Should you go to a turn?

killing_random

killing_random

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Example: https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/824T82Zq1

I wanted to make him fold his broadway but he went a bit cocky. Who cares, extra chips for us.

The question is - do I need to go on a turn at all, in that kind of situation?
My goal - force him to fold, not to gumble. if I had known that the turn's card gonna be that sobering for opponent beforehand, of course I should go but it could be the opposite as well. Let the cards to decide?
Or push right here, on a flop? But you know... He might go into "How could I fold my precious AK" mode. 20% odds of winning? BUT THIS IS AK!!!

Tell me, is it ok to not let the opponents to see other streets other than through all in while you're in advantage. Or you're only allowed to make it expensive for them and then make your next step on a turn's card, neather it will be good or bad for you.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This will be villain dependent of course but in my opinion you can raise the flop if you like but you could easily be raising into something that has you beat. Villain could be playing all 1010+ hands exactly this way. When you raise and then are re raised I would not be feeling great about where I stand in the hand. After all we have a vulnerable top pair to overcards with a Q kicker. I prefer to play this hand call the flop and keep villains worse hands in since they most likely will fold to a raise with overpairs. Your raise was small which might keep some worse hands in but also exposing yourself to a larger loss as well.

Your question is about should you just jam the flop over villains re raise and to me the answer is no. Doing that will only allow villain to play perfectly and fold all hands that you are beating. You get equity denial but you also are stacking yourself when you are up against a better hand. If you were to jam the flop you would probably get a result as you did on the turn where villain is just folding out all their hands that cant beat top pair as they know that is the minimum you have. You could argue you are repping a set here but depending on villain they arent folding an overpair here so I really think you are never getting a better hand to fold and rarely if ever (if you jam) are you getting a worse hand to call.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As noted, it is greatly dependent on the opponent. I felt like this was a pretty "standard" hand though. Top Pair is nice, but 9s are pretty vulnerable as well (and Q kicker isn't anything to write home about if you get raised). I liked the play on the Turn as is, but if they call or play back at you on the Turn, then you might be in trouble on this one. Up through the Flop, you've shown decent aggression in position (BTN is always nice :D ), but if they continue in the face of your re-raise AND then continue on the double barreled Turn, then we have to be thinking we might be behind. Other than a bluff (which is naturally possible), you are probably looking towards at least Top Pair with a better kicker; most players won't stay in that situation with a hand you beat like J9 or T9 (again, player dependent).

I liked the hand going to the Turn here, but I'd be somewhat concerned if they didn't fold on the Turn bet.

killing_random

killing_random

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer to play this hand call the flop and keep villains worse hands in since they most likely will fold to a raise with overpairs. Your raise was small which might keep some worse hands in but also exposing yourself to a larger loss as well.

I like to show aggression earlier, while pot is not that big, I think its cheaper.
QQ+ usually don't min-op-raise. If it were TT or JJ, he would make c-bet bigger, to make me fold my overcards as soon as possible. He op-raised from MP so i assume, I'm playing against yet empty overcards or some Ax.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to show aggression earlier, while pot is not that big, I think its cheaper.
QQ+ usually don't min-op-raise. If it were TT or JJ, he would make c-bet bigger, to make me fold my overcards as soon as possible. He op-raised from MP so i assume, I'm playing against yet empty overcards or some Ax.

Depends on villain for raise sizing. If you have played enough against them to know this then it is well played by you but there are many villains who will min raise with big hands even in early in a tournament, I am one of them. As far as the flop sizing is concerned, you again may be right that 1010 or JJ would go bigger but that again is villain dependent but even if that is correct, what are they doing with KK or AA? I dont think big pocket pairs will bet 3/4ths or more there trying to get folds, they will be looking for value. That of course all depends on villain so if you have reads on this specific villain then I am fine with what you did. If you are using a population read on villain then I think you will be running into here more than you think.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Flatting Q9s against an MP open is a bit of the loose side, even when you have the best seat. I guess, this can be fine, if the players in the blinds are very tight, so that they are going to fold a lot and almost never 3-bet. But this definitely has to be the bottom of, what we even consider flatting with.

Flop
This is part of the reason, why I am not totally in love with the preflop flat. You flop top pair, so this was one of the best boards for you, but your situation is still not very clean. You are obviously not going to fold to a C-bet, but if you raise and then jam the turn, you are likely only getting action from hands, that have you beat. And if on the other hand you just call, your hand is rather vulnerable to get drawn out on. I do lean towards just calling though and then basically look to play some later streets. If the turn is really bad like an ace, and he bombs the pot, you can probably just let it go.

Turn
As played I like the jam. Any AX picked up a gutshot, and if you can get him to fold a hand like AK or AJ with 10 outs, that a good result for you. And if he calls it off even better of course.

M

Mahdi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't get the play from both of the opponents, like at all
Why would you want to reraise on the flop and make pot huge against an opener who has the advantage of having overpairs against you? If you are flatting Q9s you are doing it to make some straights and flushes, not to get all your chips in with top pair 9, that's just stupid

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Commonly the only players who open different sizes based on their hole cards are bad players, so you are making an assumption on your experience only playing against bad players. When you end up facing a good player - he will stack you when you flop top pair on a 9 high flop, when he has a hand that is crushing you.

rabman50

rabman50

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As the villain I would try to figure out what hands you would raise and then call a re-raise on the flop. There are no obvious draws on this unconnected rainbow flop. The only OESD is 34 and I wouldn't think the button would call pre-flop with that. So as the villain I would put the hero on a set or an overpair to the board. The all-in on the turn is the only sizing you can use as you only have a pot sized bet left.

StealTheButton

StealTheButton

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So I play pretty tight preflop and I do not call with a lot of hands, and it saves me from getting into a lot of trouble and would not have been in the hand here. JQs or KQ and maybe KJs I'd call with. With that said, I lean towards the flat call on flop. Too often you are raising into a better hand such as A9, 10 10 +, etc. You are letting him see another card, but I don't like inflating the size of the pot here. Take advantage of your position- you get to act last with the most information.

Kind of an odd play by villain- min raising your re-raise and then giving up on the turn when another rag hits. His raise most of the time is not going to force a fold. Safe to say you are not dealing with a rocket scientist.

VictorOd

VictorOd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Looks like both hero and villain played that hand bad, and forum members already explained why. Well, it's microlimits. We can expect a lot of mistakes and hope that we make less of them.