Should i have folded?

R

RazzleDazzle

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So i had my deepest run in the .10cent rebuy on full tilt coming in 24th with no rebuys and no adds, but im just wondering whether i played my last hand wrong. So im down to 45k in chips with the blinds at 5k/10k. I'm in the big blind so now i have almost a quarter of my chips in the pot just from the blind. Someone with a big stack raises about 5 seats away from me enough that i would just about be all in - he had a lot of chips so the raise wasn't as much for him, i think he had like 250k. So i was dealt ace nine off suit, which isn't the greatest hand in the world, but i knew i needed to double up very soon because there was no sense trying to ride to a higher pay level because it only was 1$ more and the odds that i coulda folded to it were very low because like 6 more people needed to be knocked out. So I put my last 2k into the pot preflop because theres obviously no flop that i can fold to after putting all my chips in. So his cards turn over and he has pocket eights, so i was surprised, but happy that I wasn't dominated, and had 2 over cards. So it was essentially a race, and the board didn't cooperate, pairing 7's and kings, with a blank on the river. So should I have folded here after being in 10k on the big blind? The people at my table were pushing lots of chips around with subpar hands so I did expect i would at least have 2 live cards. Or should I have waited a little longer to try for a pocket pair or AK AQ etc.?

RichKo

RichKo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree...with your stack I probably would have done the same thing. Better luck next time!

P

pkrook

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say I...

done the same. Congrats on making it as far as u did! Tuff that u were getting closer and closer to final table. But being shortstacked as u were u did the best u could with that hand.

Mr.Flushee

Mr.Flushee

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you did the right thing there also, unless you wanted to fold and let the blind chip go around the table again and hope for a better spot to put your money in. But that would be a gamble in its self.

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You made a quick decision and in that situation it was correct. Personally with more than 4-5 players sitting at a table, I wouldn't feel too comfortable with A-9f in my BB as my hole cards. I always believe in being the one that's pushing instead of being the one pushed. Usually it's the aggressor that can take down extra pots and steal extra blinds.

I'm not sure how I would have acted with blinds decreasing that quickly but I would have folded and tried to steal some blinds as the chips go around again.

C

Cilderr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A9 is nice hand in that spot, you are big blind, your M is very small and you had to push. Mucking that A9 was the worst thing you could do.

rcman1980

rcman1980

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
u got very lucky and u got two over cards so it was good bet this time...
u didnt mantion how many people u were befor the money.
if it was closer to the many maybe i was thinking twise...
but with AK against 88 is almost the same as A9 ....
so this time u were right....

T

titch11

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in this situation alot of players might fold. but when you are quite shortstacked considering the blinds you fit into the all-in status. most hands you might play from then on until you double up a few time will be push or fold scenario

i would have called

J

jackh86

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i rather play pocket pairs in this situation, they always showed me a better chance to winning the pot. or suited ones as well.
i would have folded that A9o. anyaway maybe the reason is that I don't like this hand. never had luck with it.

buick60

buick60

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you waited too long.If the money didn't change much you shoulda started pushing when you got down to the 10 to 12 BB range.Who knows,you could've stole the blinds a few times or doubled up and then your right back in it.When you get as small as you were,the rest of the table has no problem calling you.

T

TheHoag57

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At that point you had to push, absolutely. Sooner or later you have to gamble with a stack like that and you picked a good time. Do the same next time, you may get a better result.

Folding in Poker