• We would love to hear your thoughts! Click here to take a short survey on your CardsChat experience: Rate Your CardsChat Experience

Forum members receive 10 VIP Chips for participating (follow instructions on form).

Someone tell me what i did or didn't do wrong

gjshand

gjshand

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think i would have made the call pre-flop he did.

Bear in mind it is a Freeze Out and there is only 50 left, Last 10 pay.

Just after opinions, Good or Bad.

** Game ID 784858432 starting - 2006-05-08 02:26:51
** $5 NL Freezeout:Table 5 [Multi Table Hold 'em] (150.00|300.00 No Limit - MTT) real money

- jstroker76 sitting in seat 1 with $2826.00
- rhcp2231 sitting in seat 2 with $4727.50
- swan1970 sitting in seat 3 with $2510.00 [Dealer]
- balbegjim sitting in seat 4 with $5010.00
- J1A2M3I4E5S6 sitting in seat 5 with $1715.00
- D-Rod sitting in seat 7 with $8945.00
- SuperStal2 sitting in seat 8 with $2590.00
- shellback63 sitting in seat 9 with $2150.00

balbegjim posted the small blind - $75.00
J1A2M3I4E5S6 posted the big blind - $150.00

** Dealing card to balbegjim: Queen of Hearts, Queen of Clubs
D-Rod folded
SuperStal2 folded
shellback63 raised - $300.00
jstroker76 folded
rhcp2231 folded
swan1970 folded
balbegjim raised - $1200.00
J1A2M3I4E5S6 folded
shellback63 called - $1200.00

** Dealing the flop: Jack of Hearts, King of Diamonds, 9 of Diamonds
balbegjim went all-in - $3885.00
shellback63 went all-in - $950.00
shellback63 shows: Ace of Diamonds, Jack of Diamonds

** Dealing the turn: 5 of Diamonds

** Dealing the river: 7 of Hearts
shellback63 wins $4450.00 from the main pot

End of game 784858432

DESSERTLADY

DESSERTLADY

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
gj,

I am going to try to take a stab(I don't analyze very often so we'll see what happens)

Did you have a read on this guy? Was he raising preflop with just any 2 cards? Or was he a tight player?
Without know that, I am just going to throw this out.

I think the preflop call was fine. I myself, post flop would have been a bit worried about the flush draw and the King. But you yourself had a straight draw. Being that your allin bet(seemed, I can't tell for sure, not a numbers gal) was a bit more than a pot size bet and he was on a flush and straight draw and had hit second pair.
I'm not sure even with a smaller bet post flop that he wouldn't have come over the top with his hand.
He was short stacked and was short stacked going into this hand. Not totally screwed mind you but some people think "oh well it's now or never". You just don't know if that hadn't been the best hand he had seen in a very long while and it just looked really good to him. There is nothing you can do about someone else being the lucky one and hitting his draw.

How's that? :D

Last edited:
Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villain's stack is short enough here to make putting him allin preflop (and thus avoiding second-guessing yourself if an A or K flops) a feasible option.

There's nothing really wrong with your line though, I suppose.

Edit: Just noticed you're OOP, which makes the push preflop much more preferable.

C

chickensuit

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are going to reraise him preflop you should have just put him all-in and make him make the decision there. After he raised 300 the pot was plenty big to try and take it down there by reraising only 900 more it is hard for most players to fold there getting good pot odds on the call. You have decided to reraise which means you are committed to playing the hand all-in so you might as well pushed right there your chances of taking down the pot there would have been much better...and as we all know it is better to win a small one than to lose a big one.

M

mrb0981

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, Shellback, being shortstacked, definitely should have pushed all in preflop. I think with that little of a raise, with QQ, I would have raised all in and made him decide for all of his chips. However, with a quarter of his chips in and the blinds so high, I think he probably would have called anyway. I don't think there is a scenario where you would have gotten him to fold before the flop, b/c he already had a good portion of his chips in b/c he got to act first. After, the flop, again, he couldn't fold with all the outs and most of his chips in.

I think if this hand were played many times, by many different people, the betting might change, but I believe the outcome would be the same almost everytime due to the size of the chipstacks, the blinds, and the fact that the AJ gets to act first.

Poker Tells