Tournament HA Response: Stop & Go

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been reading tournament hand analysis more lately, and everyone seems to be suggesting a particular move called a "stop & go" quite often. I think they make this recommendation without knowing why, thus there probably needs to be a discussion on the topic.

I'm posting this in hand analysis because its a response to multiple threads that have been posted here, and the people who read this forum will get the most out of it. Plus, the poker strategy section sucks and is full of threads like "How I play JJ?".

Here's my take on why you'd want to stop & go. The play should be used when the following criteria are met:

1) A player is stealing with a wide range. For example, you're near the bubble of a tournament, and a medium sized stack (M=15) raises on the button to 2.5xbb's after being folded to.

2) We have a hand that has decent equity & flops well, but isn't likely to be a favorite if we shove all in & get called. For example, QJ or alternatively something like KJ♠. These hands aren't big under-dogs to the hands he raises his button with, but we're not really happy to get all in preflop. Our opponent won't be making a mistake by calling with most of the hands he raises on the button.

3) If we shove all in preflop, our opponent will most likely be priced into calling. However, if we shove all in on the flop, most flops will miss this player's range, and villain will fold more hands that he would have called a preflop shove with.

4) We're out of position.

Here's a good situation where I think a stop & go could be profitable.

================================
We are currently 85th out of 100 players left, top 50 get paid. Average M = 18.

Blinds = 500/250, Ante = 50, 10 players (Forced bet pot = 1250)

Villain has 19000 chips (M = 15.2) and is on the button
Hero has 6250 chips (M = 5) and is in the big blind.

Hero is dealt J 10

Preflop:
7 players fold to Villain. Villain raises to 1250. SB folds. Hero calls 750.

Potsize = 3750

Flop: Q47♠ (or anything that isn't really scary)
Hero goes all in for 5000.

================================

The idea is that if we shove preflop, our opponent is getting (5000+3750/5000) 1.75:1 to call, which will price him into calling with a lot of hands.

However, if we offer him the same pot odds on the flop, we'll get more folds. Also, our hand flops lots of draws & can make top pair, so we can often call & let our hand catch up against hands like AJ.

Our opponent's hand range on most flops is going to be hands that missed the flop. If he's raising any ace, any pair, QT+, JT, and some random suited connector trash, then the vast majority of his hands have missed this flop. But even still, most of his hands are ahead of ours. We get him to make a mistake by folding a hand like A10 that has totally missed the flop, but still has us crushed. Here, we're giving him an opportunity to make a mistake by folding a hand that has us in trouble.

And you don't want to do this with AK or 88. In that scenario, we want our opponent to think he's priced into calling a preflop shove with a hand like A5s, 66, or KQ. We give him the opportunity to make a poker mistake by calling with a worse hand.

Btw, I could be totally wrong here. I'm a pretty mediocre tournament player at best. But this makes sense to me, and that's how I'd use a stop & go play in a MTT.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for this. What ranges, M or xBB, would you use for both Hero and Villian to use the S-n-G?

Hero M: 3-8?
Villian M: 12-18?

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for this. What ranges, M or xBB, would you use for both Hero and Villian to use the S-n-G?

Hero M: 3-8?
Villian M: 12-18?
Well from a theory standpoint, this play is only good if we don't have a lot of preflop fold equity against villain, so its dependant on more than just M level. I'd say as a rule if you have less than 5-6 times villain's raise, this play starts to become relevant. If you have more than that, then you've got more fold equity & just jamming might be better.

But yeah, you wanna be sorta short on chips, and you want villain to actually be hurt by your flop shove while having enough left in his stack to fold. And obviously, you have to have enough chips left in your stack so that you're betting at least pot, preferably more.

As far as practically how much you need in your stack, I'm not entirely sure since my SnG (at least hold'em SnG's) days are long behind me.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
More points to consider;

You are isolated against a single villain
You can act first post flop.
It is not always necessary that there have been any raises preflop, but that would have helped to isolate.

Related is 'first in Vigorish', which is the notion that the first to act has a position stealing advantage against most villains holdings.

I believe that the main difference is stack sizes/blind sizes and ones willingness to get it all in. The stop and go is putting the big decision on villain. Where as for the most part FIV is middle stages agressiveness.

V

viking999

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think most people define the pure stop-and-go as not having a post-flop decision. The texture of the flop doesn't matter, you're just always going to shove. If the villain has as wide open a raising range as you described, then he may even fold enough of the most coordinated flops. If he can have any ace as well as underpairs, then shoving 22 on a 9TJ two hearts flop isn't horrible. If he has a more tightly constrained range, then the pure stop-and-go play doesn't make as much sense and there should be a post-flop texture-based decision. It's related to the stop-and-go, but it's not exactly the same. In some ways, it's a bit like floating. You're calling to hit a weak draw or a good bluffing opportunity on the flop.

P

p0K35

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think most people define the pure stop-and-go as not having a post-flop decision. ...

Bingo, yahtzee! Found someone who knows the stop-n-go.

The sng, ooops, sit in go... wait stop and shop, or go????

The "stop and go" is pretty simple.

Preflop, you stop? and on flop, any flop, youse go!

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
- We have too many chips in the example in the OP I think. We can still shove pre with a fair amount of fold equity. Give villain 2-1 or better (but not much better or of course our flop shove will get called by anything) preflop (which probably translates to a stack between 4k and 5k for hero) and it looks good.

- We're shoving any flop unless we hit it hugely. Shoving a JJT flop in the example in the OP would probably be unwise (shoving an AKQ flop would be more debatable).