SICK of freeroll bad beats/drawn out on

B

bluffmaster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
<edit>before i start i must point out that i didnt have to go all in here, could of seriously got away from it just decided not to, for sheer apathy<edit> and also would of liked to edit title of this thread to (SICK of freerolls!) seen as this aint really a bad beat, i just got caught up in the moment and didnt see past the hand... untill afterwards of course

this hand litrally threw me on tilt "during" the hand
this guy, who we all labelled the bot, calling station, just all round maniac/dangerous,
heres my last hand, and hopefully my last ever freeroll hand, cant wait to get paid.

pokerstars Game #12246433538: Tournament #61542545, Freeroll Hold'em No Limit - Level V (75/150) - 2007/09/24 - 16:17:14 (ET)
Table '61542545 94' 9-max Seat #5 is the button
Seat 1: carlssss (125 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 2: BlufMaster52 (4865 in chips)
Seat 3: albinuks (34253 in chips)
Seat 4: 4acespoker4 (30 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 5: Dunneone (390 in chips)
Seat 6: frogfen (75 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 7: muller10 (125 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 8: bensfish (45 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 9: sxemf (100 in chips) is sitting out
frogfen: posts small blind 75 and is all-in
muller10: posts big blind 125 and is all-in
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to BlufMaster52 [6h 6d]
bensfish: folds
sxemf: folds
carlssss: folds
BlufMaster52: calls 150
albinuks: raises 150 to 300
4acespoker4: folds
Dunneone has timed out
Dunneone: folds
frogfen: folds
muller10: folds
Dunneone is sitting out
BlufMaster52: calls 150
*** FLOP *** [Ts 6s 7s]
Dunneone has returned
BlufMaster52: bets 1500
albinuks: calls 1500
*** TURN *** [Ts 6s 7s] [Qs]
BlufMaster52: checks
albinuks: bets 17850
BlufMaster52: calls 3065 and is all-in
*** RIVER *** [Ts 6s 7s Qs] [3d]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
BlufMaster52: shows [6h 6d] (three of a kind, Sixes)
albinuks: shows [Ks Ah] (a flush, King high)
BlufMaster52 said, "666"
albinuks collected 9480 from side pot-2
albinuks collected 150 from side pot-1
BlufMaster52 said, "****in insane"
albinuks collected 300 from main pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 9930 Main pot 300. Side pot-1 150. Side pot-2 9480. | Rake 0
Board [Ts 6s 7s Qs 3d]
Seat 1: carlssss folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: BlufMaster52 showed [6h 6d] and lost with three of a kind, Sixes
Seat 3: albinuks showed [Ks Ah] and won (9930) with a flush, King high
Seat 4: 4acespoker4 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: Dunneone (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: frogfen (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 7: muller10 (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 8: bensfish folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: sxemf folded before Flop (didn't bet)

any ideas? this guy was seriously calling me down with bottom pair alot of the times.. every time i raised the flop he called, no matter how much...

maybe he figured he doesnt care if he doubles me up... how should i play hands like this when i know i will almost definatelly get called with any draw.

oh and prior to this i hadnt made a bad move, always the first mistake i make i crumble and give my chips away(on freerolls) dnt remember doing that much for real. but spose the same gameplay aplies to ALL games of poker for money or not.

Last edited:
M

maltz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With a suited flop, I usually do one of the two things if I flopped top-pair-top-kicker or better (in your case, a set):

(1) Go all-in with a super oversized bet

I am trying to represent a made, small-medium flush, or something equally decent. People might also suspect that you are the donk who push with the made nut flush.

If there are more than 3 people in the pot, this move is quite risky, as weak players love to play suited hole cards. One of them might have made the flush. Also, weak players love to pursue nut flush draw. So chances are at least one of them will call you, and they either beat you with their magical 2s Js right here, or 1/3 of the time they suck you out by River.

In a ring game this is nice as you bust them 2/3 of the time in the long run. But in a tournament you want to survive to get paid.

My experience is that if you are patient, the reckless calling stations (plus the unfortunate good players who were sucked out by these calling stations) will go out pretty soon. Just play tighter for the first two rounds.

(2) Bet the pot, and see what comes on Turn

If the Turn card looks dangerous (as in your case) I would just check the river and call only a small raise. Now if the river makes me a full house, I will be very happy. If you bet less than the pot you might give the correct odds to call for a straight + flush drawer.

