What would you do?

M

mvsub1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm in some tourney. It's going very well this far. I'm already ITM. Then I get into the following situation. I'm curious what you guys would do. The hand is already played, but maybe I can learn from your comments. Because I thought it was a difficult moment.
Everyone but one folds. He limps. I'm on SB with :kd4::9h4:. I limp in. BB checks.

Flop is :qd4::ks4::ah4:

So I flop KK, but there's also the chance of someone flopping a straight or Aces.

What would you do in this situation?

Well, this is how the hand went on:

I checked. BB checked. Other player bets 1x BB $400.
I call. BB folds.

Turn is :8c4: So nothing to worry about.

I bet $1600. He calls. So I think, maybe he has aces.

River is :3h4:

I check. He checks.

He shows :qs4::jc4:

So in the end I won a nice pot.

stormswa

stormswa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well without stack sizes and stuff this is impossible to analize but from what I see I think you played hand terrible.

so passive.

you had no idea where you stood in hand.

honestly cant see a single street where I liked your play.

sorry.

Jagsti

Jagsti

I'm sweet enough!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with Storm here, really difficult to analyse this. Firstly I would fold this pf in the SB, if I was in the slightest bit interested in playing this hand due to table dynamics, you have to raise and look to take the pot here and now pf. Don't like anything about the way you played this hand, you got lucky that you were up against another passive player. They had position on you and really should have taken this pot away from you.

M

mvsub1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
honestly cant see a single street where I liked your play.

sorry.
well, I don't ask if you like my play. I know I was very lucky to win this pot.

My question is how to play a flop like that

77trey

77trey

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
nice

you lasted longer than me.... and you played the hand right i think... oh yeah, is dimichelle still whioopin' ass???:D

M

mvsub1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I was transferred to another table, so I wouldn't know :D

She whooped yours, didn't she?

Just lost a big pot with AK against AA. Flop was A K something

77trey

77trey

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
oh hell yeah he/she... lmao got lucky
:D

A

altruist

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I limped in, there's a good chance no one has an ace yet. I'd bet the flop like I had an ace. If someone re-raises me, he/she probably has an ace or better. Nice card images btw :)

The advantage to playing aggressive would to protecting the best hand from a Q/J turn or river card, as well as getting more information on what your opponent has.

The turn and river, on the other hand, were played fine. I'd have done the same thing.

How you played it seemed to have worked out for you though, nice one :D The way I'd play it is if I had no prior information on my opponent.. for all I know, you knew your opponent as a passive semi-calling station, in which case you played it perfectly.

And again, playing it your way made more money than I would've. By the looks of it, he/she would've folded the flop.

stormswa

stormswa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well if I for some crazy reason somehow got myself into a situation where I did limp the SB with K9 off, hell maybe I was drunk.

I would lead this flop to see where I stood, If I came to resistance I could muck my hand. If I got a call I would put them on some kind of draw because this board is too dangerous for villian to just call regardless of what they have.

if for some crazy reason the other person called I would either put them on flopped broadway or some kind of broadway draw and at that point I would either bet again on turn to extract value and fold to bet. usually people dont slowplay broadway after the turn because of the possibility any paint card could either give them 2nd best hand or cause chop.

but again I dont drink so doubt I would ever be faced with this decision. and again its a freeroll right? so anything is possible.

Irexes

Irexes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I quite like the way you played it.

The limp makes perfect sense (though the stack sizes would help to know if you have a deep enough stack to take advantage of the 5 to 1 odds)

I like the check call on the flop.

Betting the turn is a strong move.

Checking the river is a no-brainer. There's no value to be had in betting.

Stack sizes would help as said but nice hand.

Any sign of resistance there and you need to get out fast to avoid the preflop limp becoming a long term loser, but if you are at the stage in the tourney whe scrambling pots keeps your stack moving in the right direction then good stuff.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First to act after that flop. You want some info. I would min raise at this stage in the tourney. Many will argue with the minraise (2xbb) but in this situation it accomplishes a lot. $800 is likely to get that QJ to fold. Only an Ace or JT will call this, or push OTT. Even another Kx might fold to an $800 bet here.

Those many above will tell you 3xbb is more proper, but the statement 2xbb makes at this point is essentially the same. The one difference is that the 2xbb bet will open it up to someone bluffing you. Depending on your table image and stack size.

