UTG (t11400)
UTG+1 (t15678)
MP1 (t10165)
MP2 (t8105)
CO (t4935)

Preflop: Hero is BB with
5c.gif
5h.gif
2 folds, MP1 calls t200, 2 folds, Button calls t200, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t800)
5s.gif
ad.gif
2s.gif
(4 players)
SB checks, Hero bets t500, MP1 folds, Button calls t500, SB folds.

Turn: (t1800)
7s.gif
(2 players)
Hero bets t1100, Button raises to t3000, Hero ...

Villain is roughly 18/7/2 and hasn't done anything out of the ordinary. I've been TAG, but have opened up somewhat lately on a tight table. He might think I'm stealing a good portion here...

How often does he have the flush (or 34)? What's our action?

tosborn

tosborn

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I call this with the intention of shoving any non spade, 3x, or 4x river. I think this is AsXx, two pair, or other combo enough of the time to get it in here.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why would a two pair Ax or 34 wait until a spade turn (and possibly get outdrawn) to raise though?

tosborn

tosborn

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The spade turn could have given villain additional outs and also means that he gets to represent the flush and find out where you are.

Look at it from villains perspective if he holds:

AsXx- Nut flush draw + top pair (meh kicker) fits this line. You said that you've opened up and thus your range has widened if villain is paying attention.

He might think I'm stealing a good portion here...

Once again if villain is good, he would make this play preflop with just about any two cards. Thus the 7 could have completed his two pair and this would make the exact type of play.

He could be attemting a resteal.

With all of this in his range, I do a stop and go this deep. Take advantage of the fold equity and force villain to make a decision for his stack. A scare card hits and we can still get away from the hand.

Villain HAS played this like a completed flush, but, I feel like there are enough semi-bluff hands in his range to make shoving a profitable long term play given what you have said your image is.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fair enough. I tanked at this point, and really wasn't sure what to do (hence the thread). I ended up making the call with the intention of check-calling the river. A bluff/weaker hand will probably lead again, and I can call while I save money vs a hand that beats me. We do give a FD a cheap river though...

Anyways, river is a 4 which kills all action (I'm kind of thankful for this), and villain checks behind with A6o (no spades).

Thanks for the input, Tos.

skoldpadda

skoldpadda

Caveman Eye Surgeon
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I call getting 3:1 with about 4:1 chance of boating river. Ck/call river if no spade or ace comes.

jaketrevvor

jaketrevvor

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I aggree with skoldpadda. I think flat calling is definately the right play here and pushing would be foolish because you'll only get called if you're beat.

After a call on the turn, here's the action on the river:

You fill-up with a deuce (or make quad fives): you make a small value bet - if he has the flush he pays you off big time (huge implied odds), if he doesn't you may get a call out of Aces-up

You fill-up with an A or 7: you probably check-call him down as due to action on the turn he could be holding A7 - but if he has the flush (a little more likely I think) you get payed off again.

You don't fill-up and a blank comes on the river: check-call him down (you pay off his flush but he pays you off with a bluff or Aces-up (having said that he would probably check it with this))

You don't fill-up and a spade comes on the river: possibly a check-call possibly a fold - hard to say but it all depends on your read.

Overall no matter what comes off on the river you'll be unsure whether you're beat or not but the odds your getting on a call on the turn are too great to fold. Not sure this really helps though. :confused:

jt

Cheetah

Cheetah

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree calling is the best action. Also, the size of his raise is suspicious. Wouldn't he tend to min-raise you with a made flush?

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not sure, Cheetah. A smallish raise like this fits a weak ace perfectly (like I said, he might put me on a steal or a pair <aces), but so does a flush or better hand.

My call was more out of running out of time to figure out what to do rather than me thinking it was the best option tbh.

Full Flush Poker