Should i have played ak differently

blkmoney12

blkmoney12

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was playing in the pub leagues winners tournament. I had about 42000 chips and blinds were 400-800. Everybody folds and im on the button and i look down and i have a-k unsuited i decide too raise 2500 the sb who is the chip leader at the table with 62000 chips decides to re raise me too 7500 bb folds. Im think of re raising in this situation because of the history with this player he is capable making this re raise with a low than my ak. But at the end of te day i decided since i had position and a a blocker i decided to just call. The flop went 6-k-10 the re raiser decides too go all in i had a read that he didnt have aa i thought maybe he could maybe have kings or ak after a minute i decided too call he flips of pockets 10s too hit a set and my tournament was over. I want too know what could i have done differently with the ak i had.

M

Mug

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that this is a combination of bad luck and the hand being played poorly. If you thought he was capable and likely to be 3 betting light it may have been a better idea to 4 bet. It is hard to say for certain without knowing the opponent and your image at the table. If you 4 bet shove, it is very possible he lays it down. However, I don't think flatting the 3 bet in position was necessarily a mistake.

I think the mistake was calling off your entire stack on the flop with TPTK. You started the hand with roughly 53 big blinds and called off the remaining 43 with only a pair. When he severely overbet the pot, it should send up red flags. Without a solid read and alot of information on the player, I think it is tough spot and a tough lay down, but necessary.

Unless the player was loose, very aggro and showed a willingness to bluff off their entire stack, there is likely only a couple logical hands that you could be ahead of. AA, KT, 66, TT, KK all put you in a bad spot. The only two hands you have beat are KQ and KJ. Was the player likely to play either of these hands exactly the way it happened pre and post flop? I think you have to assume that they at the very least had AA in this instance.

BabyJesus64

BabyJesus64

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a very though play. I would have most likely done the same than you did. It's not easy to fold a top pair with the best kicker, if the opponent has been raising with the weaker hands. Flopping set and going all in isn't normally very good move, but in this case he got lucky beacause you had a decent hand as well.

robertocoelho

robertocoelho

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you played right and had bad luck variance of the game, had top pair with kicker A very good hand.

leandrette

leandrette

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
bad luck, sometimes it is part of the game :)

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the play would be the same even if you reraise again because scenario will be repeated where all chips be at the middle.

razva_raz94

razva_raz94

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't understand why would he go allin with the set and not checking or betting he was lucky that you had a pair because otherwise you would fold. That was a strange play.

MrEsprectro

MrEsprectro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like the other guys have mentioned, this is just an unlucky spot. You played it correctly. Of course you could have made a big 4bet, and he might have folded, but most likely all the chips would have gone in the pot.

teepack

teepack

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you played it fine pre-flop. Yes, the decision to fold postflop would have been best, but if you had reason to believe by his history that he could be bluffing, then you made a good call. Sets are the most difficult thing to detect.

R

Ranny

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You were very unlucky and he actually played it very well. He made his shove look very light. To play his almost nuts as an aggressive steal is a rare skill

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You did everything right. Just all have such failures. Since the opponent was inflated agressive at this point. I'm just a raise would have made the call, and only on the flop would decide what to do next.

vinylspiros

vinylspiros

PIRANHA-------->< (((º>
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a classic example of an aggro player with a loose table image hitting gold at the right time.

I dont think you could have folded this although you were pretty deep just because of the description you made of villain. If he didnt hit his miracle set,this thread wouldnt even exist.

I think you played it fine and just got terribly unlucky at the wrongest time.

T

Thenextbigthing

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Reraise and shoving all in are both standard just get as much in as possible with AK pre flop.

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

AtiFCOD

AtiFCOD

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was playing in the pub leagues winners tournament. I had about 42000 chips and blinds were 400-800. Everybody folds and im on the button and i look down and i have a-k unsuited i decide too raise 2500 the sb who is the chip leader at the table with 62000 chips decides to re raise me too 7500 bb folds. Im think of re raising in this situation because of the history with this player he is capable making this re raise with a low than my ak. But at the end of te day i decided since i had position and a a blocker i decided to just call. The flop went 6-k-10 the re raiser decides too go all in i had a read that he didnt have aa i thought maybe he could maybe have kings or ak after a minute i decided too call he flips of pockets 10s too hit a set and my tournament was over. I want too know what could i have done differently with the ak i had.

At this situation, AK is a very strong hand. Players are able to reraise with much weaker cards. So I think there are 2 ways:
The agressive way: reraise allin preflop.
Your calling way. At this situation you were very unlucky. It's almoust impossible to fold top pair top kicker in a BTN SB fight especially if you know that he is capable to make some tricks...unlucky hand.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this is why you don't post results..!

who folds AK preflop to a single 3bet in a live game?

calling is ok, 4betting and getting it in depending on the player and the general level of competition you face might be the better option though.

Once you get postflop, you are never folding. wp op.

onondaga

onondaga

Ukraine
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
what you could do differently with the cards you have? your choice was limited: call or fold/ :D u make call and was eliminated, how i understand/ if he make allin move before flop r u call it to with AK? i dont think u make something wrong, just bad luck