Tough Spot

Tal7420

Tal7420

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
IL
Chips
Hello everyone! Want to hear what you think...

Live tournament.
Blinds 1500/3000
Folded all the way to Button with 90,000 Chips
He raises to 10,000
SB folds and i look at A9o in the Big Blind (3,000)
I have 50,000 behind me.
I don't have enough information about the Raiser's range from previous hands

What would you do?

Last edited:
dannystanks

dannystanks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I’m definitely not calling. You have around 16 or 17 BBs so I’m either folding or going all in. Not knowing anything about the villain really hurts. I’m probably folding but maybe this is too nitty.

Tal7420

Tal7420

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
IL
Chips
I’m definitely not calling. You have around 16 or 17 BBs so I’m either folding or going all in. Not knowing anything about the villain really hurts. I’m probably folding but maybe this is too nitty.
I did think it was too nitty to fold so i went All-In....He had A10o :(

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Without knowing more and assuming no antes, there is probably no reason to shove to shove a9o with 16bbs.

If you have a read that the villan likes to raise fold, then you can happily shove, but with no reads and not knowning the icm.... I would wait for a better spot.

Tal7420

Tal7420

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
IL
Chips
Without knowing more and assuming no antes, there is probably no reason to shove to shove a9o with 16bbs.

If you have a read that the villan likes to raise fold, then you can happily shove, but with no reads and not knowning the icm.... I would wait for a better spot.
You would fold A9o? to a button raise? i get it but it just feels no nitty....
I really felt like this was a spot with no possible GOOD move for me. Calling is also a yucky option...

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You would fold A9o? to a button raise? i get it but it just feels no nitty....
I really felt like this was a spot with no possible GOOD move for me. Calling is also a yucky option...
If I have a read hes stealing and there is no icm tax then I am shoving.

I do not think you can call. You have kinda a negative implied odds hands- when an Ace flops are you happy or sad? Then when you miss on the flop you got a lot of valuable chips committed.

S

SendItTom

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
AR
Chips
I'm folding in that spot most of the time if i don't have information about the villain, A9o it's not a strong enough hand to go all-in in that spot for me

Tal7420

Tal7420

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
IL
Chips
If I have a read hes stealing and there is no icm tax then I am shoving.

I do not think you can call. You have kinda a negative implied odds hands- when an Ace flops are you happy or sad? Then when you miss on the flop you got a lot of valuable chips committed.
Exactly!

PsychoVas

PsychoVas

What The Duck???
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Fold and save your chips. I wouldn't shove because of the lack of information.

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
TA at the start of the tournament, in the middle, near the bubble, in the bubble, near the FT or in the FT.

AT in the beginning it ran,

In the middle I would even go,

Near the bubble ran,

In the bubble would go,

Close to the FT and in the FT, it wouldn't.

My opinion

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
The buttons range is wide, re-stealing as you did is an option, you were unlucky to be opposed by a bigger hand.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
What stage of the tournament were you at? Are there any ICM implications?

It's an interesting spot, because villains raise is so large. We're less than 17bb effective, but his raise is more than 3x. Against a 2x open, this is an easy jam from a Chip EV position, but I think it's a much tougher spot here because of villains large raise. I think I would be tempted to fold.

If we're deeper in the tournament then this becomes a very easy fold, but a call if villain opens to 2x.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As others have said, this is a very large raise given the stack sizes. Was it his normal sizing? If so I would rejam A9o, since he should have a fairly wide range opening from BTN. However if he normally used smaller sizing, then an oversized raise is usually a pretty strong range. Maybe not AA or KK, but often something like 88-JJ or AJ-AK. And if you are against that kind of range, A9o is just a fold.

xliuksasx

xliuksasx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
LT
Chips
Hi Tal7420,
Call if you're comfortable playing post-flop and believe the Button may be raising with a wide range, calling and seeing the flop could be an option. However, be cautious if you miss the flop and your opponent continues to show strength.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello everyone! Want to hear what you think...

Live tournament.
Blinds 1500/3000
Folded all the way to Button with 90,000 Chips
He raises to 10,000
SB folds and i look at A9o in the Big Blind (3,000)
I have 50,000 behind me.
I don't have enough information about the Raiser's range from previous hands

What would you do?
GTO wizard has us shove A9 vs standard raise size 2bb it also has us call a shove so jamming would be fine if the V has a wide enough range at this bet size. Using Equilab to build a potential range would be a good exercise for you in this spot.

:unsure::geek:

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
this is a fold if the player is unknown and you don't know him, just fold the cards and wait for a good hand to play all-in with your opponent you'll just be behind his range. I hope this tip will help you in the future just don't consider it a weakness to throw cards away and wait for a stronger card