SB special

brutus

brutus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
first hand of $5 SNG. wonder if i coulda got more outta him.

pokerstars Game #5955083643: Tournament #30157051, $5.00+$0.50 Hold'em No Limit - Level I (10/20) - 2006/08/17 - 20:24:41 (ET)
Table '30157051 2' 9-max Seat #1 is the button
Seat 1: flyingspade (1500 in chips)
Seat 2: brutus34 (1500 in chips)
Seat 3: powelba1 (1500 in chips)
Seat 4: Cap #9 (1500 in chips)
Seat 5: jwce33 (1500 in chips)
Seat 6: Rayven3801 (1500 in chips)
Seat 7: Quite Storm (1500 in chips)
Seat 8: Joker2375 (1500 in chips)
Seat 9: SirKnot (1500 in chips)
brutus34: posts small blind 10
powelba1: posts big blind 20
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to brutus34 [3s Qc]
Cap #9 has timed out while disconnected
Cap #9: folds
Cap #9 is sitting out
jwce33: calls 20
Rayven3801: folds
Quite Storm: calls 20
Joker2375: calls 20
SirKnot: calls 20
flyingspade: calls 20
brutus34: calls 10
powelba1: checks
*** FLOP *** [2h 3c 3h]
brutus34: checks
powelba1: bets 40
jwce33: folds
Quite Storm: folds
Joker2375: folds
SirKnot: calls 40
flyingspade: calls 40
brutus34: raises 40 to 80
powelba1: folds
*** TURN *** [2h 3c 3h] [Qh]
SirKnot: checks
flyingspade: checks
*** RIVER *** [2h 3c 3h Qh] [8d]
brutus34: bets 700
SirKnot: folds
flyingspade: calls 700
*** SHOW DOWN ***
brutus34: shows [3s Qc] (a full house, Threes full of Queens)
flyingspade: shows [9h Jh] (a flush, Queen high)
brutus34 collected 1820 from pot

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lead the turn; if these guys are calling, that means that they either have a 3, an overpair, or a draw (prob. a flush draw). The flush hit, and you also filled your boat, so anyone who hit their flush will definitely pay you off.

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with what Chuck said. Also, I'm not a fan of the minraise on the flop. You're adding a pretty miniscule amount into the pot while giving your opponents information about your hand which they can use on later streets.

brutus

brutus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i didnt really want them to put me on 3s just maybe Q with high kicker so i could milk some more money out of them instead of maybe chasing them off.

adam57

adam57

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you had the nuts there i would have gone all in, hes got a queen high flush which is a pretty good hand and I doubt he would have suspected the full house. if he calls you double up if not you still get a decent pot, how did you finish in the tournament?

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
adam57 said:
you had the nuts there

Actually he has the third nuts behind QQ and 88.

Vintage82

Vintage82

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I figure if the guys willing to call half his stack on the 1st hand, he's likely to have gone the whole hog. I think the min raise on the flop let him know that you might have trips and he's probably thinking you overplayed them.

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It always nice to win a big pot in the first hand of a sit n go.

brutus

brutus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i was hoping that if he was willing to pay the 700 he would raise me and push all in. i didnt have him on the flush and was kicking myself when i seen it cause i knew he woulda called me if i pushed all in. after considering it though if i was going to see if he would go 700 then might as well push all in. i checked after the turn to check his hand strength trying to see if he hit his flush but he checked too, but i thought after the river that if he did hit it then he wouldve reraised me and push and was really surprised that called the 700 without pushing. being the first hand i had no reads on his playing style. i just didnt want to scare him off and thought if he had the flush he woulda reraised and if he had A Q, K Q, or a flush with low cards then he'd call the 700 but a push woulda ran him away. im at the point of my game that i am working on how much to bet and when to maximise the profit from my hand without chasing them off, so hope ya'll dont mind if i post more like this seeing if i could have gotten more out of a hand, or didnt bet enough and let them stay in the hand and get lucky. this is the part of my game that i need the most work on. i wont fill the forum up with hands though trying to get help on the betting. not looking for results thinking and hindsight but thoughts like youd be thinkin not knowing what they have in their pocket. hope it wouldnt get on anyones nerves if i do post to try to get help on the betting and like i said i wont fill the forum up trying to get help with every hand.

withawedge

withawedge

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Brutus,

If this would have been much later in the Tourney what would you have done then with your hole cards, because basically they are Junk.

No criticism here just see hands posted like this all the time on the Bad Beat Board.

:withstupi

brutus

brutus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
later in the game no doubt i wouldve folded. figured if i folded at this point it would show that im super tight and give everyone information on my game that theyd use against me. so it would be worth it to pay the 10 and fold after the flop.

withawedge

withawedge

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good. Just checking lol

:withstupi

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's 130 in the pot and it's 10 to call, so you're getting 13 to 1 on your money. That's a call with any 2 cards, and this hand shows exactly why a call with any 2 cards can be a good idea. It's an insignificant proportion of your stack and the implied odds are huge.

This wouldn't be one for the Bad Beat board... it's only a bad beat if all the money goes in then a lucky card comes up to give the underdog the pot. Here brutus just had the best hand when he was betting, and anyone with a flush should have known there was a possible full house since the board was paired.

Like Chuck says, lead out on the turn. Even if there are no made flushes out there, you may get people calling with a flush draw. Also with the flush draw on the flop, you should make a pot-sized bet on the flop to protect against anyone making it. Any other heart except the Queen and you'd be losing, but you near-enough gave them a free card.

Last edited:
ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Next time you post a hand analysis, Brutus, do it without the results. This will get rid of the results-oriented posts, for one.
What you should be doing every big hand like this, or every hand for that matter, is what could my opponents be holding that would make them play the way they're playing? Did they raise PF (pair/big ace or king/bluff)? Did they bet the flop hard or soft? Did they check after you called? etc etc.

My line of thought for this hand would be this:

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to brutus34 [3s Qc]
Cap #9 has timed out while disconnected
Cap #9: folds
Cap #9 is sitting out
jwce33: calls 20
Rayven3801: folds
Quite Storm: calls 20
Joker2375: calls 20
SirKnot: calls 20
flyingspade: calls 20
brutus34: calls 10
powelba1: checks
*** FLOP *** [2h 3c 3h]
powelba1: bets 40
jwce33: folds
Quite Storm: folds
Joker2375: folds
brutus34: raises 40 to 80
powelba1: folds
SirKnot: calls 40 - maybe a 3 aswell; maybe flush draw or drawing to overcards? maybe something like 45? or maybe 66?
flyingspade: calls 40 - same thoughts...
*** TURN *** [2h 3c 3h] Q♥
Okay now the flush has hit...that's one of my opponents likely holdings - you should lead out here. Kind of a scare card for some, but for the flush, this is exactly what they want to see.

SirKnot: checks - strange...
flyingspade: checks - also strange...thinking one of these two guys maybe has 22, maybe is playing medium pair strangely...this is why you should lead out; you get more info and get to define your opponents' hands. There's no better way to get chips in the pot than to bet!
*** RIVER *** [2h 3c 3h Qh] 8♦
brutus34: bets 700
SirKnot: folds
flyingspade: calls 700 - so he turned out to have the flush; I got $5 on him paying you off for all his chips had you led the turn, though.
*** SHOW DOWN ***
brutus34: shows [3s Qc] (a full house, Threes full of Queens)
flyingspade: shows [9h Jh] (a flush, Queen high)
brutus34 collected 1820 from pot

In order to get the most money out of a big hand like this, you have to have a good idea what your opponent's holding. You have to know how much he's going to call; say you somehow narrowed him down to 66; he's probably not going to call much on the river here, so maybe only a 100 or less bet would do. Knowing he had the flush, you could have pushed and he'd have undoubtedly called. Leading the turn would have made that info available to you, and you would have made more.

i wont fill the forum up with hands though trying to get help on the betting. not looking for results thinking and hindsight but thoughts like youd be thinkin not knowing what they have in their pocket. hope it wouldnt get on anyones nerves if i do post to try to get help on the betting and like i said i wont fill the forum up trying to get help with every hand.
That's what this forum section's for dood!
Don't worry about 'filling it up' - go right ahead, and I know for sure people will try to help out by posting their opinion. I'll do my best to input some shtuff aswell. It helps the posters when we analyze aswell; keeps us practicing.

brutus

brutus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
*** TURN *** [2h 3c 3h] Q♥
SirKnot: checks
flyingspade: checks

this is the point where it really threw me off. i was figuring one of them was chasing the flush and when it hit i thought for sure they would bet and i was going to try to check raise here. when they both checked it threw a monkey wrench into my thoughts, i then put them on middle pair at best, and tried to come up with an amount that would be called and if they pushed id do a phil hellmuth patented all in call.