Why did I call?

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Here's what happened to me last night. I had about 3800 in chips and I was dealt Ac, Qh. I raised it to $250 (blinds were 50/100) and everyone folded except for one who raised it to $700. I call. The flop comes Jd, 10h, 3c. The player I'm up against bets a thousand. I figure I'm on a striaght draw and two high chards so I call. The turn is a Qd. The player bets 3000. I think about it for a minute and figure I have top pair and a striaght draw. I go all in (not much left if I just call). I show my Ac, Qh. The player shows pocket Kings. I still could have won with a King or a Ace but alas, the river was a 3s. Do you think I made the right move by calling the player's big raises or I should have saw this coming a mile away?

tribal_kronic

tribal_kronic

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AQ offsuit can be a tricky hand, i've even read articles of how some pro's hate this hand. When he re-raised you pre-flop, that should have been your red flag. Whenever i get raised or re-raised the first thing I do is try to put my opponent on a hand. I'm not sure if this guy was a tight or loose player but by him re-raising you I would have put him on a pair or AK. If you do call that re-raise you have to respect the fact that he's representing a better hand than you. When the flop hit and he came out firing I think you should have folded. Now if it were a cash game I would play a little more liberal and maybe chase that straight draw w/ two over cards but not in a tourney.

titans4ever

titans4ever

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What stage of the tournament was this hand? From the blind level I would assume still kind of early. I would give him respect for his reraise and put him on AA, KK, AK or QQ. If he had just called your raise, I might not have been so afraid of putting him all-in, but to call his all-in is tougher to do.

I don't like to get involved in large pots early on in a tournament unless I havea monster (AA, KK or slick suited) or have a good read on that player. This guy was showing strength all the way, give him the respect until you see some hands where he shows his style and then can take advantage of it.

Xandit

Xandit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't mind the preflop call although you have to think you may be behind.
the large bet on the flop indicates a pocket pair or Ak trying to blow the straight draw or pair 10's off. the turn bet same as above.

Quote "I figure I'm on a striaght draw and two high chards so I call"

At this point the pot is 2550 with villan's raise. the bet is 1000. your getting 2.5-1 on your money. You have 10 outs at this point. 4 kings ( for the straight which seems to be the only real out hand that can win at this point) 3 aces 3 queens(if opp only has a pair of Jacks or 10's). odds against you are 4-1 so from a pot odds perspective you need to lay down the hand.

unless you are putting your opp on a stone cold bluff you have to know you are behind here. In a tourny you have to get your money in when you are reasonbly sure you have the best of it. in this case you were almost certain to be behind.