A New Strategy?

CDNMAN 42

CDNMAN 42

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have noticed recently and increasingly that players are limp opening a lot more, I guess I am old school as I believe rarely if ever do I Limp open. In the Cardschat League this Limp opening is more of the rule than the exception..Is the strategy to keep chip loss low until after the flop??

nerobs9

nerobs9

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I think limping is a feature of the lower stakes and a manifestation of uncertainty.

dongato2

dongato2

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I changed the strategy and I have started to do more limp

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Beginners and recreational players have always done a lot of limping. Nothing new about that ;)

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
I have noticed recently and increasingly that players are limp opening a lot more, I guess I am old school as I believe rarely if ever do I Limp open. In the Cardschat League this Limp opening is more of the rule than the exception..Is the strategy to keep chip loss low until after the flop??
Does this "cardchat league" have any other (un)written rules then :unsure:

Kinalha

Kinalha

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips

I have this difficulty too, but I'm sure of one thing, these ''limp-calls'' only work in freerolls, don't be silly to think that in real money games this works constantly

Z

zipocool

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
limping from early position makes sense (and even then not always) only if you have AA and you have a short stack and in this way you are trying to provoke opponents to raise in order to go all-in later, in other cases this action is very exploited and negative and on distance because of this approach you will always lose money

Dimidrol2

Dimidrol2

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Limping makes sense when there is a player sitting at the same table with an uncomfortable stack size for me. And yet, in poker, I don’t think it’s a way to win.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I limp in games where I know I’m going to get called regardless of how much I open for, or if I know I’m going to get raised, again regardless of what I do pre-flop. If nobody is going to fold pre-flop I prefer to keep the pot lower till I see the flop.

However, league games are definitely different from any other. Because everyone knows everyone else, and because people are afraid of hurting their team, and/or being “seen” to play poorly, people are mostly super cautious. Some folks take advantage of that by being the only ultra aggressive player at the table. That works really well as long as they are in fact the “only” one, or they get lucky a lot.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
you're probably playing at low limits, they'll open up with very small chips because they don't understand how to play

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I love limping in freerolls ))
The main thing is to properly balance limps with marginal hands (like small pairs, suited broadway hands and suited aces) and with monster hands.

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you should not take into account the games in freerolls, but in games I think sometimes. with some frequency makes sense in limps. but you need to understand against which range and most importantly against which opponent

rastapapolos

rastapapolos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
I've noticed a lot of limping in freeroll and samll-stakes too, but when you see the limper stats vpip 9% pfr less than 5% you can tell if he's trapping with a strong hand. If the limper has a pfr of more than 20% you can raise eye closed, I don't care if he limps or raises all that matter is his stats to asses his range.

Svetluj

Svetluj

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
limp is good opportunity to see the flop for SB and BB. More players - more fun) good strategy

ipagan

ipagan

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I love limping in freerolls ))
The main thing is to properly balance limps with marginal hands (like small pairs, suited broadway hands and suited aces) and with monster hands.
That's a good idea for cash tables probably, but in freerolls and mirco MTT, believe me, no one will memorize how you played and with what hand, no need to "balance" your hands i suppose...But when you play pre-final or final table, then it becomes more reasonable i think!

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I honestly don't think people are really limping any more than usual. Limping is not the best option to play. One of the things I notice about a lot of these high limper is the fact it cost them. How many time i see them even do this with big hand only to lose to some random garbage,

max82nik

max82nik

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
And then how do you enter from 22 or 66 from the early position?

max82nik

max82nik

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
Just pick it up? Doesn't he hang out from a distance?

neptunas888

neptunas888

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Limping into the game is a losing strategy in my opinion. The more players that see the flop, the more likely they are to make a stronger hand than you. Of course, I sometimes limp when my pocket hand is controversial and I still see the flop. But this happens very rarely in fact, maybe 5% of the time.

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, often to do limp in Poker it's not a new strategy... By my opinion, this is merely low skill of players:
who more believes in your Luck, than in skill... That's all!
P.S. The professional players are few, unfortunately..,or maybe, by happiness?!.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
The game should always be played by odds in poker, including when entering through a limp. This condition is met when there are at least two players limping in front of you. That is, it is much more profitable to enter the pot with an overlimp - after one or several players. Playing through a limp cannot be treated unequivocally as weak. In poker, the ability to think outside the box and take unconventional approaches is highly valued and highly rewarded. And limping in poker is from this arsenal.

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are a few people that can play that way here on Cardschat that would be successful against certain players with this limp play and I'm not going to explain it because (in my Tom Hardy DC Bane voice:) "that would take all the fun out of it", lol but there are other ways to play and go after certain opponents.

I think its wonderful that you're thinking about what your opponents are doing by paying attention to that and examining whether it might be an option for your game though.

GL

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Limping tends to be performed by less expreienced players at lower stakes.
It isn't new...but it is enjoying a resurgence in some game formats.
Generally, I think you'll see this more at lower stakes.
Limping is either a sign of uncertainty, pot control or as Admiral Akbar said, "It's a trap".

WHY WOULD YOU LIMP?

Most common reason is that the player doesn't really know what they're doing and just want to see a flop cheaply. This is the domain of NOOBS and GAMBLERS. For them, it is more about the cards being held and less about the plays being made.

Players like Negranu have a strategy of pot control. They like to keep pots relatively small and therefore the risk of significant chip loss is kept to a minimum. For the most part though, I do not think beginner players are limping to control the pot. If they hit, the bets are going to come in....and if they don't, they're not (unless the bluffs are primed).

Despite being routinely told to tighten up our range and play aggressively, there are many who simply limp their way out of tournaments. Sitting with AA UTG we want to get a caller to give us all their chips...but when you're afraid to isolate and take the aggressive angle, the limp alalows you to perhaps get in on the action, but it leaves you very vulnerable.

LIMPING STRENGTH VS LIMPING WEAKNESS
I really think it is a mistake to take a strong hand and under-value it through limping. It simply opens the door for terrible starting hands to improve through cheap draws. If we are strong, this weakens our chances and often opens the door for some really crappy hands to outdraw us.

if your hand is weak, better off to muck it than to limp into a multiway pot. The problem with multiway limped pots...a big bet will usually result in only being called by stronger hands with weaker hands folding. That is NOT what we want.
If your hand is strong, you're just giving the wrong value to the viallains when you limp.

So after this...I've arrived at the situation where we can almost consider a flat call a form of limp. You're not yet competing for the pot...and you are not nailing your colours to the mast.,,yet.

Finally this leads me to the conclusion that if I'm not raising, I should be folding...unless position allows me to call and be compfortable I will not be raised downstream.

Are there other reasonas to limp? Are there good reasons to flat call a limp instead of three-betting it?

cards chat league is a very cautious form of poker. I do not think it represents the micros very well at all. Players are MOSTLY very tight as they do not want an early exit giving them low points., Far better to fold your way to the middle in CC league than to betting your way to the a loss.

PROS:
You can easily get away from a limped hand.
You can easily trap a player who always 3-bets.

CONS:
Leaves equity on the table
Too many people in the hand
Hard to effectively bluff in a multiway pot.

Go on...what have I missed?

Thanks,
JT

I

icu4ever

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
PL
Chips
Limping is for the weak for sure and you can see quite a few of these moves at low stakes.