Set on wet flop

C

Caysewell

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey all,

Help me fix a hole in my game. I have a pocket pair, flopped a set on a wet board and I find myself at a lost for what to do. How would my opponent and my image affect my decisions? How about stack sizes?

Here's an example from a tourney with 4 people seeing the flop and I flopped bottom set.

Stacks:
BB with 33452
UTG with 4018
UTG+1 with 8583
MP1 with 4496
MP2 with 7900
MP3 with 28524
CO with 7400
BTN with 20723
SB with 9641

Blinds: 150/300
Site: Pokerstars
Dealt to SB:9♠ 9♦
Sklansky group 3
Preflop:
1 players fold.
UTG+1 raises 600 to 900
4 players fold.
BTN calls [900]
Hero calls [750]
BB calls [600]
Total folds this street: 5
Potsize: 3600
Flop:
Q♠ 10♣ 9♥
Hero: ???

If I made top or middle set instead, what difference would it make?

Thanks in advance!

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
These are the worst hands to play. With your stack size you have to decide here and now if you want to go with this hand. If you decide to go with it you have to shove here as your stack isn't big enough for what your raise should be and still leave you a correct stack size behind.

Depending on my read of UTG+1 & BTN I would have either 3-bet this or folded it. Set mining OOP in a multiway raised flop is difficult at best.

Since this is in the HA section, I'll only analyze this scenario. To explore playing midPP from the blinds I'd post in the Strategy Section.

ZZFLOP

ZZFLOP

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey all,

Help me fix a hole in my game. I have a pocket pair, flopped a set on a wet board and I find myself at a lost for what to do. How would my opponent and my image affect my decisions? How about stack sizes?

Here's an example from a tourney with 4 people seeing the flop and I flopped bottom set.

Stacks:
BB with 33452
UTG with 4018
UTG+1 with 8583
MP1 with 4496
MP2 with 7900
MP3 with 28524
CO with 7400
BTN with 20723
SB with 9641

Blinds: 150/300
Site: Pokerstars
Dealt to SB:9♠ 9♦
Sklansky group 3
Preflop:
1 players fold.
UTG+1 raises 600 to 900
4 players fold.
BTN calls [900]
Hero calls [750]
BB calls [600]
Total folds this street: 5
Potsize: 3600
Flop:
Q♠ 10♣ 9♥
Hero: ???

If I made top or middle set instead, what difference would it make?

Thanks in advance!

If you made top set, you only have to worry about the BB, he certainly has the stack to make a speculative call with KJ.
Middle set, same problem + the fact that UTG+1 could have QQ.

I would check

Last edited:
T

theholdemhitman

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
if i had top set there i wouldnt mind drawing against a striaght because you still have outs to fill up.. but if you dont get it in on the flop the turn would be hard to call especially if its a 9 or ace...

C

Caysewell

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks guys for the replies. So here's what I did: I check-raised all in on the flop.

Flop:
Q♠ 10♣ 9♥
Hero checks
BB checks
UTG+1 bets [300]
BTN raises [3000]
Hero raises [8701]
1 players fold.
UTG+1 calls [7343]
BTN calls [5701]
Total folds this street: 1
Potsize: 28645
Turn:
7♥
Potsize: 28645
River:
Q♥
Hero shows :
9♠ 9♦
BTN shows :
Q♣ 10♥
BTN wins 2116 from main pot
UTG+1 shows :
J♦ K♠
BTN wins 26889 from main pot

utg+1 did flopped the straight, unfortunately button called and turned over top two pair, blocking most of my outs to a boat.

Should I have just donk shove? utg+1 is definitely calling and maybe button wouldn't have come along after 2 all-ins?
How would you play it?

Melkor

Melkor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Check-raise all-in is ok but we are risking a check behind which we cannot afford really. I see no reason for not betting out here on the flop and getting it in on a non-jack or king turn or on the flop if we get raised.

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Aside from his stack size, the button should not have called that bet from an early position raiser with a caller, with that hand.

robert_wrath

robert_wrath

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This isn't a the greatest flop for a set with 3 other players in the hand. Here's a crazy thought: bet twice the pot ( 7200 ) leaving you with 2441. If indeed a player flopped open ended, he isn't getting the correct odds to call down ( 1 1/2 :1 ). If you get called or raised all in, you still have drawing out. Next and worse case scenario, he flops the nuts. You still have 10 outs twice to fill up. This will substantially increase your chip stack.

CrossCrucificio

CrossCrucificio

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What i would do in this situation is make a feeler bet. Let's see who may have been helped by this flop. The only thing here at this point to worry about his a straight on the board. Make a minimal bet, if you get a reraise, make the call. At least, you have outs, a pair on the board should be golden.

LuckyChippy

LuckyChippy

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What i would do in this situation is make a feeler bet. Let's see who may have been helped by this flop. The only thing here at this point to worry about his a straight on the board. Make a minimal bet, if you get a reraise, make the call. At least, you have outs, a pair on the board should be golden.

If you're going to call an all in you might as well shove the flop, then you have two ways to win, outs or the fold.