top pair decent kicker

mellyy85

mellyy85

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
flop comes q 6 7 with two diamonds being the 4 and 7 the pot is 120. It is heads up and i am first to act i check with q j (no diamonds) player #2 bets the pot. I just flat call and the next card comes a queen. So there is now 240 in the pot and I am not sure exatly what the opponent has so i would like some suggestions on how to play this? thanks

mellyy85

arkadiy

arkadiy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With only 2 diamonds out there, I'd make a half-pot bet, it really matters how he plays though. But I'd just put him to the test before a river comes, if it's a diamond I'd bet the same amount as I did on the turn and see what he does.

I'm really bad at these things, it's hard for me to tell when I'm not actually playing it....

J

jeffred1111

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If the flop is q67 with two diamonds and you have qj and the turn brings a queen, you now have trips (and are most probably ahead here).

Villain's pot bet means that he has either two pairs (the 6-7) or an overpair and wants to price out any drawing to the flush. He could also be on a flush draw (but not on the nut flush draw) and tried to represent strength in this spot to take it down. Without any indication of the action preflop (or the type of game, the limits, etc.), it's hard to make a decision.

Anyway, I would bet around 180-200 into that pot in order to not give favorable odds for the boat and flush draws and would probably do the same thing on the river if no diamonds came up. If I get raised on the turn, I'd reconsider my options: maybe he has a better quicker and the other queen, who knows, but I doubt it.