Should I have Folded KcQc?

H

HookTwister

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry this wouldn't go through the tool (wrong site). This is from a MTT. I'm HookTwister in position 4 of 7. Basically the hand went: I called a 3x raise, then a low all-in, then a 6x raise. Four hands saw the flop. Should I have folded to the 6x raise preflop? I was playing tight/aggressive with similar players.

Seat 1: fear*** (392.00 in chips)
Seat 4: Frea*** (8049.00 in chips)
Seat 6: JACK*** (5577.00 in chips)
Seat 7: y0da*** (5225.00 in chips)
Seat 8: mike*** (3693.00 in chips)
Seat 9: urha*** (4664.00 in chips)
Seat 10: HookTwister (7995.00 in chips)
GTR3***: posts small blind $100
JACK***: posts big blind $200
Dealt to HookTwister [ Qc Kc ]
y0da***: calls
mike***: folds
urha***: raises to $700
HookTwister: calls
fear***: is all in 392.0000
FRIT***: folds
Luck***: folds
Frea***: raises to $1,200
GTR3***: folds
JACK***: folds
y0da***: folds
urha***: calls
HookTwister: calls
@@@ F_L_O_P @@@ [ 4h 8h 8s ]
urha***: checks
HookTwister: checks
Frea***: is all in 6849.0000
urha***: is all in 3464.0000
HookTwister: folds
Frea***: returns uncalled bet $3,385
Frea***: shows Ks Jh
urha***: shows Qs Qd
fear***: shows Qh Kh
# # # TURN # # # [ 4d ]
&&& RIVER &&& [ 3s ]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
urha*** wins $9,352 with Two Pairs, Queens and Eights
*** SHOW DOWN ***
urha*** wins $2,068 with Two Pairs, Queens and Eights

katharine

katharine

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on your reads. Is urha tight? is frea loose? Your mid position and first are faced to call a 3.3BB sized raise, I'd have to think on calling that based on my reads (what I felt urha might have + what I think others might do in front of me). But once I call it and it is reraised to 6 times BB with the opener, urha calling the raise, I'd save my chips and let the two of them battle it out. If either one is the least bit nitty they prolly have a hand better than KJ (like QQ) and you should save your money.

What happened is this hand is always an inherent danger in calling a raise in mid-positrion with a decent but not stellar hand.

Now there are many smart people here that may disagree with me because with 700 already in and 500 more to call you may have had pot odds. But Urha opened in early position and committed almost third of her chips preflop. If I were you I would use that information and read her hand strong, making my King Jack look measly just muck them and save the 500 for another hand.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Difficult without reads - BTW, don't show results if you want meaningful analysis. And there seems to be a bunch of players missing from the stack sizes.

After you've called the first bet and the raise gets back around to you, I really don't see how you can fold for just a minimum raise more. If you were going to fold, you needed to fold to the first bet, not the raise.

Whether you should've folded at the outset really depends on the table - sometimes I don't mind coming in with a hand like this if you think it's likely this will become a volume pot with many callers. You'll get a (relatively) cheap look at a flop, on which you're either going to hit hard and hopefully take down a big pot, or fold for no further investment.

Your stack size doesn't encourage trying this too often though, and from middle position I could probably just happily fold this for no investment preflop.

Standard fold on the flop.

Folding in Poker