too aggressive?

petey5o

petey5o

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
im in a 26 dollar 28k guarenteed as we speak. ....i thought i only see people calling raises with stuff like this in $2 tournies or am i wrong, did i just push this hand way to hard?

full tilt poker Game #8846826784: $28,000 Guarantee (67543392), Table 33 - 15/30 - No Limit Hold'em - 22:10:09 ET - 2008/11/06
Seat 1: --tr8tsnot-- (3,000)
Seat 2: TimDush (3,030)
Seat 3: Ricky388 (3,150)
Seat 4: mrlyall (2,925)
Seat 5: Mookie1079 (6,015)
Seat 6: mjp516 (3,990)
Seat 7: motivewake (2,790)
Seat 8: fiufiji (3,240), is sitting out
Seat 9: LES COUILLES (1,860)
LES COUILLES posts the small blind of 15
--tr8tsnot-- posts the big blind of 30
The button is in seat #8
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to mjp516 [Qd Td]
fiufiji has been disconnected
TimDush folds
Ricky388 folds
mrlyall calls 30
Mookie1079 folds
mjp516 raises to 90
motivewake has 15 seconds left to act
motivewake calls 90
fiufiji folds
LES COUILLES folds
--tr8tsnot-- folds
mrlyall calls 60
*** FLOP *** [9d 7d 4h]
fiufiji has reconnected
mrlyall checks
mjp516 has 15 seconds left to act
mjp516 bets 175
motivewake raises to 350
mrlyall folds
fiufiji has returned
mjp516 calls 175
*** TURN *** [9d 7d 4h] [Qc]
mjp516 has 15 seconds left to act
mjp516 bets 690
motivewake raises to 1,380
mjp516 raises to 3,550, and is all in
motivewake calls 970, and is all in
mjp516 shows [Qd Td]
motivewake shows [7c 4c]
Uncalled bet of 1,200 returned to mjp516
*** RIVER *** [9d 7d 4h Qc] [Ac]
mjp516 shows a pair of Queens
motivewake shows two pair, Sevens and Fours
motivewake wins the pot (5,715) with two pair, Sevens and Fours
The blinds are now 20/40

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes people will take a shot with suited gappers. IMHO you did play this hand too aggressively. W/O a read on opponent I'd have had to put him on a set there. Did you really think he'd push back like that with just a pair or with a Q and a kicker that you beat or did you put him on total air and if so how?

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raise to 120 preflop, fold flop. This is why you fold to flop min-raises without a draw to at least two pair or better (or a made hand, obviously).

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I see his initial call preflop wasn't that terrible.
He had a suited one gapper and position.
Had you raised more preflop, he might have folded.

M

mvelas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
28 $ mmh, that raise on the turn was very aggressive and the call was very loose, he trap u like a fish. gl next time

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Didn't see the flush draw. Everything seems good up until the turn, which I probably check/call if the bet is reasonable. Free cards don't hurt you since you very likely have the best draw, and the flop is set territory. When I saw you get min-raised on the flop I was like "roflz, pocket 4's!"

P

pinaq

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Considering the low blinds I'd probably play a little bit tighter myself. Since it's not very expensive for him to call it's a possibility for him to have such a deceptive hand.

petey5o

petey5o

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i was real bothered by this hand so i got mad, the way i played it, him calling a raise with 74, everything....so i told myself no more mistakes...got up to 5500...then omg. please go to brags,bad beats, vents. read "this makes me want to go into poker hibernation"

V

viking999

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like the turn bet. He raised you on the flop. You turned top pair, which is good but not great. You're just begging to get him to fold a worse hand but raise you with the best hand. Check-calling would allow you to profit the most off of worse hands and minimize the cost of drawing against better hands.

T

teeko

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
RAISE

U have to raise more there. a suited card in the gut is a decent chase especially with a pair already. When he pushed back it is time to fold

petey5o

petey5o

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
alright guys all i know is if doyle was in the hand...and did what i did on the flop...and the q peeled off on the turn whats he gonna do??????? if you read super system you know. Hes betting hard. his rule is if you bet a draw on the flop. dont hit draw on turn but help your hand Bet hard. my 690 was a lil more than half the pot, i wish it was just a str8 up all in, woulda got called anyway tho.

B

beefcake413

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree you played it aggressive but I think you're right pretty much no matter what you bet there he's gonna call, even an all in unless he felt you turned a higher 2 pair which would have been tough to see with you raising preflop. Doubt that hand would have gone down any different no matter how you played it.

califantasy

califantasy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes people will take a shot with suited gappers. IMHO you did play this hand too aggressively. W/O a read on opponent I'd have had to put him on a set there. Did you really think he'd push back like that with just a pair or with a Q and a kicker that you beat or did you put him on total air and if so how?

I agree with Jillychemung. You got raised on the flop, and still bet out with one pair and a draw on the turn.

The raise on the flop indicates some sort of strength, or perhaps he is trying to get you to slow down because he too is on a draw. Either way, you don't have much of a hand but you have a pretty good draw, so calling his raise is correct since you are putting in 175 more for a pot that already holds more than 800.

Put yourself in his shoes: You bet, he raised, you called. He is probably giving you credit for a hand at this point, perhaps even smooth calling an overpair to get him to put more chips in on the turn. If you check the turn, he might check a moderate hand behind to avoid the check-raise and you both have another shot at improving. While it is possible that he holds something like A9, and you might be giving him free cards, he would only have 4 or 5 outs depending on whether any of his outs are diamonds which would improve you. If he in fact bets out on the turn again, you 'have' to give him credit for something. At this point, you should figure that your Q with a weak kicker is no good, and pushing all-in on a draw is pointless.

Personally, I would have probably played the same as you did on the flop, but would have decided to check-call or check-fold the turn depending on the pot-odds he gives me unless my flush came.

Also, please don't take Doyle's name in vein. Doyle doesn't like playing big pots early in tournaments, and like most pros, you can bet that he wouldn't be all in with top pair and a ten kicker with a flush draw at 15/30 blinds. Please don't kid yourself. Most good tourney players will try to keep the pots small, and the win percentage high, so their stacks don't fluctuate too much. If a pro is building a big pot early, it is because he has the nut, (or an excellent read :)

E

edge1128

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
u were way too agressive this time clearly but i def would have folded on the turn if he bet cause he was showing strength...and u werent that strong

K

kcirjr

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You cant pend your play on others. Even in situations like this where others are playing stupid you cant stoop to their level because it is going to bite you in the butt as it did here. Stay tight early and wait for guys that play 74 to get out or wait for a better time. Q10 was not going to be the best hand you get within a hour.