Wrong this time?

A

acalculator

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
OK guys, what I do wrong this time? The reason I didn't bet bigger on the turn is I was worried about him having the AJ and I didn't want to go all in at that time. I did'nt want to check just in case he was drawing to the straight. What should I have done if anything to avoid this situation. If I raised before flop I believe he would have called. Thanks

pokerstars Game #8102466718: Tournament #41088868, $2.50+$0.25 Hold'em No Limit - Level I (10/20) - 2007/01/24 - 17:03:44 (ET)
Table '41088868 168' 9-max Seat #4 is the button
Seat 1: jorge686 (1380 in chips)
Seat 2: gurimalla (1420 in chips)
Seat 3: ladyjo8 (1470 in chips)
Seat 4: sonofstimpy (1470 in chips)
Seat 5: ej plecht (1260 in chips)
Seat 6: PkrPlayer (2190 in chips)
Seat 7: Titano Nero (1500 in chips)
Seat 8: Sexy Boy16 (1510 in chips)
Seat 9: ACalculator (1280 in chips)
ej plecht: posts small blind 10
PkrPlayer: posts big blind 20
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to ACalculator [Kc As]
Titano Nero: folds
Sexy Boy16: raises 60 to 80
ACalculator: calls 80
jorge686: folds
gurimalla: calls 80
ladyjo8: folds
sonofstimpy: folds
ej plecht: folds
PkrPlayer: calls 60
*** FLOP *** [Qs Tc Kh]
PkrPlayer: bets 200
Sexy Boy16: folds
ACalculator: raises 300 to 500
gurimalla: folds
PkrPlayer: calls 300
*** TURN *** [Qs Tc Kh] [8d]
PkrPlayer: checks
ACalculator: bets 300
PkrPlayer: calls 300
*** RIVER *** [Qs Tc Kh 8d] [Ac]
PkrPlayer: checks
ACalculator: checks
*** SHOW DOWN ***
PkrPlayer: shows [Js Jc] (a straight, Ten to Ace)
ACalculator: mucks hand
PkrPlayer collected 1930 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 1930 | Rake 0
Board [Qs Tc Kh 8d Ac]
Seat 1: jorge686 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: gurimalla folded on the Flop
Seat 3: ladyjo8 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: sonofstimpy (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: ej plecht (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 6: PkrPlayer (big blind) showed [Js Jc] and won (1930) with a straight, Ten to Ace
Seat 7: Titano Nero folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 8: Sexy Boy16 folded on the Flop
Seat 9: ACalculator mucked [Kc As]

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
double sexy boys bet,and as for the other guy, you may not have been able to chase him off his pocket Jacks, not this early in the tourney anyway.
BTW, I'm in the same tourny

mrsnake3695

mrsnake3695

I'm confused
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In a $3 tourney I doubt if any bet at any time would have gotten him to fold. Having said that I think a raise with AK preflop would have been in order. Then once the flop came a a stronger reraise would have told a good player that his jacks were beat. However, with a pocket pair and an open ended straight draw I doubt he would have folded her to any bet. But that's not really the point, we don't want to be results oriented in our anaylisis of play. You are almost certain to have the best hand after the flop and the turn, you need to bet out here and make him pay to chase you. In the long run you will win more than lose. After the flop he has to call 300 into a pot of more than 1000. That's an easy call for anyone with his hand as he is getting more than 3-1 and the implied odds are pretty big.

The turn bet is also too low into that pot, it was way too easy for him to call here. Villan made a mistake by not betting the river probably expecting to check raise you but that was a bad play because with that board the only hand that can bet is a straight. Nice check on you part on the end to save yourself some money.

Don't overly worry about the one hand that can beat you. You need to be more concerned about the drawing hands that are chasing you and not giving them proper odds.

So reraise preflop, Jacks might fold seeing a raise and a reraise in front of him with the original raiser yet to act behind him. It also gives you information on the strength of your opponenets hands. When I say raise I DO NOT mean mini raise. Raise about 300. It's ok if everyone folds here since you don't have a made hand yet.

Raise more on the flop, even push here, if he calls fine, he called with the worst hand without proper odds, you win when that happens regaurdless of the final outcome.

If you haven't already, definatley push the turn, villan told you he doesn't have kings beat yet when he just called your flop and turn bets, put the pressure on him.

Next time give you hand history without the final results, you get better responses.

zebranky

zebranky

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
change the turn...

I'm okay with just calling AK on the PF - you don't want to overcommit to what amouts to a drawing hand.

no problem on the flop either - you raised to show your strength, but you don't want to raise too much - AJ could be out there for the PF price.

Howeve, - nobody re-raised you on the flop - you should read this 90% of the time as "noone has the straight yet." The 8 can't have helped anyone who didn't already have a straight. Jam the pot right here - an all-in push would be right with half your chips in already. Betting 300 doesn't do much (pot is already over 1200), so just put it all in and pray against two pair or a set.
From your opponents perspective: he bet the flop (pair, OESD), and was getting the pot odds just to draw for the straight here. The turn was a weak bet on your part, so he is inclined to call with something like 10 outs. I'm suprised he checked the river, but at least you saved a few chips - you're stuck calling with top 2 pair.

stormswa

stormswa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my turn

you have to re-raise preflop because you have so many to act behind you and you have to show the strength of your hand.

this flop kinda sucks for AK because there are so many draws out and you might actully be way behind at this point. At this point you have to show the strength of your hand and see if you are actually behind at this point.

Turn couldnt of helped anyone so again gotta bet big.

river check is fine, I actually cant believe he checked.