Simple situation with shortstack...

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
CD poker, $5 maui STT, and it's down to the final four.
I don't have exact stack sizes, but I've got a very comfortable stack (~3K), and villain has 400. I've got J2h on the BB, and the shortstack is on the SB.
I've been playing fairly aggressive in recent hands, as this is the stage when I really loosen up. Villain is very passive, having limped A7c from the CO with only 3 or 4 BBs left only a few hands ago. He also limped into me earlier with KT or something, and a similarly tiny stack that should really be pushing with any face card.

Anyways, it folds around to the SB who limps (for half his stack:confused:). Do you put him in or check?

I just thought this was a strange situation, and since I had to stop and think during the hand as to what to do for a longer-than-usual time, I thought I'd ask you guys. Alot of explaining for a simple situation...but w/e.

I ended up checking, and the flop came 9s5sAh, and after he pushed I folded.

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your stack is large enough. Put him in and let the poker gods do their worst. Don't let him see a flop then get to make a decision. Make him make a decision for all of his chips with just the two cards he is holding.

IMO.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Push with any two.

buckster436

buckster436

Cardschat Hall of Famer - RIP Buck
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With the chips you got, you put him all in, you have to take chances, if he wins the hand he doubles up to 800 and you still got plenty of chips
buck:joyman:

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The small blind obviously isn't too confident with his hand so he just wants to see the flop. If you push him all in, he might fold. Even if he calls and wins the showdown, you only lose 400 chips.

bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Push him all in. If he wins he gets more confident. Then you just snatch those chips back while they are still warm.

D

Dingodaddy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
check and push any flop. if he's dumb enough to limp for half his stack, he's dumb enough to fold with half his stack in the pot if he misses

S

scifell

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with Dingodaddy

I dont see anything wrong with checking here as long as you ignore the flop and push in afterwards no matter what- because he should be willing to do the same thing, and if not, you are taking advantage of his mistake. If he would have been correct to push in before the flop, you are correcting his (potential) mistake by doing it for him. If it would have been incorrect to push before the flop, it now *is* correct to call your push. You no longer gain anything by pushing preflop.

But again, you must be willing to push/call any flop, with any two cards. You can't take his bet on the flop as meaning anything because he is commited to the pot anyway, and if he missed the flop [and you did too], you still have the odds to call with 23o (or whatever else).

Last edited: