. This however was not a huge deal, since my current bankroll is a bit over 2.000$. It even turned out to be a lucky mistake, since I ended up winning the event :)

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Sorry to hear this Poker Mike, would have been a great story if you cashed though! :eek:

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sorry to hear this Poker Mike, would have been a great story if you cashed though! :eek:

Thanks Traci - a min cash or better would have eliminated the whole problem.

I have decided how this happened was when the tournie list shifts up and I think I am clicking on Tournie A but in fact the list just repositioned/updated and I actually clicked on Tournie C.

Then there is a popup window that asks to confirm you want to spend $X on Tournie C and I clicked on it without reading it all the way through - of course thinking I was clicking on Tournie A.

I am still curious about what I should do next time.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

As far as I know, all sites allow unregistration until like a minute before, the tournament is scheduled to begin. But past that point the money is in play, and I dont think, support can and will do anything about a claimed "misclick". So chuck it up to an expensive learning experience :)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Some sites allow you to set filters in the lobby, so you only see tournaments with a certain span of buyins. Currently on PokerStars I have the MTT lobby set to only display micro and low stakes buyins, which is anything up to 16,5$. So even if I was to accidentally register for a another MTT, than I intended to, it could never be for more than 16,5$.

slicheri93

slicheri93

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah happend before, 55$ buy-in was like .. i clicked the 5.50 one right?
no? turns out on stars some of your key-boards make the room systeem move like up-down so that's why it happend.. so make sure you turn those of when you can lol

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
This has happened to me on 2 occasions, I don't think any room will help you, return the money or something like that, it is already the responsibility of each one of us as players to be attentive to what we do when we are in session, I can help you recommend that when you go to play a tournament you open the tournament lobby, verify that this is the tournament you want to play and then register, another thing you can do is use the search engine or filters to make it easier to locate the tournaments you want play, in conclusion it is your responsibility if you make a mistake or not, therefore you must be more aware when you want to register in tournaments

I

IanP304

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ouch, don't think I have done that per se but I have accidentally registered for a PLO8 game MTT thinking it was PLO, I had no clue whats was going on lol.

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
Thanks Traci - a min cash or better would have eliminated the whole problem.

I have decided how this happened was when the tournie list shifts up and I think I am clicking on Tournie A but in fact the list just repositioned/updated and I actually clicked on Tournie C.

Then there is a popup window that asks to confirm you want to spend $X on Tournie C and I clicked on it without reading it all the way through - of course thinking I was clicking on Tournie A.

I did it in a $100.00 SpinNGo game instead of a $5 SpinNGo game, the game started immediately so I was unable to unreg.

As was mentioned earlier, you can unreg up to a few mins before the game starts, and also filter out the high buy in games in the lobby.

:top:

M

magnus369

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Once I won a $55 ticket on pokerstars, through a mega satellite of 0.27 cents, I remember that I had given many, many players because I paid, if I'm not mistaken, 8 tickets to the players, I even had to fold KK at the final table to guarantee the damn $55 ticket, however when using this ticket, I ended up double clicking and automatically going to a satellite table for a $1050 event but for $55 buy in, at the time I didn't use the entry confirmation site, because I played a lot of screens and so it needs agility. Anyway, I lost the tournament because I was even annoyed with the mistake in the registration, and I think the best advice is to always leave the question active before signing up for tournaments, sng and cash games, so that tragedies don't happen, I read a lot of funny stories .

niphon56

niphon56

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always have set buy-in limit.
But one time poker soft renew their system, and i woke up midnight to play poker.
I buy-in a tournament, 100 times of what i want to buy-in. :eek:
Then i saw a famous player on table, and felt something wrong.
That game i only played one hand. :eek:

A very expensive experience.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

So I chose to play it.

Thanks and good luck !

No, but I have entered expensive MTTs without realizing they were a totally unusual format.

I entered a $66 MTT a couple weeks ago, not realizing it was Boost.

Luckily I min cashed. ;)