If you remember how Matt Damon lost to KGB in the movie rounder in the first place... he overbets the flop with top two pair (hole card A9, flop A98), and KGB called because he flopped the top set. When your opponent called your oversized flop bet, you should be very cautious. Other than the obvious flush draw + donk combo, they might have flopped a better set than yours. There is no reason to make the call on river, unless you want to bad beat him with a full house (about 1:4 odds for you), or the one-outer 6 quad. :)

Last edited:
E

ellisman7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Terribly unlucky here. I think no matter what move you made here, you were going to get called. Its a fact. You suffered a bad beat pretty much...but this is what freerolls are known for. I'm sick of them myself since the play in real money tournies(where people actually invest money into tournies) is a lot better.

J

jsi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont see how this is a bad beat. Villain here has a huge stack. It's effectively a short table. It sucks to make set on a flush board, but sometimes you just need to fold these hands unless you can get to see the turn/river for cheap/free and hit a boat then double up. You need the absolute nuts to go all in here, not 'hope' that villain doesnt have a flush or even a flush draw.

B

bluffmaster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont see how this is a bad beat. Villain here has a huge stack. It's effectively a short table. It sucks to make set on a flush board, but sometimes you just need to fold these hands unless you can get to see the turn/river for cheap/free and hit a boat then double up. You need the absolute nuts to go all in here, not 'hope' that villain doesnt have a flush or even a flush draw.
i will quote my first post for you, to clarify...

<edit>before i start i must point out that i didnt have to go all in here, could of seriously got away from it just decided not to, for sheer apathy<edit> and also would of liked to edit title of this thread to (SICK of freerolls!) seen as this aint really a bad beat, i just got caught up in the moment and didnt see past the hand... untill afterwards of course

J

jsi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry, my bad. Ignore the first sentence then... but the rest still applies.

B

bluffmaster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry, my bad. Ignore the first sentence then... but the rest still applies.
yea i realise the all in was bad.

i KNEW he had the flush by the turn, 100% without a doubt, just couldnt believe my luck/bad luck, so i gave in/crumpled/called in spite. first thing that came into my head was need to post this on cardschat, so i went all in, ... dumb..

at least it was early on and i dnt lose any dignity because its a freeroll, but at the same time.

oh yea and "the first thing that went though my mind was to post this on carschat", i wanted to know prior to the all in did i play this right?

and with the consideration that if i had of gone all in on the flop id of been called, all in preflop id of been called, there was no other way to play this hand, up to this 1 hand i was having a lovely time tho making amazing decisions/ calling with marginal hands purely on a read. lovely time..

so really this post is showing some of the hands I/you have to deal with getting away from in freerolls, hmm starting to think im giving my secrets away too much lol. and clearly i got away from this hand. (ie this was 100% suicide)

Last edited:
B

bluffmaster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you bet less than the pot you might give the correct odds to call for a straight + flush drawer.

in response to your statements you made, i had a very clear read on the huge stacked guy, he was a donk who had gotten lucky probably on the first hand and thus ammassed a huge stack, and was now trying to play big stack small ball, probably after watchin 1 video of daniel negreanu, but yea this particular hand i knew without a shadow of doubt if he had any spade hed be chasing no matter the cost. so i over bet in fear of him calling to anything less. ..and i suppose if my read was bad, and this guy was actually daniel negreanu himself then the overbet might have looked suspicious. but tbh its very very very obvlious i have made something on the flop, so to call with AKmiss flush draw is absurd for daniel.

A

ace2727

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sometimes you just need to fold a good hand

B

bluffmaster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ok im sick of this...

i know i folded here! 100% of the time i would fold here, the argument is not about the all in i know that was wrong that was my control i did it purposefully with the only intention of suicide. this of course i would only do in a freeroll, my frame of mind at the time and the fact it was a freeroll with basically me and him, everyone else was sitting out, i just couldnt be bothered taking it seriously, it was a joke.

the only reason this is up here is to ask advise/ test to see if i played it right prior all in which is obvious.

any more comments about the all in i am not replying to.. and i hope you like my enthusiasm towards my posts... maybe i defend a little too much dont I? hehe