Villains 1xbb bets highly suggests not top pair. You were right to call. But again, be perfectly happy to muck it if it gets hairy. His $1600 turn bet could have got you to muck, in which case we might also say it was the right thing to do. That particular call suggests you have an OK stack, and the call won't cripple you.

I also agree with the limp in. 5 - 1 odds are always OK.

In the future, if you can copy the hand history, including stack sizes, and any tells you care to share, you will get much more enlightened responses..

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing hands like this OOP is always difficult and troublesome. Preflop is fine - getting 5-1 we're obliged to call. I probably lead the flop, as if I get called I know there's very little chance that I'm ahead given that the board isn't particularly drawy (no OESDs or flush possibilities), and I can shut down if confronted with aggression.

The turn lead given that we've check-called the flop makes little sense. What are you trying to represent here? If we're repping a huge hand, why would we check-call on a drawless flop and then lead a completely blank turn?

stormswa

stormswa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ok so yes we do have odds to call but does anyone fold to avoid situations exactly like this?

I mean seriously there are only a couple flops we can hit that we would like 99x, kk9, TJQ (sort of), 999, KKK and none get us paid off that much.

Last edited:
Irexes

Irexes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The turn lead given that we've check-called the flop makes little sense. What are you trying to represent here? If we're repping a huge hand, why would we check-call on a drawless flop and then lead a completely blank turn?

I think it's more a case of saying "I know you don't have a big hand" rather than "I have a big hand". Of course if he takes it a step further then he can reraise and push you off, but that is going to take either a monster hand or very big testicles.

I don't like leading A high flop when first to act, because a call behind can mean anything and you are in a state of real confusion on the turn and still first to act. I do see that it is a solid play though and with this scary flop it's a very justifiable move.

In general I prefer to check and base my decision on the bet (or not) made behind, this can have almost the effect of reversing position for the betting round.

Essentially the $1600 on the turn says, "you've got nothing" and should only be expecting a call from something big. It is also pretty much how I'd often play a flopped 2 pair, straight or set here.

stormswa

stormswa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like leading A high flop when first to act, because a call behind can mean anything and you are in a state of real confusion on the turn and still first to act. I do see that it is a solid play though and with this scary flop it's a very justifiable move.

In general I prefer to check and base my decision on the bet (or not) made behind, this can have almost the effect of reversing position for the betting round.

I like this part a lot.

well played.

A

altruist

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd still bet unless circumstance/experiences tell me otherwise.

Here's my reasons why:
1. A good player would bet his ace. I never limp an ace because even if I hit, I could easily already be beaten. If my ace isn't good enough to bet, it's usually not good enough to play. Since no one bet pre-flop, there's a good chance no one has the ace.

2. To defend my hand. I'm either facing a tight player, who'd have bet his ace, or a loose player, who might play hands like Q8o. The 8 looked harmless enough on the turn, but if my opponent had Q8 or K8, I just let him get ahead and may never suspect it. Additionally I have no idea what my opponent has. As it stands, 9 cards (two Qs, three Js, four Ts) could've given him the lead, and he'd get that card for free.

Q8s/K8s would be a hand my opponent might play, if he was a loose opponent.

3. As already stated, for information. There are a few hands I'd see people not betting on the flop, or hoping for a check-raise. JT, KA, QA, and QK. There's no flush draw on board, and with any of these hands in this stage of the tournament, a lot of players would try for more chips.

"because a call behind can mean anything" - Very true, but I'd say a call to a decent sized bet, would mean you've lost. If you've been able to observe your opponent, you'd have an idea whether he/she was on a draw, or calls bets without the best hand. Either way, I'd play the hand cautiously, because you just told your opponent I have a strong hand, and he/she didn't care.

Additionally if your opponent had an ace, they should re-raise you or fold. If they believe they're beaten, no point calling your bet. If they believe they're ahead, they shouldn't give you a free card.

4. Aggressive poker is winning poker. By never betting when you don't have the best hand, your opponents may believe every time you check, they can raise you off your hand. Or every time they bet small and you call, they can expect a bet from you on the turn. By winning this on the flop they'll lack all of this information, and you'd have gained chips.

That said, correct poker is very circumstantial. The way the original poster played it would be best way to extract the most money from his/her opponent, if he/she knew turn/river cards and what his/her opponent had.

Last edited:
M

mvsub1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you all for replying!

Found some useful comments out there