UTG AQo Do we raise? DEEP MTT

AlexeiVronsky

AlexeiVronsky

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're about to be at 10BB in two more hands, and blinds are going to keep going up, I'd push with AJo, any pair, KQs, unless there were 5 other people who were down enough to get blinded out in the next rotation.

mrsnake3695

mrsnake3695

I'm confused
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some of you people way over rate AQ off suit and under rate position. It's really a standard fold under the gun. You aren't desperate yet so why are we risking your tourney life and AQ? At this stage we won't double up with it most likely. We will either be stealing the blinds or getting knocked out.

Actually, because this is a tight table the fold makes even more sense. If you have a loose table or 1 or 2 loose players, then you might get called by A-J A-10 K-Q type hands which would argue more for shoving than shoving into a tight table. If you have a loose table or a couple of loose players you have a chance to double up which makes shoving with A-Q worth the risk much more so than at a tight table.

V

viking999

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, it's hard to know what the hell "tight" means without being there. If Switch is right and we steal 9/10 times here, then I'm shoving with 23o, too. On average we win about 9000 for every 7650 we risk (and we don't always lose the 7650). It's not always the case, but I have seen tables that fold to the raiser 9/10 times near the bubble. Of course, shoving every hand is likely to affect your table image and consequently reduce your success rate, so be careful.

With AQ? Say the steal only works 80% of the time. We get 8000 guaranteed for every 2 times we risk 7650. Even if we're only 25% to win the 8650, and 75% to lose our 7650, it's worth it (and that's a fairly conservative assessment of AQ). That's about 4300 won minus 11500 lost. Add in the 8000, and it's still profitable. It's also risky, so I think 80% might be the break even point.

So in this particular case, the table would have to be tight for a shove to be profitable. However, I think an 80% success rate for a big UTG shove at a tight table is downright common. In general, I'd probably shove.

B

Bentheman87

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"Some of you people way over rate AQ off suit and under rate position. It's really a standard fold under the gun. You aren't desperate yet so why are we risking your tourney life and AQ? At this stage we won't double up with it most likely. We will either be stealing the blinds or getting knocked out.

Actually, because this is a tight table the fold makes even more sense. If you have a loose table or 1 or 2 loose players, then you might get called by A-J A-10 K-Q type hands which would argue more for shoving than shoving into a tight table. If you have a loose table or a couple of loose players you have a chance to double up which makes shoving with A-Q worth the risk much more so than at a tight table."

AQ os is not a standard fold utg, it's good enough to raise from any position at a full table early in a tournament. This is a short table late in a tournamentAce ten is a standard fold utg not AQ. And we are desperate here, not so desperate where we should shove with almost anything, but still desperate. Also, we should be willing to race right now, and if we are called it's likely we'll only be a small underdog in a race. The only reason IMO why I think a fold is reasonable here is since we are so close to cashing.

Wild Rivers

Wild Rivers

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you love stealing blinds by risking ending up on the bubble, shove. Otherwise, fold and live to fight another day by sticking around for the money and therefore the ability to make less difficult decisions to steal or double up.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The problem with pushing AQ here is that we will most likely only get called from hands that dominate us, either AA, KK or AK. Hands that we are ahead of or flipping with will most likely fold.

Actually, I don't know about this. It really depends on the table, but I see people calling these bets with AJ / KQ / low-medium pairs often enough to think we won't always be crushed if we get called.

Especially if we've shoved a few hands, people will think they're racing at worst with low pairs or two paint cards.

I'm not saying it's sound thinking, just that a lot more players do this than we might expect. Especially when the stakes are relatively low, like in this game. Stack sizes in this hand make it a little less likely, but still I don't think we have to assume that we'll always be in bad shape if we get called.

Ben - as for limping in... personally, I don't like it. If we're just going to fold to a raise anyway, then we may as well have folded to start with. Chances are it'll be worse hands pushing us out, even if we hit an ace on the flop we can't be too confident because more ace-rag hands will be hanging about and have had the chance to make two pair on us... it's just a recipe for ugliness.

mrsnake3695

mrsnake3695

I'm confused
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Actually, I don't know about this. It really depends on the table, but I see people calling these bets with AJ / KQ / low-medium pairs often enough to think we won't always be crushed if we get called.

Especially if we've shoved a few hands, people will think they're racing at worst with low pairs or two paint cards.

