Simple question: check behind or push?

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Too early for any real reads... guy seems solid enough. Not really expecting replies because I rarely get any on these things (I'm trying to learn, geez!) But would you check behind or push the rest in (about 600 more chips) and why? Any input is greatly appreciated, really.

Full Tilt Poker Game #1217615407: $50 + $5 Sit & Go (8412027), Table 1 - 30/60 - No Limit Hold'em - 0:22:45 ET - 2006/11/09
Seat 1: StixE (1,330)
Seat 2: Borat_Kazak (1,815)
Seat 3: bootina (1,920)
Seat 4: MarsMan2001 (1,170)
Seat 5: frustr8or (1,595)
Seat 6: cyrano1 (365)
Seat 7: jmirabellam (1,530)
Seat 8: hubig (2,340)
Seat 9: combuboom (1,435)
bootina posts the small blind of 30
MarsMan2001 posts the big blind of 60
The button is in seat #2
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to combuboom [Ks Kc]
frustr8or folds
cyrano1 folds
jmirabellam folds
hubig has 15 seconds left to act
hubig calls 60
combuboom raises to 180
StixE folds
Borat_Kazak folds
bootina folds
MarsMan2001 folds
hubig calls 120
*** FLOP *** [7c Js 6s]
hubig checks
combuboom bets 225
hubig calls 225
*** TURN *** [7c Js 6s] [6d]
hubig checks
combuboom bets 400
hubig calls 400
*** RIVER *** [7c Js 6s 6d] [Jd]
hubig checks
combuboom...

P

PIGGEBANK

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
First, you have to look at some of the possibilities. There are several things that stick out to me here. The first being that he limped in from MP and called your 3x raise, which is fairly small --- that furthers the amount of hands he could be on. The fact that he is check calling the continuation bet on the flop, then check calling the bet on the turn and that screams straight draw or flush draw. If you are comfortable with putting him on this, then a value bet of around 200 would be appropriate on the river to give him the odds of calling with a less than decent hand. If you have any doubt, always check behind.

Hope this helps. I'd be interested in seeing the rest of the hand.

Schatzdog

Schatzdog

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd check it down. I think you've got it but this way if you're wrong and with the blinds so low at the moment you could re-build if you're beat.

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the replies, guys. Pigge, I considered the same thing about it looking like him maybe being on a draw, but it seemed odd that he would call the 400 bet on the turn on a spade draw, especially since the board is paired so he could hit his flush and still not have the best hand. The value bet of 200 or so is another thing I considered, but with my stack only 600, I figured he might actually be more likely to think it's a bluff when I push as opposed to making a bet that looks like it's begging for a call. Of course if I'm beat, it won't matter whether I push or value bet, since he'd probably just re-raise my value bet all-in and I'd have to call.

Schatz, I thought the same as what you said about 600 chips still giving me a shot to rebuild. If I push and I'm right, well I win an extra 600 chips, but it still doesn't guarantee anything this early in the tournament. If I push and I'm wrong, I'm knocked out and get no chance to win it.

Ultimately I decided to play it safe and check. Villain showed 99 and I won the hand. It just made me wonder if I should have pushed my last 600, because it would have been quite less than half the pot for him, and I figure he definitely may have called. Again, thanks for replying guys.

Schatzdog

Schatzdog

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No problem mate,

I think he has you on AK/AQ.

How did this guy do in the rest of the tournament because this isn't a great play by him to be honest?

O

OneMoreBust

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You didnt bet enough pre-flop

You didn't bet enough on the flop

I'd raise it up to 300 minimum on the pre flop, why let A 7 drag his ass in and spike an ace on the flop?

I'd raise minimum of 600 on the flop, you don't want any draws in.

After that Id push the rest on the turn, AJ might have stayed in, but I doubt he has the 6.

River that you saw, you have to check, betting is pointless, unless you put him on QQ or another pocket pair (which he luckily was)

Check/calls that he put through to you screamed pocket pair, but he could have easily had top pair as well.

/shrug :) just my 2 cents

KerouacsDog

KerouacsDog

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hubig played this badly, I really cant understand people with their low to medium pairs, they love to hang on to them till the very end.
I think you played it well combu, it was hard to put him on any hand, cetainly not 99!
Leave yourself something just in case the muppet has got the fullhouse.

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
He's calling with A-2. I bet this river every time.

bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bet the river. But back make it enticing. I would have bet about 200. Not enough to scare him off. But enough for him to take a shot.

O

OneMoreBust

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the way you played it. I would've raised more preflop. But it worked out in your favor. I would've raised more preflop and checked the flop. But I lose alot so take my advice and CHUCK IT OUT THE WINDOW. NH Sir.

Why check the flop when they have a higher pocket pair and there is a flush draw?

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You didnt bet enough pre-flop

You didn't bet enough on the flop

I'd raise it up to 300 minimum on the pre flop, why let A 7 drag his ass in and spike an ace on the flop?

I'd raise minimum of 600 on the flop, you don't want any draws in.

After that Id push the rest on the turn, AJ might have stayed in, but I doubt he has the 6.

River that you saw, you have to check, betting is pointless, unless you put him on QQ or another pocket pair (which he luckily was)

Check/calls that he put through to you screamed pocket pair, but he could have easily had top pair as well.

/shrug :) just my 2 cents

Only one limper, I didn't want to raise 1/5 of my stack when blinds are 30/60, completely scare everyone off. It's not like it's an MTT; you have to consider what a 5x BB is in relation to the average stack. I could go as high as 240 but never 5 BBs at this point in an SnG with only one limper, personally. If there's 4 limpers then I may.

I bet half the pot on the flop... I think that's pretty standard for the situation, though I could have bet a little more, sure. If he calls with a straight or flush draw, he's not getting good odds.

Didn't actually consider pushing on the flop, but that's definitely a possibility. Anybody else think that would have been a good idea?

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have been all-in on the river. And that's before I saw the results! He's not playing it like he has a big hand, and I thought to myself, medium pocket pair or a hand like QJ or a flush draw. I don't think you're beaten here.

loopmeister

loopmeister

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. Bigger PF raise. I take your point about scaring the fish, but still. 5X BB

2. He's called 2 halfpot bets. What the heck does he have? Why isn't he raising? I don't see many draws, so I figure he's a weak player holding Jx. This means FH on the river. You've been betting, so the check could be a check-raise attempt. I take this as a chance to see his cards for free, so I take it.

J

jsaw

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Simple rules for value betting on the river - if the only hands that will call can beat you check it down. If you have a chaser value bet; if you have a solid player beware the trap.