Sunday Million 99 in BB 205 players left

R

rip77111

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
pokerstars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20000 (9 handed) poker stars Converter Tool from comflopturnriver.com (Format: Plain Text)

UTG+1 (t345606)
MP1 (t384668)
MP2 (t134508)
MP3 (t312800)
CO (t163824)
Button (t362432)
SB (t201993)
Hero (t311349)
UTG (t452696)

Preflop: Hero is BB with :9s, :9c.
6 folds, Button raises to t60000, 1 fold, Hero raises to t180000, Button calls t120000.

I am new on table and I have no information about the other player. They are still few more than 200 players, next prize step is at 190th place (step from 1191$ to 1340$) I think my Raise is strong enough but button calls. With ace as only overcard i push the flop. Correct play by me and horrible play by the button or made i a mistake on flop?

Flop: (t374000) :8c, :Ah, :3d (2 players)
Hero bets t129349 (All-In), Button calls t129349.

Turn: (t632698) :Tc (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: (t632698) :Jh (2 players, 1 all-in)

Final Pot: t632698

Results below:
Hero has 9s 9c (one pair, nines).
Button has Ac 6h (one pair, aces).
Outcome: Button wins t632698.

Frank

arahel_jazz

arahel_jazz

Unbalanced and Committed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That "only overcard" just counterfitted your pocket 9's. Your re-raise pre-flop didn't help you either.

I would have smooth called the first raise instead of trying to get into it for almost 10xBB and no read on your opponent. For a $300 step in prize money - I would have tossed the 9's had the button bet the flop.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont like the re-raise PF since you're committing over half of your stack to the pot, which means you're pot committed. It would be very hard to fold your last 130K on the flop when you're getting about 3.5:1 odds to call.
In a situation like this where a re-raise is going to commit you, you're better off either folding or shoving.

Also, what are the antes (if any)? The pot size might be big enough to warrant a re-steal shove with 99s.

mrsnake3695

mrsnake3695

I'm confused
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The Button has you covered, but barely. In a situation like this position and chip stacks are much more important than cards.

In this situation, the button raises, which could mean almost anything from AA to a steal with air. Your reraise could mean to the button that you are defending and trying to resteal and could also have air. That;s why I rarely make a standard reraise in this situation. I will either fold or shove. Folding isn't really an option against buttons range so I shove.

I shove because it takes away the buttons possibility of bluffing and forces him to have a real hand to call. I doubt if he would call almost all his chips with A-6 here, since he would be behind almost any hand you would shove with. With your raise he's getting more than 2-1 odds and against your preceived range it's usually a call. You also tell the rest of the table that you will defend you blind and can't be pushed around.

And, if you did shove and he called, you would have been way ahead, which is what you want.

ripclawph

ripclawph

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would have check-raised my hand if i were you... if he calls then i may think he has something rather than just bluffing to take the pot. and it will depend if he bets on the flop knowing there's an ace on the flop... from there you can decide if you want to throw it all in or throw your hand...

mrsnake3695

mrsnake3695

I'm confused
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would have check-raised my hand if i were you... if he calls then i may think he has something rather than just bluffing to take the pot. and it will depend if he bets on the flop knowing there's an ace on the flop... from there you can decide if you want to throw it all in or throw your hand...

How could you possibly check/raise here?

Hero started with 311,000, he reraise preflop to 180,000, leaving 231,000 behind. There's 370,000+ in the pot. If we check the flop and villan bets we don't have nearly enough to get him to fold anything. Most likely anything villan bets on the flop will be for all our chips anyway. Might as well bet, we could get him off a 10-10, JJ type hand with the ace on the board.

But, considering the chips stacks and positions, I still believe shoving pre-flop is the best move here.

ripclawph

ripclawph

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
opps!! my bad... i mean i would just re-raise the button's raise and check on the flop. then seeing a card higher than my pocket... i would throw it should the button bets. i'll still have half of my stack to build up again or keep it to make it on the next prize step (that is if the blinds will not kill me...).the all-in move is really bad for me.

mrsnake3695

mrsnake3695

I'm confused
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After his reraise preflop and villans call, hero's chip stack is less than the size of the pot. This leaves you with no real options post flop.

Do you check/call a bet that pus you all in? The bet could be a bluff or an Ace, you don't know. If you fold you've crippled yourself by puting in half your chips and then folding. So if you have decided you're going to shove the flop anyway you are much better off doing it preflop when you have fold equity and you are most likely way ahead of villans range. We need to put the pressure on here and get rid of average hands like Ace-X or 2 random over cards.

If he calls the pre-flop shove we are most likely either way ahead or in a coin flip against his range giving you positive EV.

What happens if we shove preflop and he folds (which he should with Ace-6 os). Hero now has about 382,000 and villan is left with 300,000, leaving us in much better position should he get frisky again on the button.

Generally making a bet or raise that leaves us with less than the size of the pot behind should villan call, is a bad idea as you will now not have the C-bet bluff option, or check/raise option. You will only be left with either betting all-in, or checking. If we check, we are open to being bluffed off the best hand which is a killer considering how much we have invested, or giving villan a free card if he has a K-10 or something.

Our chip stack just simply doesn't allow us to fool around here. Just shove pre-flop and take down the pot already there or if called we are way ahead with a good chance of doubling up. (It's results oriented to know that villan hit one of his 3 outs.)

benevg

benevg

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
basically, your re-raise asked for a call. you gave villain too good odds.
and really, the only pre-flop hand that i would want a call with in this situation is AA.

conclusion: shove. or fold. but as the latter is not really an option, shove.

R

rip77111

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I aggree, I should shove directly.

F

feitr

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Reraising was the wrong move. As said before, by reraising you are already pretty much pot committed so just shove (since you aren't going to realistically fold pocket 9s).

B

Bentheman87

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You didn't play it too bad IMO, but shoving preflop would have been better than the smaller raise, but still your pf reraise was big enough that if he knew your hand he would have folded. He was getting 2:1 pf and he was a 2.5:1 underdog for all 5 cards. On the flop you shouldn't check fold because of the ace, you are almost pot comitted here I think. You're giving yourself 2.6:1 on the flop if you shove so you only have to be good 27% of the time or more for a shove to be correct, and I'd say there's a chance he has a hand that you have beat, maybe KQ or KJ or a smaller PP.

ripclawph

ripclawph

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hmmmm... come to think of it, you're right mrsnake! this may be why i seldom make it to the money! LOL! dmn im loving cardschat even more!!!thanks for the tips guys! im adding this to my note...