Very weird hand 10+1$ SNG...opponent's thought process?

K

Kymi10

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stacks:
* MP1 with 1360
* MP2 with 1470
* MP3 with 1470
* CO with 1660
* BTN with 1340
* SB with 1480
* BB with 1440
* UTG with 2080
* UTG+1 with 1200
hand.pl

Blinds: 10/20
Site: pokerstars
* * Dealt to SB:9♠ 7♠
* * Sklansky group 5
Preflop:
* * 6 players fold.
* * BTN calls [20]
* * Hero calls [10]
* * BB raises 60 to 80
* * BTN calls [60]
* * Hero calls [60]
* * Total folds this street: 6
* * Potsize: 240
Flop:
* * 7♥ 7♦ 7♣
* * Hero bets [20]
* * BB raises 1340 to 1360 [ all-in ]
* * 1 players fold.
* * Hero calls [1340]
* * Total folds this street: 1
* * Potsize: 2960
Turn:
* * 9♥
* * Potsize: 2960
River:
* * Q♦
Results:
* * Hero shows four of a kind, Sevens:
* * 9♠ 7♠
* * BB shows three of a kind, Sevens:
* * 8♦ A♥
* * Hero collected 2960 from pot

umm...all in 1360 to 240 chips pot...I wonder what was his thought process in that move...?
Poker Hand Converter By Cardschat.com Poker Forum

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that you're wrongly assuming that he even had a thought process at all.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Opponents thought process went something like this; Bunch of limp callers don't have shit. What are the odds one of them has a seven? I still have A high if called. If I push it, they will fold! Alllllll-innnnnnnn!

Now that we've got that out of the way, what were you thinking limp/calling from the worst position at the table?

Steveg1976

Steveg1976

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is only a 3% you have the other 7, and I am sure they were hoping you didn't have enough to call. Unfortunately for him you did have the nuts and he clearly doesn't understand Risk/Reward.

J

jrosekcs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
agree with all of the above....he was hoping to bully you inot folding by making you think he had the 7....too bad for him and awesome for you

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Opponents thought process went something like this; Bunch of limp callers don't have shit. What are the odds one of them has a seven? I still have A high if called. If I push it, they will fold! Alllllll-innnnnnnn!

Now that we've got that out of the way, what were you thinking limp/calling from the worst position at the table?

In general I agree with this, and understand that in the early stages of this tourney, 97 suited is not a horrible call. Nothing heroic about it at all PF tho, and you should learn to drop these, you were not getting the right odds to call here. But once you made the call, I agree villain had an A and figured exactly like WV suggests.

You might have bet a bit bigger (not all that much bigger) trying to make it look like a steal, and hoping it was so transparent that you got more than just one taker. But then again, flops like this scare the bejesus out of most everyone, and you can expect a villain to bet like your villain did with either a big Ace (bigger than this villain had!), or a pocket pair. But it doesn't matter at that point, its all yours anyway.:D

C

ChurchSkiz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've done it before with 2 pair on the board holding an Ace or trips on the board with AQ+. The chance that you have the quads are slim. Most players at my level will fold in this situation and you pick up the entire pot. If they call, most of the time you will end up pushing and don't lose anything. This only backfired on me once and didn't cost me that much, compared to the 10 times or so where I won a decent sized pot.

However, I wouldn't normally go all-in with this tactic (who wants to get kicked out of the tourney like this), and I definitely wouldn't do it with with an 8 kicker. Especially when 3 people called a 4xBB PFR.

nevadanick

nevadanick

Back to work ... zzzzz
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Early stages, first few hands it seems from the stacks. Limping in on the flop is questionable, but then how do you get paid anything on a board like that when you hit and are first to act? Check arounds get you -0-. A 3,4 or 5x bet might have looked like a steal attempt, but could also have caused villain to fold to it too.

Villain's thinking was easy. Any Ace will do, let's scare the limper off the pot. His bad.

A dream flop gone right. Nice to see, but DJ is right. Calling a raised pot because the 7,9 were sooooted is tempting disaster and bleeding chips.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands