With AA I go all in?

O

osvaldocastro

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
With a pair of AA in the first leg of a tournament, does anyone go all-in? Should we pay?

I recently fell with an AA hand for paying an all in preflop. Would a great poker player do that?:confused::confused:

E

ekgbeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you have an aggressive player that will call pre, short stacked (15BB or less) early in the tournament, or there is some weird structure were the blinds and antes are high in the early levels.

If there isn't much in the pot to win, and you don't have an aggro player, then it is better to build the pot.

Dairenji

Dairenji

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You should play AA in the early stages of a tournament ,preferably 3 bet or 4 bet to get bad hands to fold preflop .Plus if you go all-in ,most of the time this will kill action.

Maikl113

Maikl113

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With such a hand, AA, you should always look at the situation. For example, before the flop definitely always all-in. After, only by how much the flop is dangerous for us and the players who went to the flop.

maclina

maclina

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With a pair of AA in the first leg of a tournament, does anyone go all-in? Should we pay?

I recently fell with an AA hand for paying an all in preflop. Would a great poker player do that?:confused::confused:

You followed the All In of the other player where you pushed. It changes everything

maclina

maclina

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I do not risk a tournament on one hand, even a pair of AA. But we should tell the history of the game to understand.

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll add a bit of nuance to your question. The short answer is "yes", you want to get it in with AA anywhere anytime. The longer answer is it depends how, to some extent. Your question references the beginning levels of a tournament. In my experience this is where opponents will gamble the most. We should always be betting or raising with AA here and pretty much never just calling. That does not mean we should just jam all in when a few players have only called or made a smaller raise. Try raising an amount 3x or 4x the current BB pre flop, a little more if there are players already in the hand. If they raise again then you can also raise again. When the ratio of the pot to your remaining stack goes down to a level of 1.2 or lower, that is the time to move all in. It doesn't make much since to raise less at that point and have say 800 left with a pot size of 2200 for example.

Example: BB = 30, ACR on demand $10 freeroll.
UTG calls 1 BB
UTG+1 calls 1 BB,
MP raise to 3 BB (90)
CO calls 3 BB
Hero on BUT with AA (50 BB, 1500): The pot is 9.5 BB our stack is 50 BB. There is no need to shove here. Just raise to 12-15 BB (360-450) and if they raise or go all in then you can go all in.

ayahuasca

ayahuasca

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try to build a pot instead and don't think that AA is the strongest hand in ANY case, because it's not. Good luck!

B

berryryan2488

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I mean, an ideal situation is an all in preflop with AA early in a tourney. I'm not sure shoving is the best option, but I have done it before so saying don't do it would make me a hypocrite. I agree with everyone who says bet 3x, 4x or 5x and respond appropriately to a re-raise etc. I think it's best to play it out and see a flop and decide what to do from there. At least you'll stay alive in the tournament if you're beat and don't lose all of your chips

M

matiorzi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should always try to induce, I mean if you feel that your opponent is strong and you are deep you should always 3bet, 4bet etc. But if you get shoved preflop, you should never fold aces. Ofc you wont win 100% of times, but you can't fold the best hand. The only situation I would fold them is in satellites when you are near the bubble being pretty sure of getting the ticket.

Never question yourself for making right move with bad outcome. You will win with aces against any other pocket pair around 4 out of 5 Times, I like those odds, don't you?

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I never go all in with A's, thin the field with a 4 bet or larger, hopefully you will get some takers. If you go all in you may get the same players anyway or only the blinds. I rather take my chances and build the pot. If the flop hits you then go all in. If not play it cool as any caller on preflop may have a pair as well. Now poker starts.

jfmcd86

jfmcd86

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
maybe 3-bet or 4-bet not an all in. get any limpers out of the way, if you get re-raised maybe jam an all in

G

gwj63

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this one time.....at poker camp
prize pool...500 k, approx. 40k 1st place
1st hand I get aces....raise 3 times blinds to 90
get reraised to 150...I raise it to 300, villain goes all-in
what to do ?? I call....he has kings
king on flop
good call but bad outcome, it happens
if I have aces I'll go all-in every time except in a game where I'm playing for the same prize
for everyone and its near the bubble and I have enough chips to make it....that's the ONLY time
I won't risk my whole stack

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I've said this on several occasions. A-A is the one hand that I would prefer to get my chips all-in pre-flop with. But that does not mean open shoving. I'm going to raise 3x + 1x for each limper in the pot in front of me. If it's raised in front of me, I'm going to re-raise, and so on until I feel satisfied that there are enough chips in the pot or that I have a fish on the hook. What I'm not going to do is try to get cute and limp so that half the table ends up in the pot and somebody get's lucky on me.

redboy23

redboy23

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have only witnessed someone fold AA instantly - a pro on the bubble play in the wsop. I would not shove on the first hand of a tourney with AA - I will bet 3 x BB. However, if someone shoves, I will call 100% of the time. Someone always shoves! :)

You are starting with the best hand - go for it. Lady luck fails you once ever so often. The loses are very memorable.

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi there
Absolutely all in
If you fall thats part of the game
But no matter what...all in always
Thats how i would play it
Rgds

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Going all in pre flop makes no sense. Why risk your tournament life so early? What are you trying achieve? If you want to get everyone to fold you win the blinds and thus risked everything to win very little. If you want players to gamble with you what do you expect to see on a laydown? You can be called by premium hands that may be underdogs but still have significant equity. Or you may be called by a large stacked player who decides to play suited connectors. There are a lot of flops that can turn such a hand into a winner.

Do what others here have suggested....put in a substantial raise to reduce the number of callers and go to the flop.

tazzmaster62

tazzmaster62

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
me i would slow play
prob is 2many hands can beat pocket aces'
its happened to me many times. i just call and wait for preflop

Q

Queev14

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
preflop its the best hand, if you need to call an allin i would do it. 3bet or 4betting keeps the chance to get called and build the pot.

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Hey
I have a mixed comcept depending on the players around.

I would raise quite a lot and if pushed will go all in.

But will not shove all in straight up.

Raise a lot (10x) maybe the BB

And re raise if you have to.

All in on action will win blinds only but I feel safer than losing a good stack if AA is cracked.

foran

foran

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
with AA you have to pay the preflop allin, only in certain occasions you can fold it as when you already have a ticket won or the prize jump is very high and you have it insured if you do not pay.

Pepitcho23

Pepitcho23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All depends of what's happened?!!? If some players put all in , and you have AA. Don't hesitate!!!! Don't panik, you have the best pocket pair of the game, you cannot fold preeflop!!!! After if you see the flop , if your are in bad position , don't call!!( Bad position: just imagine you have :ac4::ad4:, and three spade on the flop :10s4::8s4::ks4:)
AA is the most honorable hand of poker. But not immortal. ;) ;)