rastapapolos

rastapapolos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
Hello, I wanted to share with you a hand that I played yesterday in a PKO tourney, only one bustout and we make the money. Just after the break, the game goes on and I've dealt pocket 99 in lowjack seat. it's a full-ring table (9 players), I had a good stack ~34bb and my standing is 30.
UTG limps (6 bb), a tight player with 9% vpip and 3% pfr. (less than 50 hands)
MP calls (31 bb), vpip 13% and 0% pfr. (less than 50 hands).
Action is to me and I decided to just call, I could raise here but there are 2 big stacks to act behind and I wanted to set mine with a medium hand, if I don't hit the flop I could muck.
CO calls (41bb). vpip 52%, pfr 12% (less than 50 hands).
BB the big dog (43bb). vpip 38%, pfr 28%. he was very active and aggressive, decided to raise x6 bb.
Both UTG and MP folds.
Action is to me, there is 11.6bb in the pot and I have to add 5 more, given the odds and my hand I decided to call.
CO calls.
FLOP: 4s5s3c (pot 21.6 bb)
BB c-bet 1/3 pot. As he's the aggressor pre-flop and very active, I expected him to c-bet a lot on this type of boards. My first task is to assign him a range, with the top of his range AA, KK, QQ,JJ I don't think he's betting this amount vs 2 players, normally he bets at least 1/2 pot to chase away the draws. With Ax and a spade especially the A, seems a good condidate for that sizing. I think I have 2 options here, either I call or raise to get some info, the player in the CO was playing 50% of his starting hands, he could hit this flop very strong, so I decided to call.
CO folds.
Turn: 3d (pot 35.8 bb)
2 good news here, the board didn't bring any change to the situation, and the 50% vpip player folded. I'm HU with the big dog. He got an SPR of 1, and me far mor less. It's a dangerous situation, I check if any one has busted and nothing, still 99 players.
BB barrels another 1/3 pot. Very tough spot, with 21bb left, I could fold and survive the bubble, if I call (and I'm 100% sure that he will put me all-in on the river) I have to go to the show down. But if I raise ? It seems a good move, after all he's likely more on draws than a made hand. I'm only crushed vs AA, KK, QQ, JJ, TT ( 6*5=30) and I beat all the rest (AK, AQ, KQ, 88, 77, 66) = 16+16+16+6+6+6= 66.
I decided to raise all-in, 10 second later he calls. showing TT.
River: 7h.
I bust out 99 with 99 hand. I didn't make an ITM, but at least I've made 68% back of the buy-in from bounties.

People try to analyse their decision-making based on the outcomes, so normally here I've made the wrong decision based on the outcome. But sometimes you could have made the decision which is mathematically 90% correct and you ended up on the side of the 10% loosing. That doesn't mean that you have to change your decision-making process, you just got unlucky, but on the long run you're making it the correct way.

What is your opinion an thoughts about this hand ?

D0nk3y Hunt3r

D0nk3y Hunt3r

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Very thorough analysis, my thinking goes similar line. Because I won't add anything novel, I would like to focus on other what-if aspect.
Both villains who haven't folded have stats which can put them, usually, on some lousy broadways (well, 52% one must be better then this, having second stack in here...). 99s are good in terms of equity against 2 wide range villains, if you would shove all in pf with stack comparable to theirs you could have better chances then what you end up with...
I decided to raise all-in, 10 second later he calls. showing TT.
... anyway.

People try to analyse their decision-making based on the outcomes, so normally here I've made the wrong decision based on the outcome. But sometimes you could have made the decision which is mathematically 90% correct and you ended up on the side of the 10% loosing. That doesn't mean that you have to change your decision-making process, you just got unlucky, but on the long run you're making it the correct way.
Well, if you want results, you are making good decisions and ending up with bad outcomes in the end, that means somethings is wrong along the way. Similar like making moral sound decisions, which don't change anything.
Of course it's not this case, you played it solid, got unlucky, moving on and gl with the next one.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands