Sunday Million-What a way to lose

R

rStormChaser

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pokerstars Game #11837050366: Tournament #58809305, $200+$15 Hold'em No Limit - Level XIV (1500/3000) - 2007/09/02 - 20:18:45 (ET)
Table '58809305 573' 9-max Seat #5 is the button
Seat 1: -benWU- (45250 in chips)
Seat 2: mattg1983 (55000 in chips)
Seat 3: olega (142725 in chips)
Seat 4: Fjaman (56159 in chips)
Seat 5: the_orm (255909 in chips)
Seat 6: Iftarii (48433 in chips)
Seat 7: The4punisher (25200 in chips)
Seat 8: kevinsweeney (45457 in chips)
Seat 9: rStormChaser (111997 in chips)
-benWU-: posts the ante 300
mattg1983: posts the ante 300
olega: posts the ante 300
Fjaman: posts the ante 300
the_orm: posts the ante 300
Iftarii: posts the ante 300
The4punisher: posts the ante 300
kevinsweeney: posts the ante 300
rStormChaser: posts the ante 300
Iftarii: posts small blind 1500
The4punisher: posts big blind 3000
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to rStormChaser [Ah As]
kevinsweeney: folds
rStormChaser: raises 6000 to 9000
-benWU-: folds
mattg1983: folds
olega: calls 9000
Fjaman: folds
the_orm: folds
Iftarii: folds
The4punisher: folds
*** FLOP *** [5h Kh 8h]
rStormChaser: bets 12000
olega: raises 121425 to 133425 and is all-in
rStormChaser: calls 90697 and is all-in
*** TURN *** [5h Kh 8h] [8c]
*** RIVER *** [5h Kh 8h 8c] [7h]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
rStormChaser: shows [Ah As] (a flush, Ace high)
olega: shows [5s 5d] (a full house, Fives full of Eights)
olega collected 230594 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 230594 | Rake 0
Board [5h Kh 8h 8c 7h]
Seat 1: -benWU- folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: mattg1983 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: olega showed [5s 5d] and won (230594) with a full house, Fives full of Eights
Seat 4: Fjaman folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: the_orm (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: Iftarii (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 7: The4punisher (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 8: kevinsweeney folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: rStormChaser showed [Ah As] and lost with a flush, Ace high

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ouch - that is painful. What place did you finish?

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ITM 822.

Was easy cause I was watching another player and it is still up.

B

broncos53

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you should have raised to 15000 instead of 9000

Flops'm&Bets'm

Flops'm&Bets'm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Would the re-raise not suggest that the player may have hit a set??
Gee, you had a good size stack and a fold is a tough laydown, but circumstance would suggest concede the hand and live to fight another deal? Since the next level of Prize was soon..and the amount you had was substantial to the rest of the field. = above the avg. stack??
At least you cashed your Buy-In...(sigh)
- been in those spots and Pokerstars is classic for Pkt A's getting buried.. the raise may not have taken that player out of the hand either way but ALL-IN pre-flop?? Was that player usually Tight or agressive and a maniac??-just wondering?

I played A-Qc suited and raised 1600 from the button BB was 300/600 and the small blind called the rest folded..heads up and the flop hit As-Qs-Qd...:D and I Bet the pot about 4200, they raise - I push and the showdown is A-A vs. My A-Q :mad: the turn and river made no consequence..yet that was in a Sunday Hundred Grand and it was just before the bubble....
So I know your pain...win that hand and you are set for a good top 20 finishing position... Better cards on the Flop Next Time..the poker Kharma goes around..;) Hope you win a Sunday Million and be set for a few years!:)

R

rStormChaser

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But i had an overpair with the nut flush draw, just too tough a laydown for me. I would have to put him exactly on a set of 5's which i thought was unlikely at the time because i couldnt see him calling 9k more with a small pair. Its just a shame the 8 came on turn because i wouldve rivered a flush.

Just wondering if everyone else here would make the same play as i did or would u actually put him on a set or a flush and lay it down?

oluaris

oluaris

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would have done the same thing, except for the 9000 preflop raise.
i would have raised to 15000 preflop

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'd like to think I could lay it down, as 90K left behind is still enough to play back with later.

As it was played, on the flop your chance of improving to a better set or the flush was about even with their chance of making the boat

Flops'm&Bets'm

Flops'm&Bets'm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hadn't considered the nut flush draw either..if it was me I'd more than likely have played it the same as you, as it DOES seem unlikely that they would get the full house and having added outs with a flush is the RIGHT CALL..only the amount to risk was great vs. the implied Odds. The EV on the + side is the reason you called and I can't say I blame you...in the real best scenario you hit the Ace on the river and topple his set of 5's...by the amount of your stacks being both contenders @ the table, and the place in the tourney, but I contend that you played it correctly, yet the amount raised PF may be the only real mistake.

And as stated, the other players Image and 'your' table Image prior to this hand. If you were both @ the same table for an extended period of time you may have had the better read on the situation...

But it takes great courage to push the CALL button,
and Great contemplation to press FOLD,
And a Professional knows that folding hurts but you still have a position in the game.
As Chris Ferguson says in the FullTilt commercial..."there's ALWAYS the next hand"
As you learn from this experience, the winner at the FINAL table had to have Layed Down some tough hands to get the 'right situation' where the ALL-In gets Called and they have the Hand that wins it all!! :cool: :p
Just try not to let it get you down, if you made it that far, you can make it further next time. That is the upside of down from my perspective - and I am not a PRO!
- Just a Pokerstars regular that has had his share of beats like that very one...:(

p.s. Do you keep track of your stats? How many hands in to how many played to how many won? and what are the %'s of those.?

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
and having added outs with a flush is the RIGHT CALL..

I know we're not doing the math in the heat of the moment, but looking at the figures now...

Pot odds: risking 90,697 to win 127,897. You're getting 1.4:1 on your money.

Odds of improving: assuming none of the flush cards are tainted, that's 9 outs to the nut flush, and maybe 2 outs to a better set. So 11 total, you're about 41% to improve - assuming villain doesn't hit any of the 10 outs (about 38%) he has to improve.

I don't think the pot's offering anywhere near good enough odds to make this a clear-cut 'right call'. This is easy to say when you're not involved in the hand and just analysing it afterwards, of course - I understand completely this isn't the case when you're involved and there's a timer counting down :(

Flops'm&Bets'm

Flops'm&Bets'm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here is the places your opponents at that table finished
- if its of any comfort to ya..(yeah I need a Life!)

the_orm - 155 th
mattg1983 - 186 th
olega - 360 th
Flaman - 361 st
Iftarii - 467 th
kevinsweeney - 652 nd
The4punisher - 729 th
-benWU- - 752 nd

rStormChaser - 822 nd

as it Shows here and comparatively to the other stacks at the time of your play..
-mattg1983 had a low stack at your table and pulled out a good finish in the $..
Patience does play a huge factor in increasing the winning rate %
~Just F.Y.I.~

Flops'm&Bets'm

Flops'm&Bets'm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OzExorcist you are correct..
and the point about being there in the heat of the game..well that is the emotion of the situation playing itself out.
Great 'Math' work there..hope that it helps that guy out.
I myself would be calling as it would be the thought of getting bluffed is infuriating.
And again I CAN lay down some really good hands. Especially when the re-raise puts me ALL-IN..that make me think about where my hand really is..!!

~but this may be a lesson to FOLD~ deeper in the Tournament esp. 'Sunday Million'.. thanks for the posts Oz~

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No worries :)

Of course, if you put the villain on a bluff, or even a lesser flush draw or the pair of kings, you're starting ahead with odds to improve further, and the call looks pretty attractive. But I'd want to be pretty certain of my read before I made the call.