Some analysis please of my latest knockout

A

artsluver

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,

Just wanted some feedback on this hand, went out 1700 of 2700 in a FTP freeroll, felt like I made the right call with a set of 10's, don't think he should have been all in with a gut shot except as a bully trying to steal the pot, thought I had to have the best odds. Am I wrong?? did I make the wrong move here?

Just been doing this a month so could use some feedback.

Cheers!

Stacks:
- mike95401 with 4340 - getKrunkHoe with 2900 - loosingmychips with 8720 - artsluver with 1520 - LuckyLike17 with 1545

index.pl

index.pl

Site: full tilt poker
* - Dealt to artsluver:
td.gif
ts.gif

* - Sklansky group 2
Preflop:
* - mike95401 calls [40] loosingmychips calls [40]
* - artsluver raises to 200
* - mike95401 calls [160] loosingmychips calls [160]
* - Folds: 5
* - Potsize: 640
Flop:
th.gif
qd.gif
9d.gif

* - artsluver checks
* - mike95401 bets [280] loosingmychips raises to 8,520, and is all in
* - artsluver calls [1,320] [ all-in ] loosingmychips shows :
7h.gif
kd.gif

* - artsluver shows :
td.gif
ts.gif
Uncalled bet of 7,200 returned to loosingmychips
* - Folds: 1
* - Potsize: 10760
Turn:
5c.gif

* - Potsize: 10760
River:
jc.gif

* - loosingmychips shows a straight, King high
* - artsluver shows three of a kind, Tens loosingmychips wins the pot (3,560) with a straight, King high

Poker Hand Converter By Cardschat.com Poker Forum

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I understand the desire to close this hand down now, on the flop, with such a draw heavy board, but there is a good likelihood here that you are already beaten.

Your preflop raise , IMO, may be a little heavy, looking more like a steal attempt than a solid hand. 160 might have been better, still above norm, but not so obvious.

With that flop you really have to start thinking that your gonna need to hit the boat to win it. Nice as the set is, the board suggests it is gonna get some action.

Villain sees your bet, and thinks, ah ha!, he flopped the str8, but look at all my outs! Plus that football game is looking interesting, what the hell?

Remember this is a freeroll.

Personally, I don't see a great reason to go to the dance here. You could have played this more standardly, and lost fewer chips, or more likely, played it more standardly and won this on a reasonable turn bet that gets villain thinking. Remember he has nothing but potential pre river.

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it was the third person in the hand that bet; artslover checked the flop, though I'm not sure why. I'm assuming you figured someone would bet and you could checkraise, in which case you're trying to get all your chips in 'cause you have a set.

I think it's fine to get all your money in here; early play in a freeroll is either stay out of donkey's ways or gamble trying to build a stack. You had him where you wanted him; chasing a J.

It never stops there either; the last $5.50 SnG I bubbled not convincing someone that I had a hand and he called, filling his gutshot on the turn.

A

artsluver

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,

Still learning to see the straight all the time, seems like there is almost always one, it tends to spank me a lot.

I just thought, why the heck would someone put their tourney on the line needing a gut shot??? what did he have a 7% chance of hitting?? and he is the better there?

Also I am trying to build my stack and not let it get eaten away by the bully. How do I defend my stack if cannot play a set?? I realize that the freeroll is a different beast, but playing my stack in a normal tourney that way is the wrong move for sure?? I guess I should have looked at my set and said to myself he hit the straight on the flop right?? but he didn't, he pushed with a drawing hand he had what 1/8 1/10 of hitting?

How do I deal with the bully, what is my mindset supposed to be, what hands do I defend against the guy who is constantly betting half my stack or more? he has to have junk a lot of the time, how do I let him blind me away or not let me see any flop with a good starter??

Cheers!

I still don't have the skills to play as the bully when I got a stack, but I need to find a way to defend against him - after all my big brother isn't at the table. :)

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why do people post hands like this for "analysis"? It's just a bad beat. One thing you can learn, however: in a freeroll there is no need to slowplay: move in on the flop here and get called by a ton of hands, including the gutshot.

A

artsluver

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,

I put this hand and others up for analysis to try and learn the right way to act in the situations I am in, that is all. Like I have said I have been at this a month only, so am still learning and trying to learn from mistakes, and also trying to learn when mistakes are not mistakes but the right moves.

So that is why I posted the hand and the others, and the ones that are surely to come. This is the stage I am at in the learning process, trying to deal with the bully and the emotions, someday I will be beyond that I hope and posting hands pertinent to that stage of my development.

Cheers!