Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
From Cardplayer:

Jeff Madsen raised to $2,000 from late position and was called by a player in the big blind. The flop came 10
diamond.gif
heart.gif
club.gif
, the big blind checked, and Madsen bet $2,000. After pondering his move for a second, the big blind check-raised to $6,000, Madsen made the call, and the turn brought the 6
heart.gif
. The big blind led $8,000 and again Madsen made the call. The river surfaced the Q
diamond.gif
and the big blind fired his third bullet, this time for $12,000. Madsen tanked then called. Upon being looked up, the big blind fired his hand into the muck, and Madsen tabled A
heart.gif
diamond.gif
for the pot. He survived day one with around $68,000 in chips.

How come this never works for me?

Effexor

Effexor

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The check raise gave it away. Does someone with the 10 really try and push someone off the hand like this? I don't think so, specially on that board. Rather he'd want to string you along hoping that you hit something. The queen is the only real scare card, and at that point calling 12k at a pot thats close to 30k was part gutsy and part pot odds.

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The checkraise gave it away? This is exactly the kind of thing trip tens would do. Besides that, what makes Madsen think that his opponent didn't already have a made hand greater than 4's? I just can't see how this bluff didn't work.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It wasn't the check raise itself that gave it away but that the check-raiser paused a moment to think about it.

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
But then he went on to fire another round on the turn. I wouldn't be too thrilled with my A4o.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This could also be a lot of medium pairs, too. 99 could definitely take this line.

Pretty crazy call-down...

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Jeez, what a hand. So rather than giving up on the flop and losing only 4k he calls all the way down to river getting involved for another 24k with only a pair of 4's. Even if something didn't seem right to him on the flop, which I can understand (maybe), it takes enough courage to call the turn when opponent fired again, and that river bet certainly looks like a value bet you would make if indeed you had a T or Q. At least that's how I look at it.

If this is the type of plays you need to make to win this thing then it means I have a hell of a lot of work to do...

I'm not sure if Madsen is a genius or a calling station, he seems brilliant here in any case. Or sick.

smd173

smd173

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not sure if Madsen is a genius or a calling station, he seems brilliant here in any case. Or sick.

I think it's alot easier to make gutsy moves when Full Tilt is paying your buy in.

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's alot easier to make gutsy moves when Full Tilt is paying your buy in.

I'll certainly agree to that, it makes things much easier.

This is not to take any credit away from him, it still was a monster (or sick) call. But in his position it's easier w/o any doubt as compared to us. Also, I'd like to know how many chips he had left after making that call just to know how much of his tourney life was depending on it. One can argue that's its irrelevant, but I think it is. It makes a huge difference IMO if he had 40k or 4k left behind after calling.

jaymfc

jaymfc

R.I.P DJ & Buck
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ya it matters how much of his br that was , i dont get it though and just calling too ? if he thought he was ahead why didnt he raise , any card can beat him , the six on the turn could have , lol , much less the queen on the river. i agree with joeeagles ,i must have alot of work to do on my game. what the heck does anyone put the guy on ? ak ?

Y

young hova

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm pretty sure he had a read and good reason to believe that he had his opponent beat on the flop, we don't have enough info to know why he would do otherwise. It could've been the pause, but that ain't no universal tell.

A

alan1983

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The opponent is obviously gonna suspect you didnt hit that flop. Original raiser wll get raised here more often than not with any hand.

WSOP Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands