very stange call, did I make the right bet?

T

tuckerthecat

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was in a 500 person MTT, it was down to 30 or so & we had just made the money. The blinds were 500 & 1000 with a 50 ante.

I was the small blind & was delt Q,8 I was short stacked, I had 7000 chips left. The big blind was even shorter stacked, he had around 5000 chips left after posting the BB. So anyway it was folded around to me & I decided my Q,8 was more than likely better than whatever the BB had so I pushed all-in.

The big blind called & flipped over 2clubs 5diamonds! I end up losing the race & I made a comment like "how could you call that??"

I get berated by others at the table, 1 person said "that was a horrible overbet, I would have called too" another saying "it looked like you didnt want a call"

well no kidding I didnt want a call, was I supposed to bet 3xBB? That would be half my stack leaving me pot committed & would have to worry about getting re-raised pre flop or pushing post flop with nothing anyway.

Isnt it a fairly standard play to bet all in when your chips get under 10xBB, or am I losing my mind.

Someone else made a comment that is was dangerous to push into short stacked cause they will call with most cards but wouldnt you think the shortstack would wait for a better hand than 2,5 offsuit for putting all his chips in? I cant think of a hand much worse than that.

:confused:

Jocksrock

Jocksrock

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i gotta say that at that stage i would have just called...he might have just let it ride and if he did go all in i would have folded....and this is from a guy who has to have therapy to stop himself from goin all in on a regular basis......at that stage in a MTT would have been worth it to go round one more time and hope for a better set of hole cards even if you were short stacked....

Im sure one of the poker whores well elaborate and give you a text book answer tho..

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I invariably push with any 2 cards in that situation barring any special reads on BB so the push is fine.

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It was an overbet by the Big Blind. He should have just made a raise in a attempt to steal the blinds since he's in the best postion to do so. Now, I wouldn't have called the all-in with Q, 8. Still, you had the best hand going into the showdown when you did call and luck wasn't on your side.

T

tuckerthecat

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
re

I was small blind & pushed into the BB ( not the other way around ), he CALLED with 2,5. I figuired my odds were pretty good heads up with Q,8. I didnt really think I could wait much longer, there were almost no uncontested pots for awhile I was was totally card dead that tourny.

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you got your money in when it was [sort of] good. anything above q6 suited is an easy all in.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
easy push....i have no idea why he called with that, maybe he thought because of pot odds he had to, but i wouldn't put my tourney on the line with that garbage regardless...
good play, just got unlucky; don't worry about what the other donks at the table said

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
tuckerthecat said:
Someone else made a comment that is was dangerous to push into short stacked cause they will call with most cards ...
I think this is actually sound advice.

I don't see anything wrong with your push either, considering you were short-stacked as well. It's just unfortunate that he outdrew you.

tuckerthecat said:
..wouldnt you think the shortstack would wait for a better hand...
While I'm not even going to pretend that I agree with the BB's play here, I wonder why you didn't wait yourself? After all, you were the SB, so you had an orbit with no blinds waiting for you after that hand. Why not wait to see what comes? But then, I find that I am too timid at times in these situations, so what do I know? :p

C

colin_147

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Q8 is ahead against any random hand, so folding would have been a mistake

The big blind has seen the table fold around, praying you would fold. He saw you push, and just decided to call with what was likely to be 2 live cards. If I was you, I would be making notes on this player, just that he hates giving up his blinds when short stacked....it will make a difference next time you up against him

You did absolutely nothing wrong in this hand and I would have played it identical

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
juiceeQ said:
While I'm not even going to pretend that I agree with the BB's play here, I wonder why you didn't wait yourself? After all, you were the SB, so you had an orbit with no blinds waiting for you after that hand. Why not wait to see what comes? But then, I find that I am too timid at times in these situations, so what do I know? :p
Folding is not an option here, like Colin has already said. It's true that because you're on in the SB, if you fold you will get away for another round where you can wait for great cards. It's just that buying the pot right now will let you live yet another round.

The people berating you don't know what they're talking about.

And him calling you with 52o? Well, he was getting 7-5 on his money which is pretty weak. I'd have called with many hands here, but not that one. If I have to put all my money in, I prefer to be the one to push, not the one to call.

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
That make sense to me. Like I said, I find at times that I wait too long to push in these situations, and it usually ends up getting me in trouble. By the time I do push, I've been anted/blinded nearly to death. This is a great discussion for me to see how I need to improve.

O

onlineprofessor

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Fisrt thing you did wrong in this hand is battle a shorter stack in a blind. You have to remeber when blinds are big enough to harm you you fight for them. That was the only mistake you made.I woulda just called the BB and let him check or raise it one time to set your self up to steal then make a p[lay at the flop,leaveing your self with chips to still make a move later. Short ctack play is very very difficult.Some poeple think its easy, a friend of mine just finished 40th in the 1million on pokerstars and was short stacked the whole way.It was an unlucky hand but when you are up against a short stack and you push remeber he is being pushed all the time and forced to make decesions. He might just get sick of playing like that and say screw it. Another reason is that you were in the money. That alone makes a short stack more apt to just call with any suited cards or and cards that make a str8, because they are already in the money. GL next time

Online Professor