Small stakes SnG's

ukaliks

ukaliks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi, i've only been playin poker for 10months n i love SnG's. I rarely make it to the final table n im still in need of improving my game. But mayb just a little tlk with you great folks about ur small stakes SnG's strategy's please.

Do u start of tight bcos its not worth riskin ur chips for the low blind level's or do u take advantage of them?

Do u start to get ultra aggressive near the middle of the tourney or do u save that for the final table?

Does it annoy you when u raise n u get 4+ ppl to a pot n u miss ur hand on the flop n u just think time 2 check/fold.

N one more question...y are my bluffs gettin called n my monster hands not gettin any money?
Lol sorry if i sound wingy, but just wanna ask some questions cos sounds like there's some realy good ppl on this forum. Thanks ppl!!

Chiefer

Chiefer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i am assuming by small stakes, you mean $1 to $5 games. however, i've found that playing tight throughout the game will get you into the money more often than not. play your monsters, see cheap flops, fold a lot. players will stack you off with top pair against your two pair or better all the time. patience is the key to small stakes SNG's IMO.

this should be in the poker strat section.

F

feitr

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are a couple of schools of thought for the first question. Personally, i think you should be playing very tight in general, but trying to limp in with your small pps and s/cs, because they are high implied odds hands at a stage when you have very high implied odds because of the stack/blind ratio. I'd steer away from playing hands like A9 KJ etc at the start (althought there are exceptions of course) however since they are more likely to get you into trouble than anything.

It is a good time to get ultra aggressive when 1. the blinds start to make it worth it and 2. around the bubble (of both finishing in the money and the FT...ofc i have no idea the size of the sng you are talking about...presuming 180 tho). The bubble is a perfect time for aggression because alot of players aren't willing to take a risk to get knocked out and would rather lose chips but make money/FT.

Well you can always raise more, but oftentimes you will have weird hands like this and yes your best line is just to suck it up and c/f.

Try not to bluff too much at micro stakes but idk this is a pretty impossible question to answer. It could be that you take bizzare lines with bluffs that it is hard to imagine the hand you are representing actually taking but it is probably just all in your head, no offense.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Small stakes SNG's, bluffing is a waste of chips. Tight play will get you consistently ITM. Making poker moves on folks who are paying no attention to how you are playing does nothing but turn the game into a lucksack donkathon.

KyleJRM

KyleJRM

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Small stakes SNG's, bluffing is a waste of chips. Tight play will get you consistently ITM. Making poker moves on folks who are paying no attention to how you are playing does nothing but turn the game into a lucksack donkathon.

Agree and disagree.

By "don't bluff," if you mean "don't try to push people off hands they obviously like," then yes.

But stealing blinds and taking down pots with c-bets? You should be doing that all day long. These guys practically give you their blinds.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Agree and disagree.

By "don't bluff," if you mean "don't try to push people off hands they obviously like," then yes.

But stealing blinds and taking down pots with c-bets? You should be doing that all day long. These guys practically give you their blinds.

Yes they do & you are correct that you should, just keep in mind that they will suckout now & then & don't let that throw you off your game.

I

Inscore77

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, i've only been playin poker for 10months n i love SnG's. I rarely make it to the final table n im still in need of improving my game. But mayb just a little tlk with you great folks about ur small stakes SnG's strategy's please.

Do u start of tight bcos its not worth riskin ur chips for the low blind level's or do u take advantage of them?

Do u start to get ultra aggressive near the middle of the tourney or do u save that for the final table?

Does it annoy you when u raise n u get 4+ ppl to a pot n u miss ur hand on the flop n u just think time 2 check/fold.

N one more question...y are my bluffs gettin called n my monster hands not gettin any money?
Lol sorry if i sound wingy, but just wanna ask some questions cos sounds like there's some realy good ppl on this forum. Thanks ppl!!
Lol, I didnt mean post a question like this here, I meant copy and paste an actual hand history from your games into here

O

orangepeeleo

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Read Harrington vol 2 and learn about M and inflection points, most of the people at these stakes don't understand it.

Because of the fast levels and relatively short stacks compared to the blinds it's better to either go all in or fold your hand in later rounds as messing around with 3xBB raises will leave you in a bad spot if your called and you don't hit the flop. Just push it in with a wide range in the right spots and you give people big decisions to make, especially at/near the bubble.

C

ColdDeckCity

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For small stakes STT TIGHT IS RIGHT.

Play SUPER tight in opening rounds, but consider limping with pocket pairs and suited aces if in late position to try and snag a big pot with sets and nut flushes

C

canavese

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
For small stakes STT TIGHT IS RIGHT.

Play SUPER tight in opening rounds, but consider limping with pocket pairs and suited aces if in late position to try and snag a big pot with sets and nut flushes

yes, but some time, someone play very loose and when they get the card at the river for to times, evrytime playng tight you will lose under ther influenction