Who played this hand worse? me or him?

nateofdeath

nateofdeath

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opponent claimed he knew i had AK after this hand, but not the flush draw, yet he kept making very weak bets if he assumed i was on two overs and an inside straight draw. an all in bet at any time would have gotten me away from this hand, as i thought he might have a queen, though in the end, he had what i expected, an underpair. so who played this hand worse, me for calling down to the river on a draw, though it was a draw that i was favored to win with on the flop, even if he had a queen, and for small fractions of the pot, or him for so weakly betting trying to get me off of what he assumed was a weak draw, or being so confident in his read to call my all in on the river. when someone makes quick calls on my relativly small bets, i almost always think draw. anyway, i don't know. just felt like posting a hand i guess. enjoy!

-n

pokerstars Game #3949639349: Tournament #19225154, Hold'em No Limit - Level III (25/50) - 2006/02/12 - 15:18:03 (ET)
Table '19225154 231' Seat #6 is the button
Seat 1: AmBeHa (2175 in chips)
Seat 2: simple_mann (3020 in chips)
Seat 3: DickRooz (615 in chips)
Seat 4: sekme (3255 in chips)
Seat 5: GBTorgo (2650 in chips)
Seat 6: nateofdeath (2885 in chips)
Seat 7: NoLimitMan77 (1055 in chips)
Seat 8: michelmichel (1135 in chips)
Seat 9: westar222 (1530 in chips)
NoLimitMan77: posts small blind 25
michelmichel: posts big blind 50
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to nateofdeath [Kh Ah]
westar222: calls 50
AmBeHa: folds
simple_mann: raises 250 to 300
DickRooz: folds
sekme: folds
GBTorgo: folds
nateofdeath: raises 400 to 700
NoLimitMan77: folds
michelmichel: folds
westar222: calls 650
simple_mann: calls 400
*** FLOP *** [Jh 5h Qs]
westar222: checks
simple_mann: bets 350
nateofdeath: calls 350
westar222: folds
*** TURN *** [Jh 5h Qs] [Qd]
simple_mann: bets 350
nateofdeath: calls 350
*** RIVER *** [Jh 5h Qs Qd] [8h]
simple_mann: bets 400
nateofdeath: raises 1085 to 1485 and is all-in
simple_mann: calls 1085
*** SHOW DOWN ***
nateofdeath: shows [Kh Ah] (a flush, Ace high)
simple_mann: shows [Ac Js] (two pair, Queens and Jacks)
nateofdeath collected 6545 from pot
simple_mann said, "unreal"
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 6545 | Rake 0
Board [Jh 5h Qs Qd 8h]
Seat 1: AmBeHa folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: simple_mann showed [Ac Js] and lost with two pair, Queens and Jacks
Seat 3: DickRooz folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: sekme folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: GBTorgo folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: nateofdeath (button) showed [Kh Ah] and won (6545) with a flush, Ace high
Seat 7: NoLimitMan77 (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 8: michelmichel (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 9: westar222 folded on the Flop

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"simple_mann" eh, how ironic.

He's giving you odds to call considering you have 2 overs, a flush draw and a straight draw, and you're calling - standard. As for "I knew you had AK", he's full o' crap. If he knew you had AK then he'd have pushed the flop (unless he has no clue how to play poker, in which case we get around to asking how he knows you have AK when he barely knows what he has himself). I don't particularly like the fact you've invested two-thirds of your stack by the river with no made hand, but the silly way he played it you had little choice.

lol @ his "unreal" comment tho. I hate to think what he'd be like after a genuine bad beat...

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Even if he had the Queen, you were the 55/45 favorite after the flop. With the overcards and the flush draw, you were the one doing him a favor by allowing him to hang around. You needed to raise here Nate.

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love giving bad beats when im bigstacked... once I called two lowstack all ins with 94o and flopped 2 pair :D

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Um...did he not see the two Qs, the flush draw, and the gut-shot straight draw on the board? He never should have made that call (all-in). I do agree with FD; a little raise may have been in order earlier on.

nateofdeath

nateofdeath

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Four Dogs said:
Even if he had the Queen, you were the 55/45 favorite after the flop. With the overcards and the flush draw, you were the one doing him a favor by allowing him to hang around. You needed to raise here Nate.

that's a very good point, and i hadn't thought about it that way. I didn't want to raise. everyone was playing loose (early stages of a cheap tournie), and i just felt like he would have called, and then i'd be really dependent on my draw, as i felt confident that he had a pair. I knew i had the advantage though, and you're probably right that i should have pushed it. How i play situations like that are probably some of the last fishy (if you will) aspects of my game.

-n

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Actually, I think you should have been more aggressive on the flop and turn instead of calling. simple_mann was playing more aggresively than you and thankfully you didn't back down. I'm a little surprised that he called your all-in with three hearts and two Queens on the board. So, to answer your question, you played the hand worse until the river. On the River, he played it worse. I'm glad you still won a big amount of chips.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands