Small tourney hand needs some analysis

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Blinds are 300/600, I'm in UTG+2. Ten players at the table.UTG has the chip lead at the table and has me out chipped by a ratio of 3-1.I have a chipstack of about 7k.Tables have just been balanced and I had just moved to the table.
UTG - bets 2400
UTG+1 calls 2400
UTG+2 folds AKos (after some thought)

I would have definately raised UTGs bet had it been folded to me but UTG+1 call kinda spooked me.Tell me what you think, if you need more info, I'll do my best to add what you may need.

BTW, this is a live game which had 50 entrants with the top 5 being paid and we were down to about 35 players.

tosborn

tosborn

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a situation where really need to know where the bubble is, and what UTG+1's stack is.

I probably shove this because we shouldn't be worried about UTG+1 too much. UTG+1's range without reads and stack size for me is 88-JJ, and AJ+. If you shove it will be very difficult for either to call given the amount of strength that you'll be showing. UTG's range should be slightly wider simply because he is the big stack. I would say 66+, AT+, and suited connectors to 89. I can't see this hand being dominated and what little fold equity that we do have sways me in favor of shoving.

I really don't like to see myself below an M of 5 and we are rapidly approaching this area. However, I fold if the money is really close.

Edit: I missed the part about this being live and being only down to 35/50. With only 5 being paid I think I still shove this most of the time. Although live players tend to be a little tighter than the ranges that I gave above. This is a really tough spot and I dont fault the fold at all.

Last edited:
OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me, this is all about reads.

A 4BB bet and call from UTG / UTG+1 at a ten-handed table represents strenght if they're decent players. 2400 is a bit over a third of your stack, so this is pretty much a shove or fold hand. Shoving gives your opponents odds to call with a fairly wide range of hands too.

I might consider shoving this if I thought there was a decent chance UTG was just bullying and UTG+1 was passive enough to just call with something like AJ or KQ - in that case, hopefully UTG would fold and UTG+1 would call with their inferior hand.

If UTG is a solid player though, or if there's other players yet to act that you think are likely to get involved too, then I think this hand is one you can get away from - and since you're new to the table, if you don't know the players already it doesn't hurt to err on the side of caution. You don't need to risk your tournament in this situation.

jaketrevvor

jaketrevvor

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have definately raised UTGs bet had it been folded to me but UTG+1 call kinda spooked me.

How so? Was this because of a read? Was he playing extraodinarily tight or something? Most importantly of course is his stack size. If he had a 20k stack I can see a call here with a lot of pockets but with 10k it would be a completely different story. Also, how was you're table playing? If 21k was the chip lead then its probably that there were several people with around around your number of chips - were they itching to shove or playing passively? This very much affects what UTG+1's range, as if it was shovemania I can see him coldcalling with a big pair but if it's limping around most hands he could call with suited connectors or any pp pretty much, inducing more callers (again this is heavily dependent on stack sizes).

I shove anyway here, as UTG's range is very loose due to chips lead and a lot of the time I can see a medium pp or AK/AQ/AJ from UTG+1, and we need chips now if we want a chance to make final 5. Anyway plz post info on stack sizes + how table is playing + how UTG+1 is playing (+ buy-in of tourney)

B

Britter2

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I really think you need to take the buy in too, when the money is about to be paid, when the blinds are going up..there is some missing information. How did the rest of the hand play out?

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How so? Was this because of a read? Was he playing extraodinarily tight or something? Most importantly of course is his stack size. If he had a 20k stack I can see a call here with a lot of pockets but with 10k it would be a completely different story. Also, how was you're table playing? If 21k was the chip lead then its probably that there were several people with around around your number of chips - were they itching to shove or playing passively? This very much affects what UTG+1's range, as if it was shovemania I can see him coldcalling with a big pair but if it's limping around most hands he could call with suited connectors or any pp pretty much, inducing more callers (again this is heavily dependent on stack sizes).

I shove anyway here, as UTG's range is very loose due to chips lead and a lot of the time I can see a medium pp or AK/AQ/AJ from UTG+1, and we need chips now if we want a chance to make final 5. Anyway plz post info on stack sizes + how table is playing + how UTG+1 is playing (+ buy-in of tourney)
Tables have just been balanced and I had just moved to the table.

The buy-in was $40 with no re-buys

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really think you need to take the buy in too, when the money is about to be paid, when the blinds are going up..there is some missing information. How did the rest of the hand play out?
I had folded and folds around to UTG, flop came 6QJ rainbow, UTG bet another 2400 and UTG+1 folded.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands