stealing from the button with high blinds

soccerfreakjj10

soccerfreakjj10

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
about 18 left and 9 received the seat I believe.

I was in 12th place or so at the time. In the given situation I posted, the fact that it was a satellite may have altered my play. However, my original question was actually referring to a normal cash mtt after reflecting on that move in general.

Since it was a satellite, given my situation, what would you have done in this particular case?

Cheetah

Cheetah

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In qualifier, when you are close to the prizes, play should be much different than a regular MTT.

In a regular MTT, you are trying to maximize your $EV. This implies that while you are trying to get in the money, you are not trying to get there with a hoplessly small stack because you would not be able to get to the bigger prizes. The latter implies that you have to take chances and try to steal blinds.

The button is a very good spot for stealing when you are first to act because you only have 2 players left to act. If you wait for a better hand during this round, you will have more players to act so you would require a much better hand in early position to compensate for the significantly increased probability that you will get called by the players behind you.

In a qualifier, all this changes. Stealing near the bubble is completely useless if your stack is sufficient to sneak in the money.

When I am in a similar situation, I measure the speed with which players get eliminated and project that trend to estimate the time to reach the prizes. I also measure the speed of the rounds. With these 2 measurements, you can usually estimate whether your stack is sufficient to sneak in the money.

If I am absolutely sure my stack is big enough, I will stop playing completely. That includes folding AA preflop!

If I am sure I need more chips, then I will move all-in (with short stack) against players in the following order of preference:
  1. Players whose stack is big enough to make it, but if they lose, it will not be
  2. Big stacks that are (correctly) sitting out
  3. Small stacks like me
The objective is to steal the blinds, not to get called. When you are short, you can't wait for good hands, so you have to pick your spots.

Finally, if I am borderline and may or may not make it, I will tighten up and use superior conditions and hands to play. For example, AK against a stack big enough to make it, but not if they lose the hand. In some extreme cases, delaying tactics in this situation might help as well.

beechleaf

beechleaf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well any PP is going too call most of the tyme on a all in blind putting you on A/K or A/Q or A/J or A/10 and know that its a coin flip least what i have seen

soccerfreakjj10

soccerfreakjj10

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well any PP is going too call most of the tyme on a all in blind putting you on A/K or A/Q or A/J or A/10 and know that its a coin flip least what i have seen
Honestly at the time Cheetah the fact that it was a satellite did not really affect my play as much as it should have with blinds that high (I don't play many satellites.) Even my original question was in my mind referring to a cash mtt.

I appreciate the insight into a experienced player, and will definitely alter my strategy next satellite.

Also I am nearing the satellite strategy section in HoH 2. Looking forward to that...

jaketrevvor

jaketrevvor

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This being a satellite is obv important to evaluating your pushing range, and I think a case can easily be made that with SB's comfortable chip position his range is considerable tighter - of course depending on the number of seats awarded/number of entrants, as in many satellites this would be 1/5 in which case he folds it to the money but if this is 1/10 he doesn't. BB has a looser than normal range as he's shortstacked to the same degree as you are and really needs to defend with a lot of hands, and of course it does look like a fairly classic button steal he's facing, but I can definately see him folding here and trying to utilise some FE in the next round where he gains position. What was the seat payout structure out of interest?

Great thread!

(http://members.cox.net/wastrel333/Pushbot%20Charts1.pdf is very useful on this topic from https://www.cardschat.com/forum/cash-games-11/open-sh...cussion-83565/ that Chuck posted earlier)

Goldog

Goldog

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey, who's that guy sitting behind you:D

BTW,

K6o is a monster here. Oh well, at least you had an overcard
and a chance:rolleyes:

goldog

soccerfreakjj10

soccerfreakjj10

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the payout structure was 1/10 i believe... Approximately final 18 and i was in 12th position i believe... Final 9 got the seat

Not positive on that though, the tournament was a long time ago at this point...

also THANK YOU jake for those links I was looking for the pushbot pdf earlier but couldn't find it :)

and lol you were in the tournament goldog! well I hope at least you got the seat...