Satellite play - BOOM hand

PokerFunKid

PokerFunKid

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey everyone. A intresting hands in a $1,10 PCA sattelite. First 9 get paid $215 ticket to the PCA satelite.

4/12 is my position. 10th player has 31K, 11th 26k, 12th 24k.

I wasn't really worried for aces, i was worried to get bad beat since i had a decent stack. After this fold i manage to win a ticket :)

http://www.boomplayer.com/nl/poker-hands/Boom/11842692_BA7F410482

What would you do and why?

Thanks for reading,
Mat

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very good fold.

This is a perfect example of how you play satellites. Regardless of what hand he has, even if we know he has 72o he covers us, we should still fold. When our tournament life is on the life and we are 4/12, with all 9 receiving the same prize money, last thing we want to do is give free equity to short stacks. We can pretty much guarantee ourselves into first place money (the ticket)

An even better example of this would be to fold AA in this exact same spot as that would be the correct play.

suby_rafael

suby_rafael

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very good fold.

This is a perfect example of how you play satellites. Regardless of what hand he has, even if we know he has 72o he covers us, we should still fold. When our tournament life is on the life and we are 4/12, with all 9 receiving the same prize money, last thing we want to do is give free equity to short stacks. We can pretty much guarantee ourselves into first place money (the ticket)

An even better example of this would be to fold AA in this exact same spot as that would be the correct play.

+1. Brilliant laydown. :congrats:

P

polda

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
good fold...

also at this stage is not bad idea, to keep stalling, so guys on the other table have to play more hands...

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I bubbled this one, I misclicked and called off with tens. Good fold, better if you can find it with aces :)

PokerFunKid

PokerFunKid

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks :) I would've laydown aces there also probably. If i was short i would've snapped ofcourse. I didn't understand the satty play very well untill a few days ago. But cause of the satty play tips on this site i do. Ty Ty :) My ROI is crazy on satty's now :D

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey everyone. A intresting hands in a $1,10 PCA sattelite. First 9 get paid $215 ticket to the PCA satelite.

4/12 is my position. 10th player has 31K, 11th 26k, 12th 24k.

I wasn't really worried for aces, i was worried to get bad beat since i had a decent stack. After this fold i manage to win a ticket :)

http://www.boomplayer.com/nl/poker-hands/Boom/11842692_BA7F410482

What would you do and why?

Thanks for reading,
Mat
huh....in the boomplayer I see a stack of 11K....
Anyways...clear fold.....if you can fold yourself into a seat, nothing else matters....
In this case you're not even soon to get hurt due to the blinds....
I'd say thank you to the shover....some stacks will get hurt, but by folding it's not gonna be yours.

Equity wise....well you're almost 100 % sure of a seat, so what's to gain if you call ?
Calling would mean risking your whole equity....
I'll tell you what....I would snapfold AA in that spot...

edit...see RamdeeBen nailed it already...

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very disciplined fold, you say you were 4/12 with a good 16bb stack, no need to risk your tourney life even if you know you are getting it in as a 73% favorite in this spot. I too, would be folding AA here.

Here is an interesting situation that came to mind, lets say the CO folds and you are on the button and have an open spot with KK, are you shoving? If so what range. For me personally I would be shoving knowing I have fold equity with a range of JJ+ AK+

C

cyclone45

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why would ANYONE fold aces preflop?

P

polda

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
because with AA you are loosing between 8% - 18% of the time and sometimes with stack sizes it is not worth a risk...
we talking about calling all in with AA...
when you are 1st to act, so it is easy push

J

jj20002

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
very fishy shove with enough stack and covered by 2 or 3 players, i hope it was not me

(indeed very likely could be me)!!

Archer_eSp

Archer_eSp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Read the thread title. Satellite.

First place pays the same as 9th place.

OP didnt say it, but the prizes arent the same
its an $1 MTT whit 500 runners i think, the tickets are added to the prize pool

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OP didnt say it, but the prizes arent the same
its an $1 MTT whit 500 runners i think, the tickets are added to the prize pool

Well you're effectively playing for the tickets, not the prize money because each ticket has a bigger value than the cashes.

Like, you aren't going to call with KK because you're likely good because if you bust, you might win say $10 where as if you fold, you guarantee yourself a $109 ticket + some extra dollars on top.

skrsh76

skrsh76

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agreed it is a fold. At what level do you call this shove with KK? when you are 9th or 7th?

Farseer

Farseer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I bubbled this one, I misclicked and called off with tens. Good fold, better if you can find it with aces :)

Aces would not be a fold here, I think. KK usually meets at this spot one ace which has ~30% chance that you get screwed. With AA you always have better odds and if opponent has one ace you have him nailed even more better.

With pocket kings I agree, good fold which shows discipline that most satellite players lack. Even with separate small prize pool I think that this is fold.

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In this situation only call , because other villains have not very short stacks ( 5bb it still playabble stack and they can double ), what we can fold and waiting ticket when all busted....

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands Poker Tells