I'm not saying it's sound thinking, just that a lot more players do this than we might expect. Especially when the stakes are relatively low, like in this game. Stack sizes in this hand make it a little less likely, but still I don't think we have to assume that we'll always be in bad shape if we get called.

Ben - as for limping in... personally, I don't like it. If we're just going to fold to a raise anyway, then we may as well have folded to start with. Chances are it'll be worse hands pushing us out, even if we hit an ace on the flop we can't be too confident because more ace-rag hands will be hanging about and have had the chance to make two pair on us... it's just a recipe for ugliness.

the OP described the table has tight which means that you won't get called by lesser hands. AK, AA, KK and maybe QQ would be about all that would call on a shove on a tight table this close to the bubble unless you have a loose image. All those hands dominate you so the risk reward doesn't justify risking all of your stack UTG. From later position yes but not UTG. Like I said a loose table it would be worth the risk because then you can loosen up the range for callers and might have a chance to double up.

My point is if you shove with AQ on a tight table near the bubble you either get the blinds or get called by a hand that dominates you and you;re out. Which is exactly what happened here. As for the guy that said AQ os isn't a standard fold UTG. If it's for all of your chips it is. If you have 100 times the BB and you bet 3X BB fine but that's not the situation here. If you play the hand it's for your tourney life and that lowers the value of AQ.

There's a saying in holdem. Don't go out with a Q in your hand. There's a reason for that. Don't over rate AQ and don't under rate position.

AlexeiVronsky

AlexeiVronsky

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok let's say we'll only get called those times when we're dominated by AA, KK, QQ, and AK, with 7 other players at the table that will happen 9.84% of the time for a net result of -3937.93 (simplified conservatively discounting blinds by 500 for calling instance since we don't know what position will call and I don't want to make this 10xs harder to figure it out for a difference of a few chips) when we get called the other 90.16% of the time we gain 1150 for a net gain, by shoving all in, of 649 chips each time we make this play. If people will call us with lesser holdings we lose a little equity to pocket pairs and AQs but gain a lot from aces with lower kickers and worse hands. So unless people 5 people are going to go out this round it's clearly the best move to shove in here and even then it would be debatable as it gives us a much bigger chance of winning the entire tournament. I think people are undervaluing the strength of AQo here.

B

baconn

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have a small stack, you need to steal the blinds, shove and pray. You will most likely be called with a marginal hand.

pokerace3454

pokerace3454

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fold that hand you lose to that deep stack flat out call with AA,KK,QQ,JJ

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
WE are not sure just where the bubble is. This is table 13, and there are two empty seats, (FT is a 9 seat table so really only one empty seat). There could still be many tables in play, only the blinds suggest any closeness to the bubble.

'M' here is closer to 10, just a bit shy. If this is the final table and this second shortstack gets these cards it is shove time. If however there are still several tables playing, I might think a 4x BB raise here will look stronger than a shove and thus more likely to take this down. A 3x bet here is too callable, a 5x bet here looks too much like a steal, and the shove screams suited Ace or Ace rag.

I don't quite like the fold here. Time is running out, and everyone knows it, and will be playing tight to make sure of the money. We've all been there, and this could be the last decent hand you get before things get really uncomfortable.

AlexeiVronsky

AlexeiVronsky

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
5 PLACES FOR THE MONEY.

Do we raise here UTG or fold?

So far table has been rather tight, generally showing down HIGH PP
https://www.cardschat.com

We do know where we are in the tourney, if it looks like we're on a steal then we'll get more worse hands calling us increasing our EV and they're not likely to pay us off if we do hit our hand and we'll be out of position if we get a call, all-in is the best way to play this hand. I don't understand why there's even a debate, especially one without any evidence to back up an alternative position to pushing all-in.

KICKIN_ACES

KICKIN_ACES

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bleh, I probably fold this but I wouldn't hate shoving (well I would, but I'd hate it marginally more than folding).

Problem here is we have one of those awkward stack sizes which means a shove seems a little excessive, but a standarad raise here might induce a shove from one of the bigger stacks (who notably are in the blinds), thinking he has FE (which he probably does).

The antes make this a shove/fold proposition, and I'm inclined to toss this because the prospect of shoving 15bbs with AQ into 7 players makes me shiver.

couldn't agree with your analysis more:)

I have come across this similar situation a few times recently (3 to be exact :eek: ) & the only time I came out ahead was when I folded pre flop. Once I pushed & got called by kk & no Ace for me, The other I just raised 3x & got reraised & had no choice but to fold as the guy had played tight & always showed down premium hands:mad: