Thread titles

NoWuckingFurries

NoWuckingFurries

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As the Hand Analysis Guidelines thread is locked, I'll make my comments here instead. What makes you think that people who are inexperienced at poker (like me) will know the answers to all those questions that you're asking about?
When posting a hand, the following information is crucial.

- Relevant stack sizes
- Nature of the game (tourney/ring, limit/nl etc)
- Blinds (if tourney)
- Limits (if ring)
- Stage of the game (if tourney - i.e. are you in the money/on the bubble?)
- Table positions of yourself and all relevant players
- Any reads on relevant players (even if it's your first hand at a table, say so so that people don't have to ask if you have reads)
- Your table image (more important in a $200 tourney than a $1 SnG, but still useful to know)
- Any other general comments on your thought processes as the hand progresses
Surely it is obvious from whether you post it in Tournament Hand Analysis or Ring Game Hand Analysis whether it is a ring game or a tournament?
Surely a lot of the information that we fill in at the top tells you about whether it's limit or no limit, if I tick FREEROLL surely it's pretty obvious it's an MTT?
If I have reads on the players I will give them, but often I am multi-tabling and don't have them, especially as I don't use any type of tracker.
I don't necessarily know when it's the bubble, I just play until I'm knocked out most of the time.
I don't necessarily know what my table image is.
I try to post a hand conversion or a screenshot, presumably that helps?

I feel that all these things you demand to know as if it's some sort of right actually discourage inexperienced players from posting, and that's a real pity. I would love to get the advice of people here, but every time I ask for advice I feel as if I'm being bullied. I'm sure you enjoy giving advice to experts who have an enormous knowledge of the game and strategy already, but n00bs need love too!

Dwilius

Dwilius

CardsChat Regular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The fill in the blank system is new, and these guidelines may not have been updated since then. It was started because so many people gave nondescriptive titles or not enough of an introduction to the HH.

Some hands posted are about impossible to give any helpful analysis without more information, thats why some specific details of the situation are needed.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Who's 'demanding' anything? It even says in the OP you quote if you don't have reads, just say you don't have reads (for example), that's cool. ;)

The rationale behind the guidelines is twofold. firstly and most obviously, to help maintain the quality of the forum. that's not to say that people new to poker aren't welcome to post hands here! However, if someone is wanting analysis on a hand but doesn't know what, for example, "on the bubble" means, then that's what we have (a) a search function and (b) a learning poker forum for!

Secondly, it's to help inexperienced players (such as yourself, as you state) learn. Rather than chastising us for what you apparently see as a tiresome list of irrelevant things you need to check off and dismiss before posting a hand, you should be thanking us for reminding you to consider these things. You don't necessarily know when it's the bubble? You should keep one eye on the lobby so you can identify when to abuse the bubble (usually by loosening up in low-mid stakes tournaments). You don't always know what your table image is? Okay, if you're playing a lot of tables and not using PT/HEM then nobody expects you to, but there's a lesson there in itself (play less tables/get PT or HEM).

I can't count the number of times I've been playing (back when I used to play regularly), got into a hand, thought "oh crap i don't know if i played that right", pasted the hand into notepad or something, then come here after the event to post the hand and ask for analysis, but upon converting the hand and detailing my thought processes and suchlike in a post have suddenly realised "hang on a minute, why am i posting this? i clearly made a good/bad decision!" (usually good fyi). We learn best when we are forced to think for ourselves, and setting out a list of guidelines for people to take into consideration before posting a hand encourages people to think for themselves before even posting a hand, which is not a bad thing, both for the forum as a whole and for the individual posting the hand.

NoWuckingFurries

NoWuckingFurries

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm glad that you encourage people to think about these things, and that now people have to specifically check off certain things at the top before they can post a hand for analysis. What I don't like is the feeling that I'm being picked on if I don't provide all that information. I would also like to point out that my earlier post was typed when I was absolutely fuming because I received the impression (incorrectly as it happened) that I was being criticised for posting too many hands in the HA section, in this thread:

https://www.cardschat.com/forum/car...oll-contest-discussion-results-thread-149217/

Always remember, just because you're paranoid, it doesn't necessarily imply that they're not out to get you! :p

Anyway, I apologise for spitting out my dummy...
:)

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No probs bro. I haven't looked at any of your recent threads so I can't really comment yet, but there's no crime in posting a lot of hands at once as long as they fit with the guidelines where applicable. I'd probably prefer to space them out a little to make sure I'm taking everything in, but it's really just a matter of personal preference.

I note in the thread you comment about not knowing which hands will generate discussion, and you're right in that it is often unpredictable. I tend to find discussion can be aided by detailing thought processes though, to give people a starting point for discussion "I agree with you but...", "You're totally wrong in assuming..." etc etc, and similarly revisiting your threads every now and then and picking up on key posts and moving the discussion onwards from there. If I have time I'll see if I can dig up a good example or two of this. One thing to be aware of is that the hands where the decision is most borderline will often get fewer responses if discussion is not aided simply because nobody knows what to say. It's easy for someone to post "You should fold your 93o preflop" or something, but not so easy for someone to comment on a close decision if they're not given some material to 'feed' on.

You're right in that a couple of things probably need updating in light of the new magic HA thread-title parsing system and forum split, and if I remember and nobody beats me to it I'll fix that soon.

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I will keep it in mind the next time i post a hand Dorkus Malorkus, i think i have been keeping up with the rules, and i try to give as much info as i can.