A7 on flop A74 what would you do?

Mentor

Mentor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You could give me 10:1, I don't think I'd limp in with A7. I think there's only one other hand (A6) that gives off more reverse implied odds in a limped pot.

Massive, massive spew. ESPECIALLY at these stacks.

Fold > Raise >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Call in my opinion.

Especially at these stacks? 60bbs?! I respect your opinion, but if it is a spew, it is not massive at all. Can you show me potential ranges / math that says 6:1 is spewy, let alone 10:1?

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If it was suited it has obviously much better expected value. But yeah, you should also read up on reverse implied odds which come into play a little bit here.

The main thing is that with a hand like A7off, what flops are we happy with? And what types of hands will we get paid off with in a big way?

Ask yourself these questions and think through it logically and you may have an answer as to why preflop odds are not worth anything here.

ben_rhyno

ben_rhyno

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only reason we are playing A7 here is to flop 2 pair and get it in vs something like A-T or AAx, 77x. As this won't happen often enough I think you need more than 6:1 to play this, but it's not terrible.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only reason we are playing A7 here is to flop 2 pair and get it in vs something like A-T or AAx, 77x. As this won't happen often enough I think you need more than 6:1 to play this
Since this happens about 5% of the time, you need 19:1 to play this...

Additionally, with our biggest effective stack at 30 big blinds deep (and two of them smaller than that), we have far less implied odds than you think.

And furthermore, think about the hands people play in limped pots. A7o flops like trash against small pairs, suited connectors. The only time they're going to put money in the pot against you is when they're putting you in a horrible RIO spot.

What we should be thinking about doing is raising big preflop to take the dead money the limpers are putting in the pot. I'd rather do that than call in a big way. Limping here is pure spew. I don't have math to back me up, because doing it would be REALLY long & complicated. But if you check hold'em manager and run a filter for when you play in spots like this, I'm sure its a horribly losing spot.

What you're looking at is the preflop play and going "oh, I'm only losing 400". But you're not! You're setting yourself up to be in a horrible spot postflop with a hand that doesn't make anything. This action sets yourself up to lose buckets on later streets. That's why its pure spew!

ben_rhyno

ben_rhyno

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeh exactly if you don't flop the hands I said and flop and A or 7 as top pair you've got huge RIO

A

Aldito

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeh exactly if you don't flop the hands I said and flop and A or 7 as top pair you've got huge RIO

Not to mention it might be difficult to lay down an A or 7 on what might seem a safe looking board.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah limping pre is terribad

as played call river

Insaneasylm

Insaneasylm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah I stay away from ace mid. Even in position what are you going to do if a ace hits the flop. You have no info on other players because of the family limp. Stay away stay far away.

P

peedee91

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Id say the guy may have limped with small pair say 4s or 7s have you beat kj could be a possibillity.....ace 10 also could be one......ace q wouldve raised along with queens or aces so those are out of the equation for me......flop...bet the call a raise....id say a set....maybe 4s or 7s after button reraises he doesnt have a draw...you would reraise with an ace or even two pair to get rid of the draws...so button doesnt have one qh on turn great card for set...checks hoping button has ace and button bets and is called by set...river...allin hopin to represent a missed flush trying to buy pot....id fold two pair because the guy has a set of 4s

FereZ

FereZ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Did you limp with your A7 ? If you did, you shouldn't do that. Push all-in on turn..:confused:

S

sprocketdog

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i agree, you have to show dominance or get runner runnered out

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
i agree, you have to show dominance or get runner runnered out
So we don't want to extract value with our big hands? (we're betting to make them fold?) .... I still fold pre btw.