What would you do in these situations??

G

GLG-man

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well these hands happened straight after each other, nearly called both....

pokerstars Game #5312614714: Tournament #26778300, $6.00+$0.50 Hold'em No Limit - Level IV (50/100) - 2006/06/20 - 17:41:45 (ET)
Table '26778300 1' 9-max Seat #3 is the button
Seat 1: crazyll (1480 in chips)
Seat 2: Slicher (1540 in chips)
Seat 3: skip26 (1230 in chips)
Seat 5: Mexitexi (2190 in chips)
Seat 6: iggy38 (1395 in chips)
Seat 7: GL (G-man) (1975 in chips)
Seat 8: Trezzzy (2800 in chips)
Seat 9: Boden dude (890 in chips)
Mexitexi: posts small blind 50
iggy38: posts big blind 100
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to GL (G-man) [Ad Qs]
GL (G-man): calls 100
Trezzzy: folds
Boden dude: raises 790 to 890 and is all-in
crazyll: raises 590 to 1480 and is all-in
Slicher: folds
skip26: folds
Mexitexi: folds
iggy38: folds
GL (G-man): folds
Boden dude said, "gg"
*** FLOP *** [8s Tc 6d]
*** TURN *** [8s Tc 6d] [Qh]
*** RIVER *** [8s Tc 6d Qh] [5h]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Boden dude: shows [4d Ah] (high card Ace)
crazyll: shows [Ac Jc] (high card Ace - Queen+Jack kicker)
crazyll collected 2030 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 2030 | Rake 0
Board [8s Tc 6d Qh 5h]
Seat 1: crazyll showed [Ac Jc] and won (2030) with high card Ace
Seat 2: Slicher folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: skip26 (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: Mexitexi (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 6: iggy38 (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 7: GL (G-man) folded before Flop
Seat 8: Trezzzy folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: Boden dude showed [4d Ah] and lost with high card Ace

PokerStars Game #5312603583: Tournament #26778300, $6.00+$0.50 Hold'em No Limit - Level IV (50/100) - 2006/06/20 - 17:40:32 (ET)
Table '26778300 1' 9-max Seat #2 is the button
Seat 1: crazyll (1480 in chips)
Seat 2: Slicher (1540 in chips)
Seat 3: skip26 (1280 in chips)
Seat 5: Mexitexi (2290 in chips)
Seat 6: iggy38 (1395 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 7: GL (G-man) (2375 in chips)
Seat 8: Trezzzy (2250 in chips)
Seat 9: Boden dude (890 in chips)
skip26: posts small blind 50
Mexitexi: posts big blind 100
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to GL (G-man) [Jc Js]
iggy38: folds
GL (G-man): raises 300 to 400
Trezzzy: raises 1850 to 2250 and is all-in
Boden dude: folds
crazyll: folds
Slicher: folds
skip26: folds
Mexitexi: folds
iggy38 is connected
iggy38 has returned
GL (G-man): folds
Trezzzy collected 950 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 950 | Rake 0
Seat 1: crazyll folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: Slicher (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: skip26 (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 5: Mexitexi (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 6: iggy38 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: GL (G-man) folded before Flop
Seat 8: Trezzzy collected (950)
Seat 9: Boden dude folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Entered this by mistake!! :eek: bloody turbo game..... only just noticed!!!

What would you have done?

G-man

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think perhaps you played these hands a bit timidly.

Firstly, why did you limp with AQ? From early position, you need to show strength here with a healthy 3-4x BB raise. AQ is a good hand, but in a multi-way pot can be vulnerable, so you want to isolate this hand IMO. Had you raised pre-flop, your opponents betting patterns may have turned out differently.

On to the Jacks...The all-in does cause alarm, and with out any reads on him it's hard to say what I would have done. Does he over-value hands like AJ, AQ, AK? Or is he tight-aggressive with big bets for big hands? The one thing though that may have made me call is that everyone folded to you, making it a little safer to call his all-in. If you're going to get in a push situation with JJ, heads-up is ideal. I'm interested to know what your reads on Trezzzy was. Then it may be easier to make a decision on this hand.

D

Dingodaddy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hands like these are why i hate playing low limit tourneys. Hard to give your opponets credit for a hand that beats TPTK on the first one, hard to give em credit for a higher pair than jacks on the 2nd one, but you never know, random donkeys make the same move with AA as they do with AJ in 6 dollar tourneys.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raise AQ preflop. If I raise to 300 I'm probably getting decent odds for a call of the pushes, though I usually hate myself as I call, but what can ya do?

Second hand is very read dependent. If he seems like a typical $6 donk I'll happily go ahead and call, as I'm probably just on the good side of a coinflip against his range. If he's played it tight so far, I may well give him some respect and live to fight another day, though this being a turbo I don't hate calling either.

C

colin_147

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1st hand is a good fold. I dont like the limp preflop but it has given you the opportunity to get away from the hand cheaply

2nd hand is a toughie but I would probably be calling this and taking a chance. The guy has a 5k stack and would probably be playing it a little slower with AA, KK or QQ. Against any other drawing hand you are the correct side of a coinflip, against a smaller pair you are a big fav to double through.

Would you have folded AK in the same position? If you answer is no, then I dont see how you can fold JJ. Turbo's are all about winning races, so taking a chance with JJ, esepcially with only 1 other opponent in the hand, would be the move I would be making here

G

GLG-man

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ok I'll try and explain the reasons behind my folds...

1st hand - JJ

When I raised 4 x the BB here I was chip leader and the player who raised all in had almost as many chips as me so I would have been putting almost all my chips on the line. The likelyhood is he had QQ KK or AA but IMO even if he had AK AQ it's not worth the risk when your are top or near top in the chip count.

2nd hand - AQ

I don't normally limp with AQ but I was in 1st position and from experience you can lose a lot of chips raising from early position with it. The problem is if you are re-raised you are most likely behind, at best a coin flip and you give yourself a problem. On the other hand if you just call you either give yourself a chance to see a cheap flop or the opportunity to escape if you are beat without damaging your stack. It would'nt have been a very smart call playing 3 way for most of my chips though....

Just my $0.02

G-man

C

colin_147

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
GL (G-man) said:
ok I'll try and explain the reasons behind my folds...

1st hand - JJ

When I raised 4 x the BB here I was chip leader and the player who raised all in had almost as many chips as me so I would have been putting almost all my chips on the line. The likelyhood is he had QQ KK or AA but IMO even if he had AK AQ it's not worth the risk when your are top or near top in the chip count.

2nd hand - AQ

I don't normally limp with AQ but I was in 1st position and from experience you can lose a lot of chips raising from early position with it. The problem is if you are re-raised you are most likely behind, at best a coin flip and you give yourself a problem. On the other hand if you just call you either give yourself a chance to see a cheap flop or the opportunity to escape if you are beat without damaging your stack. It would'nt have been a very smart call playing 3 way for most of my chips though....

Just my $0.02

G-man

Nice post

Just from reading your post there its pretty easy to tell you are a tight passive player who doesnt like to put his chips in coinflip situations

I dont think anyone is criticising your plays. Each player has his own style of play and so on.

The one thing you may need to look at in the future, if you dont already, is changing gears as you move through stages of games. Sure limp-olding AQ is a nice tight play, but the next time you are dealt the same hand, you could be raising it up without commiting yourself

Having a bit of variety about your play, even with your tight passive style, is a must if you wanna be winning these tournaments. In fact, if these players know your type of play they are likely to give you more respect when you are raising pots with the knds of hands, and you will be less likely to find people calling your raises, regardless of your hand